TAFKAM

Smart Meters

6 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

They will replace any equipment that is goosed (cut out fuse, enclosure etc) on the meter side of an installation at no cost.

Most common problem was a cut-out use being welded in by pitch inside the fuse enclosure if there was one. I never ever worked live if the fuse couldn't be removed (honest)

The guy did mention that he couldn't do it given that fuse situation. 

So you really think there's no advantage in getting an electrical upgrade and proceeding to get a smart meter installed?  Both our meters are easily accessible and easily read. It takes about 1 minute to submit readings online.

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The guy did mention that he couldn't do it given that fuse situation. 

So you really think there's no advantage in getting an electrical upgrade and proceeding to get a smart meter installed?  Both our meters are easily accessible and easily read. It takes about 1 minute to submit readings online.

It will reach a point where when you need a new meter fitted, they'll probably force a smart meter on people and give some shite spiel about being unable to guarantee the accuracy of your meter after 10 years.

Meter readings on line work fine for us and we keep telling SSE to gtf, because we are looking to change supplier and most of the best deals are unavailable if you already have a smart meter installed.

You mad bro?

42 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
47 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:
I agreed to let British Gas install one a few weeks ago after various assurances from them that there wouldn't be any problems regards switching suppliers in the future.
They called out yesterday to do the job, but couldn't because the electric mains panel (fuse boxes, mains switch, etc), is too old and would have to be upgraded before a smart meter could be installed. I said, oh well, I'll just forget about this for the time being thinking this would mean some extra expense. They phoned back 1 hour later and said they would arrange for Northern Power to upgrade the electrics and there would be no cost for this. I said ok to this, but reading what's been said on here, I will now cancel.

Free electric upgrades to current regs sounds like a win to me.

10 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Not that I'm aware of.

Why do you ask?

Sounds like a couple of hundred pounds of work done for free when you're going to have to upgrade it and get a smart meter eventually anyway.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds like a couple of hundred pounds of work done for free when you're going to have to upgrade it and get a smart meter eventually anyway.

Hmmm.... Possibly, although I'll hang fire for now. See below :

Is it compulsory to have a smart meter installed?

New government requirements have commissioned energy companies to install smart meters in business premises and domestic homes by 2019 – but this is only if a smart meter is wanted by the household or business. The government requires that smart meters are offered by energy suppliers to all small businesses and homes, but smart meters are not a legal requirement, therefore it’s not compulsory to have a smart meter installed.

Using this basic non-smart meter set-up  as a brief guide...

Anything to and from the cut-out and the tails into and out of the meter are works that are non-chargeable to a customer. An electrician, indeed any electrician is technically breaking the law if they break the seals on the cut-out/meter and/or carry out any work in those areas. As 'meter engineers', we were not permitted to go inside a consumer unit. If we had to replace or upgrade the tails on the outgoing side of the meter, we would have to install an isolator (if there wasn't one present) like on the right side of the meter here.

If anyone spouts any pish about the age of your meter, you can tell the age of it by checking the serial number under that barcode. Should be two letters followed by two numbers which will indicate the year i.e AB06 will tell you it is a 2006 job. Think that meter in the picture has a wee certification (age) sticker in the top left corner as well.meter.thumb.jpg.596d8c12b46ebb39be429501b3f5cd7d.jpg

I think smart meters are a good idea badly executed. 

The issues with the smart meters not being transferable between suppliers is something I just have to roll my eyes about. It’s typical of the shitty policy making and project management you experience on a daily basis in the UK.

Anyway, I’ve got the SSE smart meters fitted and they seem to work pretty well. I haven’t had to give a reading for a couple of years now. Before smart meters I had a spreadsheet, took monthly meter readings and cared about energy use. Since the smart meters were fitted I have a display in the kitchen that I never look at anymore, so if anything it’s killed any enthusiasm I had for energy reduction.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I think smart meters are a good idea badly executed. 

The issues with the smart meters not being transferable between suppliers is something I just have to roll my eyes about. It’s typical of the shitty policy making and project management you experience on a daily basis in the UK.

Anyway, I’ve got the SSE smart meters fitted and they seem to work pretty well. I haven’t had to give a reading for a couple of years now. Before smart meters I had a spreadsheet, took monthly meter readings and cared about energy use. Since the smart meters were fitted I have a display in the kitchen that I never look at anymore, so if anything it’s killed any enthusiasm I had for energy reduction.

Best way to save on the leccy is get a house as close as possible to a street lamp. 

On 27/09/2019 at 11:07, ICTJohnboy said:

Best way to save on the leccy is get a house as close as possible to a street lamp. 

Slightly annoyed that I can't find a 'High Rise' GIF of Tom Hiddleston making a bonfire in his living room.

Thanks lads, confirmed what I thought, will tell them to git tae.
This eon by any chance?

My Mrs has been getting pestered the last few days, she's wanting to change but I have told her to tell them to bolt.

This eon by any chance?

My Mrs has been getting pestered the last few days, she's wanting to change but I have told her to tell them to bolt.

No, but I think they're all at it. I read they have targets set by the government to install X million of these things before some rapidly nearing date but they're running into the problem of people who have had them installed posting about how shit they are on the internet so there's no way they'll hit the target. I think that's why they've gone from just offering the meters to actively offering discounted leccy if you do it now.

The second gen ones are supposed to allow you to retain the smart functionality and switch suppliers but I don't think they are readily available as yet. For that reason for the moment I am out as it defeats the purpose getting it if you still end up having to send readings in. 

We had Morrison Data in a few weeks ago to take a leccy reading and we got chatting re. smart meters as we are being bombarded with texts from both SP and SG offering to instal these. Guy basically confirmed the above, he said that 1st gen meters won’t allow you to change suppliers and if we really wanted them to wait.......asked him if he has them in his gaff.....”Do ah fück” he smiled......

So these are a bad idea looking at the thread?

We've had the 'pay as you go' chip since we moved in here years ago. I meant to get a pay monthly box but they'd obviously rather keep you on the pay as you go deal so you'd end up on hold for 45 mins then get cut off. Had enough now.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

So these are a bad idea looking at the thread?

Hadn't seen this thread previously but I've had one of these installed for about a year now and I think it's great. Didn't charge me for the install and I've had no problems with it reading things. It helped me cut down on usage of certain things too once I saw how much money I was wasting. Been told there'll be no problems with it if I want to change supplier too but I haven't done so yet.

Does anyone on here use that Look After My Bills mob for changing supplier? I'm intrigued by it but just wondering how much hassle it is to sign up/keep details updated with them or whatever.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Hadn't seen this thread previously but I've had one of these installed for about a year now and I think it's great. Didn't charge me for the install and I've had no problems with it reading things. It helped me cut down on usage of certain things too once I saw how much money I was wasting. Been told there'll be no problems with it if I want to change supplier too but I haven't done so yet.

Does anyone on here use that Look After My Bills mob for changing supplier? I'm intrigued by it but just wondering how much hassle it is to sign up/keep details updated with them or whatever.

Cheers mate.

I've seen it advertised but not looked in to it. I have a spreadsheet I use for my finances which helps. As in it helps a lot.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Cheers mate.

I've seen it advertised but not looked in to it. I have a spreadsheet I use for my finances which helps. As in it helps a lot.

I've looked at their spiel and it sounds ideal in that I wouldn't need to faff about with spreadsheets in my own time (hats off to you for that!) but I don't really know if they would have preferences based on the commission they receive from certain energy suppliers. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I've looked at their spiel and it sounds ideal in that I wouldn't need to faff about with spreadsheets in my own time (hats off to you for that!) but I don't really know if they would have preferences based on the commission they receive from certain energy suppliers. 

They do. Or rather they dont but they only work with a certain number of suppliers.

Theres some sites, like Mint, that you can use to track bills, credit cards etc. I used one specifically for house bills, car insurance etc but Im pretty sure the site shut down

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

looked amazing but asked me to set up a direct debit before showing me deals so that was the end of that.

Moneysupermarket are actually pretty good at linking up all your various bills and showing you when you can renew etc.

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

looked amazing but asked me to set up a direct debit before showing me deals so that was the end of that.

Fucking what? Won't bother then. Cheers.