Controversial Statements About Your Club

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

In a way he’s probably right.

There’s no guarantee Johnson would’ve got him playing at his best like McCall did.

I think he also benefited from dropping down a level.

I'd rather have taken a punt on him than spunk money on Andy Ryan. Anybody who suggests otherwise is a maniac.

Barry Nicholson is the most technically gifted player to ever have played for us, Adam Hammill is second.

Willie Gibson was easily good enough to play in the EPL, if it wasn't for his mentality and lack of work rate he'd have been a Scotland regular and a much richer man than he is.

Andy Kirk is the club's best striker of the modern era

Gary Mason > Hartley, Brown and Ferguson

If AJ had started Faiss in the final game of the league 1 winning season, we'd be playing in the premiership right now.

Jan-Yves M'Voto was the best centre back at the club when he was released.

Jim McIntyre was an atrocious manager for us, he owes his career in football management to Martin Hardie and Kevin Rutkiewitcz, the former producing the best form of his career to prevent him bottling the title to the Wee Team.

If we hadn't sacked Leishman (the first time) we'd be the 3rd biggest club in Scotland currently.

If Jeffries had won the Cowden game he'd be up there with Paton and Leishman as a club legend.

We only got to the cup final in 07 because Jim Hamilton dived.

Dorus De Vries is the best goalkeeper to ever have played for the club.

4 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Barry Nicholson is the most technically gifted player to ever have played for us, Adam Hammill is second.

Willie Gibson was easily good enough to play in the EPL, if it wasn't for his mentality and lack of work rate he'd have been a Scotland regular and a much richer man than he is.

If AJ had started Faiss in the final game of the league 1 winning season, we'd be playing in the premiership right now.

Jim McIntyre was an atrocious manager for us, he owes his career in football management to Martin Hardie and Kevin Rutkiewitcz, the former producing the best form of his career to prevent him bottling the title to the Wee Team.

If we hadn't sacked Leishman (the first time) we'd be the 3rd biggest club in Scotland currently.

If Jeffries had won the Cowden game he'd be up there with Paton and Leishman as a club legend.

I disagree with every single one of those statements 🤣 controversial right enough.

You been on the glue again?

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

In a way he’s probably right.

There’s no guarantee Johnson would’ve got him playing at his best like McCall did.

I think he also benefited from dropping down a level.

This is my thinking. We had him on trial, as did other clubs who passed on him. By all accounts he was heading for the juniors. He needed to drop down a level and have his arsed kicked. 

Had he signed for us at the time he would have been a very average, perhaps even poor, striker in the Championship. He needed a total attitude change and by getting a decent Championship contract I don't think he would have done it, and I don't think Johnston would have been able to sort him the way McCall did.

He was lazy and out of shape which is why we were only one of a number of clubs who passed on him.

When he dropped down to Ayr he realised, by his own admission, that his career was on a downward trajectory, and to his credit sorted things big time, with a lot of input from McCall.

Gary Mason was a better player than most, if not all, the midfield jobbers given Scotland caps at the time, including Barry Ferguson, Paul Gallacher and the like.

Dorus De Vries is the best goalkeeper to ever play for us.

Craig Brewster and Stevie Crawford should have been Scotland regulars 2002-2004, easily.

Andy Kirk should be inducted in to the DAFC hall of fame. Only Stevie Crawford can surpass him in the striking department in the modern era.

We could quite easily have been much more successful given the catchment area, being the biggest team in the 2nd most populous council area in Scotland and having a fantastic platform to do so given our unbelievable success in the 60s. Hearts/Hibs levels of successful IMO.

2 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Both great players, but ever? Nah.

Another great player but he absolutely wasn't good enough to play in the EPL or for Scotland. You're right about his mentality though. He should have played at a higher level for longer than he did.

Definitely the best since Andy Smith and Stevie Crawford.

No.

If AJ had started Faiss in the final game of the league 1 winning season, we'd be playing in the premiership right now

I can see where you're going with this. It's not a crazy shout but dependent on El Bak staying.

I liked him. We should have kept him. Morris was better though, even if his map reading skills are rubbish.

He was a decent manager for us because he put together a decent team. He was out of his depth in the SPL though

Don't think we would. We wouldn't have been able to sustain it for nearly 30 years, especially the mad fees being paid out.

This is just silly. Jefferies was an average manager for us and nowhere near to legend status. I rate Allan Johnstone higher.

I'm struggling to remember this. What game was this in? We put in a series of good performances to get to the final.

He's one of them certainly 

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Gary Mason was a better player than most, if not all, the midfield jobbers given Scotland caps at the time, including Barry Ferguson, Paul Gallacher and the like.

Dorus De Vries is the best goalkeeper to ever play for us.

Craig Brewster and Stevie Crawford should have been Scotland regulars 2002-2004, easily.

Andy Kirk should be inducted in to the DAFC hall of fame. Only Stevie Crawford can surpass him in the striking department in the modern era.

We could quite easily have been much more successful given the catchment area, being the biggest team in the 2nd most populous council area in Scotland and having a fantastic platform to do so given our unbelievable success in the 60s. Hearts/Hibs levels of successful IMO.

Gary Mason absolutely was not better than Barry Ferguson.

I think Kirk will be (deservedly) inducted at some point. He's in the top ten of our all time scorers.

Agree re Crawford and Brewster. Most of our fans were saying that at the time.

The catchment area is something all clubs save two suffer from, as sadly bus loads of cowardly bigots leave from all over Scotland to go see Sevco (and before that Rangers, who dies) and Celtic.

If jim Duffy started nacho Novo in the 2003 cup final we would have won
Agreed. Goal apart Rangers were tired and very average in that game. Novo terrorised them down the right flank when he came on, but came on far too late. Duffy bottled that team selection.

He gets a lot of stick for the 95 Coca Cola Cup final, but I think that's harsh tbh.

Farid el Alagui gets a very harsh time from our support considering some of the shite he had as team mates who contributed even less than he did.

I would also say that we were more than a good striker away from staying up.

El Alagui was shite though but was more down to a complete inability to run.

18 hours ago, Leonard Cohen said:

I thought that we offered Reid a new contract but he decided to move on.

Maybe it was the right time for him to go, but replacing him with Mark Roberts was the mistake.

Reid had relegated us twice, his time was up, I think both parties agreed at the time.

As for Roberts, on paper, an appalling appointment and in reality, an appalling appointment and it took three years to get rid of him (and about 1000 fans)

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I would also say that we were more than a good striker away from staying up.

El Alagui was shite though but was more down to a complete inability to run.

He looked like he was wading through treacle every time he had to run, but still ended up one of our top scorers despite playing only a third of the season.

Never understood why he gets so much ire than just about anyone else bar Harkins from that squad.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

As for Roberts, on paper, an appalling appointment and in reality, an appalling appointment and it took three years to get rid of him (and about 1000 fans)

Not an understatement. I just grimaced at the thought. 

over it abandon thread GIF