Russia ban?

Bully Wee Villa

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Does this mean we can sneak qualification if we can shitfest our way to third in our group? 

Russia faces ban from all major sports events - Wada - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/49805296

This is potentially huge for us. Whenever a team has been unable to take up its place in a final tournament, it's been the next team in the group that got the place.

This is a very real threat to Russia, so we must make sure we finish no worse than third. Hey, maybe we can do a Denmark... 

While obviously getting to a tournament is getting to a tournament, I think it'd feel a little grubby doing it this way.  Can't see it happening to be honest.  You always get these sensational stories, but when it all comes down to it the punishment always falls well short of the ARMAGEDDON stories.  

We'll qualify through the playoffs anyway, nae bather.

4 hours ago, forameus said:

While obviously getting to a tournament is getting to a tournament, I think it'd feel a little grubby doing it this way.  Can't see it happening to be honest.  You always get these sensational stories, but when it all comes down to it the punishment always falls well short of the ARMAGEDDON stories.  

We'll qualify through the playoffs anyway, nae bather.

Generally you're right, but remember that in this case, Russia were banned from the last Olympics and from international athletics for a long time. That's why this one made me sit up and take notice, because they're not threatening anything they haven't done before.

If you've not seen it, Icarus, a documentary being made at the time the whole scandal emerged, is a great watch. It's on Netflix.

7 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Russia are due to host 3 group games and a quarter final at Euro 2020.  Can't see any ban affecting their football team.

To be fair, we're due to host games too, and we're effectively trying to ban ourselves.  I can easily see them being fine to host but not participating.  It is an interesting scenario though.