Sign in to follow this  
TAFKAM

Smart Meters

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I've looked at their spiel and it sounds ideal in that I wouldn't need to faff about with spreadsheets in my own time (hats off to you for that!) but I don't really know if they would have preferences based on the commission they receive from certain energy suppliers. 

Sorry, never noticed the changing supplier bit. I just meant for keeping track of bills in general.

Got smart meters installed recently so that we could take advantage of cheap overnight charging of our electric car. 
Monitor (chameleon tech IDH3) shows electricity usage ok, but doesn’t seem to link to the smart gas meter. Any ideas?

On 29/06/2020 at 16:12, Merkland Red said:

Cheers mate.

I've seen it advertised but not looked in to it. I have a spreadsheet I use for my finances which helps. As in it helps a lot.

Better late than never.

4jbfd6.jpg

On 21/10/2020 at 10:38, Funky Nosejob said:

Got smart meters installed recently so that we could take advantage of cheap overnight charging of our electric car. 
Monitor (chameleon tech IDH3) shows electricity usage ok, but doesn’t seem to link to the smart gas meter. Any ideas?

Did it work when the guy who installed the meters set it up, or did he not show you the IHD working? How far away is your gas meter from the electric meter (its the electric meter that's smart, sometimes if the gas meter isn't close enough its signal doesn't reach the electric meter). Can you check your online account, are gas readings showing up in it?

My gas and electric meters are installed in the most inaccesible areas of my house. Since installing a smart meter I (and the poor meter reader) can read the figures without dislocating my shoulder and it continue to work despite three supplier changes (albeit the costs dont align). For this reason alone I would heartily recommend.

On 29/09/2019 at 21:11, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Slightly annoyed that I can't find a 'High Rise' GIF of Tom Hiddleston making a bonfire in his living room.

fire panic GIF

You're welcome.

On 24/10/2020 at 13:47, s_dog said:

Did it work when the guy who installed the meters set it up, or did he not show you the IHD working? How far away is your gas meter from the electric meter (its the electric meter that's smart, sometimes if the gas meter isn't close enough its signal doesn't reach the electric meter). Can you check your online account, are gas readings showing up in it?

1. Installation guy said Gas meter would sync when it did its first ½ hourly report - it didn’t. 
2. Gas & Elec meters are both within 2m of monitor, albeit the gas one is on the other side of an outside wall. The distance between the electric and gas is about 3.5m. 
3. Online account doesn’t seem to have Gas readings either, which I suppose suggests that it’s the Gas meter not transmitting or the Elec meter not receiving, rather than the monitor not receiving. 

I’ll give it another couple of weeks and, if there’s no change, phone up my supplier.

Getting pestered to install one of these again, still shite aye?

Our supplier, Octopus, have admitted that the smart Gas meter wasn’t linked up properly when installed, but cannot do a call out to remedy this until Covid restrictions are lifted. 
The smart Electricity meter has, however, allowed us to switch to an Economy7 type tariff, saving us about £40 a month by charging our electric car overnight. 

On 11/04/2021 at 09:18, Pato said:

I've started getting emails on this again from EDF. They came out about 5 years ago to fit smart meters but the boy wouldn't do it as the electric and gas meters were too close to each other. Since then the noises I've heard are to avoid them. So I too would like to know if they're still shite.

1 minute ago, HTG said:

the boy wouldn't do it as the electric and gas meters were too close to each other.

The guy must have been Nostradamus, imagine predicting that you had to have 2 meters apart in this day and age?

On 11/04/2021 at 09:18, Pato said:

I basically railroaded myself into getting them installed because my old lecky meter just stopped giving a reading and I wanted it fixed - SSE said the only solution was installing a new one, which means smart meter.  

I did have a few teething problems but now I've got all the readings on my online account I quite like it.  I am a bit obsessive about seeing and minimising my energy usage though (my team - Aberdeen).  

The next step for me is to switch to a cheaper supplier because the standing charges are too high with SSE but supposedly the new style smart meters are able to cope with this (we'll see......).  

Edited by resk

41 minutes ago, resk said:

The next step for me is to switch to a cheaper supplier because the standing charges are too high with SSE but supposedly the new style smart meters are able to cope with this (we'll see......).  

I've switched twice since I had smart meters put in a couple of years back. They are they new style ones and have switched over fine both times, so you should be alright.