Traits That Make You Wary

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Folk who insist on signing themselves off as Col (ret). Usually after some bigoted tirade to a local paper.

I don't know WTF it is with ex-armed forces personnel that makes them think that their old job somehow carries on into their civilian life after they're done - yes I do; brainwashing - but I work with about 6 or 7 ex-squaddies who constantly reference their army days as if it reflects on them in the present day and makes them better people than folk who haven't served. 

I've said it on here on numerous occasions and I'll say it again - within minutes of meeting an ex-soldier, you will find out that they are indeed an ex-soldier as they will have told you. The c***s are worse than vegans. 

Edited by Dee Man

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I've said it on here on numerous occasions and I'll say it again - within minutes of meeting an ex-soldier, you will find out that they are indeed an ex-soldier as they will have told you. The c***s are worse than vegans. 

Possibly the only ex-soldier I knew who didn't do this was a good c**t. After about six months, it came up in a conversation at a work outing that he'd been in the army, to everyone's surprise. Spent the rest of the trip regaling us with stories about all of the closeted homosexual shit that squaddies get up to during training, but never seem to mention when discussing their service.

15 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Possibly the only ex-soldier I knew who didn't do this was a good c**t. After about six months, it came up in a conversation at a work outing that he'd been in the army, to everyone's surprise. Spent the rest of the trip regaling us with stories about all of the closeted homosexual shit that squaddies get up to during training, but never seem to mention when discussing their service.

To be fair my uncle is ex-RAF who never mentions it unless asked and I've got another mate who got hit in the helmet with a bullet in Iraq [insert Kenneth Williams gif here] and you wouldn't know that unless someone else told you. 

Maybe I've met hundreds of ex-squaddies over the years and they've never told me and my theory is fucked!

It isn't - they can't help themselves. 

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Some football fans become club owners, board members or work for their club in some capacity and do a lot of good because their heart is totally in it.

I would think football players see fans on the level of acquaintances and there the line is drawn. One would assume the majority of people are grounded enough to know the difference and being fan of or having fan attention is left at that. Not so certain rock or pop stars of a previous era though.

Their hearts might be in it, but a desire to get really involved makes me wary of them.  

We do have some fans who seem to stalk the players though.  A few years back, one had to be sent a letter from Caley Thistle telling them to back off.