Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I believe Ian Murray has just signed a new deal and whilst I’d welcome Peter Murphy, I’d be devastated if it didn’t work out.

I think if Archibald doesn’t follow McCall to Thistle he’ll be our next manager.

I’ve also got a feeling we could see the end of Cameron’s ownership sooner rather than later.

Jim Kirkwood owner / manager? 

We need to be realistic on managers past experience, when we signed McCall the majority of fans were up in arms going on about . Out the game for 5years , sacked in last 3 jobs,off field problems , too old school tactics and how he proved those thoughts wrong , let’s give who ever gets the job s chance and focus on their future and not the past , as someone said there is no one out there with a perfect CV

10 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I think McCall might recommend Archibald as his replacement.

Ive seen this mentioned a few times elsewhere, why would he recommend any replacements and why should we even consider taking his advice?

You've moved on Ian, thanks for the memories but you should no longer have an input into the running or future direction of "Plucky Wee Ayr".

I'd ideally be looking at someone who's currently in a job and is hungry to progress, would have loved to seen us move for Jim Goodwin had he still been at Alloa, is proven to work on a smaller budget or is willing to move to us with a CV of managing in higher profile leagues, in England or Scotland.

Any appointment's a gamble, who truly was overly excited when McCall got the job in the first place? Every manager will have an element of failure on their CV, its the nature of the game. For sure, the pressure must be on the club to get it right first time, or risk undoing years of progression and good work we've built up, that's the bit that worries me if Im being honest.

Get a well worded advert out in the public arena and see who applies for it, we might be pleasantly surprised at the results. Its not often a team joint top of their league are in a position to seek a new manager, lets get thinking out of the box a bit, be brave, show some ambition and continue kicking on.

A change doesnt always have to be a sideways or backwards step.

11 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Can't pretend I know much about Ian McCall's situation, but to me this is mental, going from an Ayr side that is playing (not meant to be insulting) way above expectations to a dismal Partick side. I personally don't get it.

Anyway, enough with that, better start the 'Jim McIntyre's available' patter...

That’s a great shout for McIntyre. He really did a job on your lot. Sorry meant to say for you.

Some of the free agents are fairly grim prospects for Ayr. I can see Neil McCann talking his way into contention...

Given Ayr's full time status now, that'll pretty much rule out the likes of Petrie and Campbell (not sure if that was a serious shout anyway).

Peter Murphy seems like a reasonable shout; has done well with Annan and obviously has links to the club from playing. Darren Young has been doing a fine job at East Fife and will likely become a front-runner for bigger jobs soon. Stevie Farrell has been great at Stranraer but this is probably a rung too high at this stage, could probably say the same for Murphy.

Some left field shouts might be Paul Sheerin or Maurice Ross. Sheerin, like Murphy, also has playing links and did a good job at Arbroath before falling away. Probably has a fairly secure gig at Aberdeen so not sure if he's looking to be a main man again. Ross definitely does harbour ambition of being a manager; seems to have done a good job with Motherwell's youth team since getting the role last year. Not sure if he fancies himself for the main gig at Motherwell, if there's any substance to Hearts interest in Robinson (which does just seem to be paper talk).

8 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd ideally be looking at someone who's currently in a job and is hungry to progress, would have loved to seen us move for Jim Goodwin had he still been at Alloa, is proven to work on a smaller budget or is willing to move to us with a CV of managing in higher profile leagues, in England or Scotland.

Fully agree with this. Last time we were looking for a manager we had a dismal squad and needed someone with McCall's experience to bail us out of a tough spot. This time we have a young, exciting squad that is very much on the up, and we should be looking for a manager who's on a similar trajectory - not one of the usual suspects making their way down the leagues.

I've already posted on the main Ayr thread that I think Stewart Petrie would be an excellent fit, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Darren Young (possibly recency bias admittedly with him looking good at the moment) or James McDonagh either. I don't think Peter Murphy has shown enough at Annan yet to justify being in contention for a job near the top of the Championship.

21 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If we let our manager and assistant manager go for as little as 10K to an utterly desperate Partick Thistle it’s an utter shambles tbh.

We may have had no say in the matter. Completely dependent on their contracts.

We may have had no say in the matter. Completely dependent on their contracts.

I get that but allowing them to be on poor contracts is part of the problem. As mentioned previously, if McCall is as thankful to us for giving him a chance as he has claimed then surely he would be perfectly happy on a contract that would allow us a decent compensation package.

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I get that but allowing them to be on poor contracts is part of the problem. As mentioned previously, if McCall is as thankful to us for giving him a chance as he has claimed then surely he would be perfectly happy on a contract that would allow us a decent compensation package.

The club may have been happy to employ him on a rolling contract on the off chance that he was sacked, in which case it would have been cheaper to pay him off than if he was on a long-term contract.

Edited by RedEd