MixuFixit

Smart Meters

My power supplier has been bugging me recently to get a smart meter. I've held off because of previous experience of meters stopping working if you swap supplier. Having done a bit of reading it looks like this isn't an issue anymore, but I'm also reading a lot about the things just not working properly. So tell me your experiences of getting a smart meter installed, is it worth the £5 a month discount I'm being offered or is it still not worth the potential bother?

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

My power supplier has been bugging me recently to get a smart meter. I've held off because of previous experience of meters stopping working if you swap supplier. Having done a bit of reading it looks like this isn't an issue anymore, but I'm also reading a lot about the things just not working properly. So tell me your experiences of getting a smart meter installed, is it worth the £5 a month discount I'm being offered or is it still not worth the potential bother?

Complete waste of time.  My one reads the electric fine but only seems to work intermittently for the gas. EDF have been out a few times but its still shite.

If anything it actually annoys me seeing how much you spend daily on what is a necessity.   Its never made me think about using a light or putting the heating on when its needed though.  Life is too short for saving a few quid a month IMO.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Absolutely pointless, mine stopped working for 6 months, still able to read old meters which were accurate.

They had to refit whole panel and system, a pile of poo.

Don't know anyone that thinks they're good.  Avoid.

Got a smart meter when I was with Scottish gas, moved to EDF and it stopped being smart. Once EDF hear I've had one fitted by Scottish gas they say that they wont fit another one so am assuming they're getting some kind of subsidy from the government. It's a minor pain when the request for readings comes in cos mrs Hi Hat keeps storing crap in the meter cupboard.

We just got one a couple of months ago. The wean seems to love the wee display, and I've heard him muttering to himself about how expensive the electricity is.

The "old man trapped in a young man's body" thing must be genetic.

I can't speak for the electrical regs. (18th edition?) but there is f**k all in the gas regs. to say that you have one fitted, that said, I believe the normal meter has to be replaced after a certain time to ensure reliability so they could con you at that time.

The second gen ones are supposed to allow you to retain the smart functionality and switch suppliers but I don't think they are readily available as yet. For that reason for the moment I am out as it defeats the purpose getting it if you still end up having to send readings in. 

Despite having a smart meter, I'm being nagged by a gang of jokers aka "Morrison Data Services" for my gas and lecky readings. Do I get this off the old fashioned rotary dials, or do I actually have to hunt out the stupid SMART meter thing I turned on for all of one day to tell them the readings? Either way it's not particularly smart. 

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I'd hold fire Mixu.

Used to be in electric metering and started fitting some of the first smart meters around 2008/9 time.

Instead of installing meters, most of my working days were spent investigating why they weren't communicating properly (to both supplier and customer) which kind of defeated the whole object of the exercise. 

They have improved, but are still beset with problems. They basically just contain a mobile sim-card, so any reception problems in areas with a certain network can be a pain in the arse.

I used to carry 4 payg mobiles (vodafone, orange, t-mobile and virgin) to assess the best sim-card to use. Quite hard to explain to the police that I wasn't a drug dealer when I got stopped in my unsigned van though.

12 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I can't speak for the electrical regs. (18th edition?) but there is f**k all in the gas regs. to say that you have one fitted, that said, I believe the normal meter has to be replaced after a certain time to ensure reliability so they could con you at that time.

Normal certification period for an electric meter is 10 years, but no idea on the gas ones

I agreed to let British Gas install one a few weeks ago after various assurances from them that there wouldn't be any problems regards switching suppliers in the future.

They called out yesterday to do the job, but couldn't because the electric mains panel (fuse boxes, mains switch, etc), is too old and would have to be upgraded before a smart meter could be installed. I said, oh well, I'll just forget about this for the time being thinking this would mean some extra expense. They phoned back 1 hour later and said they would arrange for Northern Power to upgrade the electrics and there would be no cost for this. I said ok to this, but reading what's been said on here, I will now cancel.

I'd hold fire Mixu.

Used to be in electric metering and started fitting some of the first smart meters around 2008/9 time.

Instead of installing meters, most of my working days were spent investigating why they weren't communicating properly (to both supplier and customer) which kind of defeated the whole object of the exercise. 

They have improved, but are still beset with problems. They basically just contain a mobile sim-card, so any reception problems in areas with a certain network can be a pain in the arse.

I used to carry 4 payg mobiles (vodafone, orange, t-mobile and virgin) to assess the best sim-card to use. Quite hard to explain to the police that I wasn't a drug dealer when I got stopped in my unsigned van though.
I think my smart meters used my wifi and not a sim card to send the readings as I had some sort of receiver plugged into my router. Being able to see my usage was quite interesting and helped show where savings could be made. If they could agree some sort of standard then I can't really see a downside to having accurate Bill's and seeing how you use your gas and electric over the course of the day.

I agreed to let British Gas install one a few weeks ago after various assurances from them that there wouldn't be any problems regards switching suppliers in the future.
They called out yesterday to do the job, but couldn't because the electric mains panel (fuse boxes, mains switch, etc), is too old and would have to be upgraded before a smart meter could be installed. I said, oh well, I'll just forget about this for the time being thinking this would mean some extra expense. They phoned back 1 hour later and said they would arrange for Northern Power to upgrade the electrics and there would be no cost for this. I said ok to this, but reading what's been said on here, I will now cancel.
Free electric upgrades to current regs sounds like a win to me.

1 minute ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
9 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:
I'd hold fire Mixu.

I think my smart meters used my wifi and not a sim card to send the readings as I had some sort of receiver plugged into my router. Being able to see my usage was quite interesting and helped show where savings could be made. If they could agree some sort of standard then I can't really see a downside to having accurate Bill's and seeing how you use your gas and electric over the course of the day.

It's a good point, but my own personal gripe with them is that it's almost a green light for price hikes.

Fantastic......you've cut your energy use by 20% this year, so here's a 15% price rise to say thanks.

17 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
22 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Free electric upgrades to current regs sounds like a win to me.

They will replace any equipment that is goosed (cut out fuse, enclosure etc) on the meter side of an installation at no cost.

Most common problem was a cut-out fuse being welded in by pitch inside the fuse enclosure if there was one. I never ever worked live if the fuse couldn't be removed (honest)

Edited by LincolnHearts