Jump to content
AyrTroopMajor

House advice

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I've heard this from a few folk and not just Edinburgh. Why though? I have one couple of English pals who have sold up and moved to Scotland in anticipation of independence but I find it hard to believe more than a handful of people relatively speaking are doing it for that reason.

The rural properties & home working thing sounds very much more believable but it doesn't explain why city properties are selling so quickly just now. There's a glut of ex airbnbs trying to get near enough £1000 a month rent for a 2 bed flat as long term lets, and fewer and fewer people will be able to afford to pay this, so where is the demand coming from?

I think it's a combination of factors.  The tax break for the next year will drive a lot of people who have been mulling over moving in the next few years to do it now.  Also, the market was basically stopped for a few months so anyone who has been planning to move during that period has had to delay their move.  People stuck in their houses for all this time may have got sick of them and decided they want to move.  People whose work situations have changed (lost jobs, working from home full time etc) may have to sell their houses.  There's also a feeling that there's a huge economic downturn coming and people want to sell their houses before the values fall.  We made a profit on our house and we did think about holdin goff buying somewhere to see if the market falls but we aren't property speculators and need somewhere to live so didn't bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for a bit of advice, trying to buy my first house everything my end has gone well and I'm ready to go, however, the people selling their house are pretty much uncontactable my lawyer has been chasing them up for well over a month with complete silence. Their solicitor won't even say if they have signed any paperwork, I suspect they are trying to delay things so they can buy, but I've given them a fair wack over the valuation, more than enough for a month or 2 in rent and even if they asked to delay the process allowing them to buy I would have probably agreed but now they are just taking the piss. Has anyone had a similar experience and did you get it sorted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I reserved a new buld Cala house back in March and are part exchanging our current property with them. The move in date was moved from August to end of Nov due to the coronavirus.

We appointed our solicitors back in March and they have been utter shite providing no updates, not replying to phone calls or emails. This resulted in me emailing the partner of the firm with a complaint in July, I received a phone call from him within 30 mins apologising, blaming it on staff shortages due to the corona. He informed me the case would be passed to another of the solicitors to be progressed.
There was slight progress after this with the missives being completed at the start of August.
We heard nothing from them since the start of August and assumed everything was getting worked on in the background without issue.

At the start of last week we were contacted by Cala to make us aware of an issue with the title deeds for our current house (relating to the purchase back in 2013), our solicitors were apparently aware but didn't contact us. My wife was able to source paperwork from her old solicitor in 2013 and this was passed onto our current solicitors who had still not contacted us.
I then emailed them to ensure they had received this paperwork and for an update on the rest of the conveyancing work. I received a legal jargon filled reply explaining the current problem, but no information on how they planned to resolve this.
I replied asking how this would be resolved and for an update on the rest of the conveyancing work. I didn't receive any reply.
Three days later I emailed the partner again complaining, he provided a comprehensive reply explaining the problem with the deeds and the possible resolutions (which I was happy to receive) however he stated that the paralegal had discussed all this with me the day before and I had been sent several emails in the previous weeks (both of which were entirely untrue).
I replied (firmly but politely) challenging this and asking for proof of the emails I had been sent.
About 10 minutes later the partner emailed me stating that he was withdrawing their services as we 'appeared to be going down different paths' and that we would need to find new solicitors to complete the sale and that he would pass on all documentation to our new solicitors upon full payment of their fees (still awaiting their invoice to find out if they're trying to charge me the full amount quoted at the start).

I'm at abit of a loss as to where this leaves us now, we have a little over 4 weeks to find a new solicitor and for them to complete the sale/purchase. This is not sufficient time for them to complete all the work from scratch so will require the paperwork completed so far by our current solicitors.
Should I just pay the amount they quote so that we can get the relevant paperwork so the sale can be completed by the new solicitor for the move in date and just take it on the chin as a life lesson never to use them again?

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation that a solicitor has withdrawn their services and left them in the lurch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...