Airdrie V Stranraer

9 hours ago, The clean living guy said:

Lots of excitement about the big one. Wonder if Airdrie will bother with a midfield on Saturday or just by pass it like the Raith game. 

Can't wait......should be a cracker jack of a game.

1- 0 either way.

52 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've luckily missed this today!
I cannot believe he's started the boy Reilly again, that's absolutely mental.
At least big nats in the team though eh emoji19.pngemoji849.png

Didn’t make it Ammo but sore eyes watching text. Hope that means we are improving lol.

1 hour ago, thomas 62 said:

Didn’t make it Ammo but sore eyes watching text. Hope that means we are improving lol.

Have not seen your games obviously but the early goal did let you settle and move the ball quite well. A dreadful bit of defending gave your guy the second. I thought at half time that your stout defence and behind the ball tactics would do the job. Airdrie were better and did deserve the first goal and we gained a great advantage from the Red Card as your 10 men began to flag.  A draw looked likely from the pressure and I was mighty relieved. At least you have broken last season's run.  it was a coupon buster but Airdrie are missing something yet again this season

1 hour ago, Blue1870 said:

Fitbas finished. Sent off for trying to score with an overhead kick. Cheers ref

I thought it looked harsh but given the way the Refs have been told to clamp down on "injuring" challenges I will wait to see highlights (or in our first half zilch)  before further comment on that. Remember the 4 Red cards at Broadwood so many years ago and despite some poor Refs ,we are still playing.

Who would have thought playing players with a bit of creativity and urgency would would result in goals? Probably won't catch on. 

I've been more patient with Murray than others have been but that first half was utterly dreadful and it was largely down to the system he played and the personnel he picked. The same mistakes - inability to defend set pieces - and bizarre team selections are made every week and he never seems to learn from them. Gallagher is not a winger. He's not going to beat his man. get to the byline and send in a cross but he will get you goals. Everyone knows this from the first 3 or 4 times we tried to play Gallagher on the wing - except from Murray. But if he hasn't realised he's not a winger by now maybe he never will. I was willing to give Roy the benefit of the doubt that he might be better playing upfront rather than out wide but he still contributes absolutely nothing. Made Gallagher being shoved out on the wing all the more galling. Reilly is an empty shirt and I've no idea what he's done to merit playing over Roberts or Hawkshaw. Wedderburn plays the odd nice pass but he cannot play in a midfield two at all and he was badly exposed and way off the pace today, particularly in the first half. We were carved open so easily for Stranraer's second goal and as much as the defence were at fault Wedderburn has his share of the blame too. Wedderburn and Reilly were also sitting way too deep for most of the first half. It's all well and good for Murray to tell them to push up but he's setting them up that way. Thomson is a threat but is wasted out on the left rather than in his natural position wide right. Hope he's okay after his sore landing today. 

Second half we were better (I was going to say much better but that might be stretching it a little) and that was purely due to the introduction of Roberts (and to a lesser extent Hawkshaw). it made a difference actually having players who could pick a pass, drive forward with the ball and who actually have a bit of pace and creativity. Not to mention who are also a goal threat. Roberts shot would have been a magnificent though scantly deserved winning goal. 

If Murray takes anything from this game it should be - play your best players in their best positions and play players who actually have a bit of creativity about them. As I said during the week we're making things needlessly difficult for ourselves by setting up so defensively when there's absolutely no need to. 

Diamonds were dire first half. Foxed by crowding keeper tactic and then closed down at the back to the second. That aside Stranraer had few  opportunities.

Looked so much better in the second half with Roberts in the midfield. Drive and efforts on goal that were lacking in the initial period. A pick each week please IM