St Mirren v Hearts

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Pish - Ryan Flynn is better than McGinn. Magennis wasn’t poor & I’m sure is more than capable of barking at other players. Durmus has shown he can compete at this level. Today wasn’t a bad result - it highlighted what we lack upfront not what we lack in midfield.

Indeed.

Knickerwetting has begun early.

This time last season we were a basket case of a club.

Kearney acted as sticking plaster and I'm extremely grateful to him for keeping us up.

Goodwin will take time to get there, but IMO he's got us going in the right direction.

If we can get a bit of luck in front of goal, then that might be the catalyst for more to come.

P.S. A huge thanks to Killie for releasing Broadfoot.👍

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Pish - Ryan Flynn is better than McGinn. Magennis wasn’t poor & I’m sure is more than capable of barking at other players. Durmus has shown he can compete at this level. Today wasn’t a bad result - it highlighted what we lack upfront not what we lack in midfield.

Well we see the game differently . Flynn poor. McGuinness poor, both very good players just not today. McGinn was carrying an injury in his latter games . That is now over give him the chance he can make brilliant  passes into spaces going forward.  Like it or not a draw against Hearts can be seen as good. Take away the Hearts goalkeeper out the equation we still would not have scored  in my humble opinion.  

Edited by Demented Zebra

7 hours ago, The Tackle said:

How many injuries are we going to suffer this season? It's getting ridiculous now.

Halkett   Souttar  Garuccio     Walker  Haring  Damour      Naismith  Washington Wighton   

That's arguably seven first choice players injured.

Well we see the game differently . Flynn poor. McGuinness poor, both very good players just not today. McGinn was carrying an injury in his latter games . That is now over give him the chance he can make brilliant  passes into spaces going forward.  Like it or not a draw against Hearts can be seen as good. Take away the Hearts goalkeeper out the equation we still would not have scored  in my humble opinion.  

Too much McGuinness?

For St. Mirren, I’d rather have Duckens Nazon and Simeon Jackson than Obika and Morais. 

Based on what we've seen so far I'd go for that. It's still relatively early to make a real judgement. Neither have been a total disaster, both like to put it about a bit and are giving plenty effort. I still have hope that they can come good.

At the moment I think Mullen has to start though. There's been a difference when he comes on. Where Morais has been giving away cheap fouls Mullen is able to draw fouls. I suppose that just comes from having played more games at this level. I also feel that Mullen has the ability to hit a shot from outside the box and score. Not seen anything from the other two yet to suggest they have that.

Durmus is a good winger but has lacked service. He gave Waters a bollocking in the first half as when Durmus started a run Waters kept passing inside or back. Forward passing to Durmus improved in the second half but a lot was overhit. Hopefully the link between them will improve through time.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Based on what we've seen so far I'd go for that. It's still relatively early to make a real judgement. Neither have been a total disaster, both like to put it about a bit and are giving plenty effort. I still have hope that they can come good.

At the moment I think Mullen has to start though. There's been a difference when he comes on. Where Morais has been giving away cheap fouls Mullen is able to draw fouls. I suppose that just comes from having played more games at this level. I also feel that Mullen has the ability to hit a shot from outside the box and score. Not seen anything from the other two yet to suggest they have that.

Would agree with your comment on Mullen. We are going to have another very difficult season scoring goals is a real problem if it does not get fixed we will be relegated.  

7 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Durmus is a good winger but has lacked service. He gave Waters a bollocking in the first half as when Durmus started a run Waters kept passing inside or back. Forward passing to Durmus improved in the second half but a lot was overhit. Hopefully the link between them will improve through time.

Waters is a dependable left back but doesn’t offer enough going forward. Both he and McGinn have to better offensively if we are to create more chances in forward areas. The last two home games demonstrate the point as both have failed to deliver any decent ball into the box.

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

P.S. A huge thanks to Killie for releasing Broadfoot.👍

I know that you guys already knew how good he was from his earlier spell but at his age the level of performance he puts in most weeks is pretty incredible. He also brings other players on too simply due to the volume of guidance (abuse) he gives them if they do something wrong.

45 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Another weak link in the team surprised more dont see it. Was over the moon when we signed a winger that feeling has gone. I would drop Durmus and Junior.  

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Waters is a dependable left back but doesn’t offer enough going forward. Both he and McGinn have to better offensively if we are to create more chances in forward areas. The last two home games demonstrate the point as both have failed to deliver any decent ball into the box.

I'm wondering if they have been told to hold back. When balls were being put into the box there was not one midfield player hanging around just outside the penalty box. Quite a few times there was lose balls in the box but no one there to capitalise.  

I’d agree that Mullen should be starting. We improved with him on as he was the only one savvy enough to take advantage of the shit ref and win plenty of cheap fouls. Morias looks absolutely rotten. Obika at least has a first touch and can hold the ball on occasion. Christ knows why anyone would want Nazon back.

Both full backs were solid in defence but need to do more going forward. Waters gave Durmus zero support. McGinn’s always keen to go forward and gets into good positions but only manages about one good cross in fifty.

I like Flynn and Foley in the middle, there’s no way Stephen McGinn should start at the moment. I would like Flynn to get further forward though and Foley needs to stop passing up good opportunities to shoot.

14 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Halkett   Souttar  Garuccio     Walker  Haring  Damour      Naismith  Washington Wighton   

That's arguably seven first choice players injured.

Good to see the "Aye, but injuries.." excuse getting an airing.

It's just unlucky that Hearts are the only team to get players injured.

Folk giving Durmus abuse for not being any good. :lol:

I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on that particular performance but I've seen plenty of him so far this season to make a reasoned comment. f**k me, you actually wonder what goes through some folks heads or what they expect of a player. 

Also, McGinn is an inferior player to both Foley and Flynn for me. Some folk seem to be getting rose tinted specs regarding McGinn... I remember a player who last season, slowed a lot of play up to our detriment, struggled to connect the defense to more attacking players and generally struggled with the demands of the league. 

Our sole problem at the moment is the centre forward void. We are not perfect by any means in all other areas but we are very solid in most positions  and have looked as strong as we have done in several years until you look at the final third. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Don’t think any of our players were worthy of even mild abuse yesterday. They all tried hard enough and it was a better game, and a better point, than against the time-wasting shitfesters from Hamilton. As others have said, we look decent throughout the team, until you get to the strikers. Even then, Obika and Morais are trying, but they simply don’t seem to have top flight league quality. Morais was clean through on a rapidly retreating Hearts defender. Any striker worth their salt would have at least created a shot on goal. Similarly, Obika was through later on, and made a complete arse of it by opening his foot and sclaffing a weak shot wide. I hope Obika and Morais start delivering soon, I wish them no ill. I know the strikers need the rest of the team to create chances, but Morais has had decent ones against Sevco and Accies, and fcuked them up too.

If Mullen doesn’t start ahead of Morais next time out though, then one must assume that Jim is watching a completely different game from everyone else in the stadium.

Edit: our bench is decent too, certainly better than many recent St Mirren squads.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Good to see the "Aye, but injuries.." excuse getting an airing.

It's just unlucky that Hearts are the only team to get players injured.

Do the other teams who get injuries continue to perform well?  Usually the answer is no.  Aberdeen have loads just now and they are toiling as well.  Not one team in the league could lose 7 first choice players and not suffer. 

We should still be performing better, absolutely but saying injuries don't matter is stupid.