Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Dundee to Ayr in 2 hours?! Aye right, with a quiet road that's unrealistic never mind commuter traffic at somewhere along the journey. 

Easily at normal times of day.

Dundee to Ayr in 2 hours?! Aye right, with a quiet road that's unrealistic never mind commuter traffic at somewhere along the journey. 
It's comfortably under two hours at a reasonable time but Friday tea time there no chance. 2 1/2 would be the absolute minimum and I think even then you're being optimistic.

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but all this data analysis stuff leaves me a bit cold.  Who is going to shout at the players at half time when it’s not working?  Feels like over-complicating football and turning it into a management trainee scheme.  The worry for me is that if the players don’t buy into it (as happened to Cathro at a Hearts) then it all unravels pretty quick.

It’s certainly clear that the whole style  is going to be very different from the keep it simple McCall approach.  Hopefully we still intend to bring in an experienced old hand to support Kerr as, for all his paper qualifications, McCardle seems as inexperienced as Kerr.

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but all this data analysis stuff leaves me a bit cold.  Who is going to shout at the players at half time when it’s not working?  Feels like over-complicating football and turning it into a management trainee scheme.  The worry for me is that if the players don’t buy into it (as happened to Cathro at a Hearts) then it all unravels pretty quick.

It’s certainly clear that the whole style  is going to be very different from the keep it simple McCall approach.  Hopefully we still intend to bring in an experienced old hand to support Kerr as, for all his paper qualifications, McCardle seems as inexperienced as Kerr.

#metoo

Just now, WATTOO said:

#metoo

Maybe I’m missing something, but the new guy doesn’t appear to have played professional football or held any real management positions involving first team professionals.  On the other hand, he is learning Spanish.

As I say, maybe I’m old fashioned,  but this management is management approach irrespective of whether it’s football or widget production worries the hell out of me.  

Just now, Trogdor said:

Wow, the yer da types are out in force tonight! #Luddites

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when this guy sits Andy Geggan down and explains to him the most statistically effective way of kicking someone up in the air.  “So that’s what I’ve been doing wrong all these years,” responds Geggan.

The guy was MANAGER of a premiership academy , managerial skills are transferable , being a manager is all about how you treat , support and develop people , something he has vast experience of in a football environment, as for not playing the game  the superb Jose  Mourhino played football at a very low level , so not so sure what playing has to do with management 

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when this guy sits Andy Geggan down and explains to him the most statistically effective way of kicking someone up in the air.  “So that’s what I’ve been doing wrong all these years,” responds Geggan.

Lets be serious now. Statistically speaking I dont think there is anyone more effective at kicking people up in the air than Sir Andy Geggan.

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

I think people are over complicating what the guy is saying , he says  through analysis of previous game it will help prepare for future games , it’s the same with the players he will look at ways for them to improve and adapt to the opposition something we are not good at currently , we tend to play the same way against everyone 

We need to move with the times personally I think it's great nobody bis going to be moaning if he can help develop the likes of Finn, McCowan, McKenzie etc into top class players using more modern methods and they bring in a lot of money, I think both have came across really well and I'm really excited to see what comes.

4 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

The guy was MANAGER of a premiership academy , managerial skills are transferable , being a manager is all about how you treat , support and develop people , something he has vast experience of in a football environment, as for not playing the game  the superb Jose  Mourhino played football at a very low level , so not so sure what playing has to do with management 

Sure, but that strikes me as a technical/bureaucratic/bean counter type role rather than one that involves first team professionals.  We tried this with our academy manager a few years back and it was a disaster.

I accept that management involves some common skill sets, but a knowledge of the industry you work in is also essential.  I was happy to take a punt on a rookie manager (even though it has rarely worked out for us in recent memory), but it wad kind of on the understanding he’d have an experienced figure with him such as Houston or Stewart.  I can only hope that there is another appointment to come, because if Kerr gets into trouble, he’ll turn to his assistant and find someone that knows even less than he does.