Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

This is an almost identical situation to when McNamara left us to go to the Arabs in January 2013 when we were 2nd / 3rd in the league. We were all hoping for a “big” name and ended up with Archibald being promoted from playing squad.

Most fans, me included, were completely underwhelmed at the time but Archie took us all the way to the league title, therefore give Kerr a chance it could work out well.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aitken was interviewed for the Raith job and was pipped by Gary Locke

Imagine how much self doubt you must have after being beaten out for a managerial job by Gary Locke. 

The equivalent of being knock backed for a hairdressing job to find out Stevie Wonder got it instead 

Does anyone actually know if Sandy or Kenny actually applied? Could be a case that not having the hot seat suits both parties. 
As someone mentioned on this thread earlier that Peter Houston was quite happy being an assistant at Morton. 

2 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Imagine how much self doubt you must have after being beaten out for a managerial job by Gary Locke. 

The equivalent of being knock backed for a hairdressing job to find out Stevie Wonder got it instead 

Probably reflects worse on the Raith board at the time tbh.

16 minutes ago, mccurdieboy said:
34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:
Jack Ross and Ian Murray both worked together at Dumbarton despite both applying for the managers job. If they both get on well and there's no hard feelings it would be daft of Stewart to put himself out of work.

I would think if Stewart doesn't wanna stay I reckon he will probably go to thistle with jobby

Unlikely. McCall has two assistants in Scally and Archibald, I don't see him adding Stewart to the coaching mix anytime soon.

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Don't understand why Cameron gave it all the big talk about jetting in from LA to interview these guys and then saying on Saturday about having to fly home but new manager will be announced on Tuesday. Made it sound as if it was going to be some glamour appointment.

Hope Peter Houston comes in as assistant, with Stewart apparently gone the backroom staff are going to be even more important now.

Probably Cameron trying to look like a big shot whilst playing us all like a fiddle. I’m perplexed in what he saw in Kerr that made him chose him over the other names interviewed 

Probably Cameron trying to look like a big shot whilst playing us all like a fiddle. I’m perplexed in what he saw in Kerr that made him chose him over the other names interviewed 

Did you see the other names?

Darren Young is the only other one I’d have been content with and even then he has as much experience of Championship management as Kerr.

What I don’t understand is that if Stewart and Kerr both applied what credentials did Kerr have over Stewart to make him Cameron’s choice as main man? I was against Stewart being giving the managers job because he’d not been a manager for about 5 years, but jeezo giving it to a guy that’s never had any coaching role apart from the last few weeks? Absolute joke

What I don’t understand is that if Stewart and Kerr both applied what credentials did Kerr have over Stewart to make him Cameron’s choice as main man? I was against Stewart being giving the managers job because he’d not been a manager for about 5 years, but jeezo giving it to a guy that’s never had any coaching role apart from the last few weeks? Absolute joke

You don’t know what kind of interview he had. A lot more goes into that decision than just looking at a CV and picking the one that has worked with the bigger clubs. McIntyre has had success but you can guarantee he would’ve changed everything as soon as he was in the door to put his own stamp on things. Canning is just an absolute disaster and even giving him an interview was a mistake imo. Young was the only other one I liked but it’s still a huge gamble.

Saying it’s a joke before the guy has had a chance is a huge overreaction and entirely unfair on Kerr.

34 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The only thing I can think of is that Kerr has assembled an impressive backroom team from his previous clubs which includes an ex manager who can run the show. Maybe more hope than reality but to be honest the whole thing just doesn’t make sense. I’m wondering if there is more going on behind the scenes than we know about at the minute. A bit like the recent cost cutting after a very successful season. Perhaps a new owner is coming and costs are being kept to a minimum 

An interview process is much more than just CV talk. Kerr has obviously impressed (although in that media interview he comes across like he has no personality - that can often be very deceiving).

I like that he's been planning for the top job for a few years, and he sounded quite confident when it comes to contacts.

I'm much, much happier with this appointment than what was discussed on here and in the press. Yes he might prove to be a failure but he might also prove to be a brilliant manager. The other folk within our budget were always going to have failures on their CV already so it's not like there was a standout candidate.

Good luck Mark!