Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

His record isnt good, which is my point. I'm sure he had two seasons where they avoided relegation with 9 wins all season, one on 33pts and one on 35pts.

That's awful. Being slightly better than fucking horrendous doesnt make you good.

Keeping a side the size of Hamilton in the top flight for a record breaking amount of seasons isn't awful. The style in which it was done can be questioned, but the achievement itself is a top notch one.

Never understood the fury Hamilton fans directed Canning's way - but then I never watched them week to week. His overall impact at the club (In terms of league positioning) over his tenure can't be described as anything other than positive.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Keeping a side the size of Hamilton in the top flight for a record breaking amount of seasons isn't awful. The style in which it was done can be questioned, but the achievement itself is a top notch one.

Never understood the fury Hamilton fans directed Canning's way - but then I never watched them week to week. His overall impact at the club (In terms of league positioning) over his tenure can't be described as anything other than positive.

It obviously wasn’t going to last even if Neil stayed as no manager could have kept them at that level forever, but when Canning took them over in January after 20 games they were third in the league, only four points off top, were 12 points clear of 7th and had only lost five games all season.

He immediately went on a run of 13 games without a win, took them into the bottom six and managed a grand total of three wins in 18 games having inherited a team with 12 wins in 20.

After inheriting a team with 39 points from 20 games, in his three full seasons in charge he managed to hit that points total from 38 games once.

I’m going to go ahead and say that could be described as something other than positive.

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wat?

His points total in full seasons in charge were...

15/16 - 43,16/17 - 35,17/18 - 33

If you put those final two into tables over the past decade, it would see him finishing 11th in...

09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13, 13/14, 14/15.

Are you genuinely going to claim that Canning having Hamilton consistently finishing 11th in the top flight is a "top notch achievement"?

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

:lol: Canning lost over 50% of his games as manager of Hamilton, including a fistful of cup games to teams in the bottom two divisions. He averaged around 1 goal a game scored, and over 2 goals a game conceded.

Hamilton twice avoided relegation despite getting under 35 points, and only won more than 10 games in a season in one of his 3 seasons in charge. In his final half season they won 4 games in 6 months.

Hes a fucking abysmal manager who, literally, only survived so long due to the absolute dross he shared the league with. Hire him and prepare to watch a shapeless side sitting with 10 men camped around your box until you concede, at which point your team will just explode all over the park leaving massive gaps all over the place. You might slog out a 1-0 win every month or so though.

When players struggle with performances or to even get a game it’s not uncommon for them to drop down a division and turn their career around. Does this not apply to managers? I’m guessing once you have ‘failed’ somewhere as a manager in the fans eyes  you are written off for life? 

8 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

When players struggle with performances or to even get a game it’s not uncommon for them to drop down a division and turn their career around. Does this not apply to managers? I’m guessing once you have ‘failed’ somewhere as a manager in the fans eyes  you are written off for life? 

Got any examples of managers doing that?

The difference with Canning is he didn't get the Hamilton job on the back of success at a lower level the way Goodwin has for example. He went straight into a top flight job and ultimately failed and there is no previous track record of success before that, if it had to be one of him and McIntyre I'd have to pick McIntyre as he has had success before but as previously stated I don't want either of them.

Based on the names mentioned i'd be happy enough with McIntyre.  He has been reasonably successful in the past and seems massively tainted by his most recent gig.   My pal at work is a Pars season ticket holder and says he would definitely have him back (although others certainly wouldn't) and says they were a good attacking side when he was in charge.   Not too dissimilar to McCall perhaps?

Folk need to realise we are going to get someone who has failed somewhere before, unless we appoint someone like Mark Kerr and hope for the best.

Saying that -Canning would concern me as he has done nothing other than scrape survival at Accies, although maybe he just needs the chance.  Who knows...

52 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The difference with Canning is he didn't get the Hamilton job on the back of success at a lower level the way Goodwin has for example. He went straight into a top flight job and ultimately failed and there is no previous track record of success before that, if it had to be one of him and McIntyre I'd have to pick McIntyre as he has had success before but as previously stated I don't want either of them.

Whilst he did ultimately fail keeping his job for four years starting as a rookie is worth slight credit. I get these two managers aren’t rated but they come with premiership cvs so I would be interest to see who else has applied. Reckon there might be some half decent candidates from the leagues below. Whilst I would prefer somebody cleaning up their record I wouldn’t be averse to someone earlier on in their career. Don’t need to have won leagues but maybe taken a small team to well above their level and brought through youth players 

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

What about a wee management team ala county?

Sandy Stewart and Mark Kerr seem to work well together and maybe hey someone else in to help with the load (as there's obviously a role needing filled still).

Could this be where the return of "Somerset boab" comes in ??

Stewart and Kerr run the team and the maestro conducts the media orchestra while performing his unforgettable hits............

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Could this be where the return of "Somerset boab" comes in ??

Stewart and Kerr run the team and the maestro conducts the media orchestra while performing his unforgettable hits............

I'm only liking the idea of a Stewart/Kerr partnership. The media can gettae.

11 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Anyone else surprised by the lack of names being touted as being on the interview shortlist?

Bar the Posts inside scoop from a few days ago, there's surely more than two being interviewed?

At the time it said applications were being taken until the 11th (or was it 12th), then interviews. Knowing us Canning and McIntyre are the “cream of the crop” out of those that’s applied 

Anyone else surprised by the lack of names being touted as being on the interview shortlist?
Bar the Posts inside scoop from a few days ago, there's surely more than two being interviewed?
Apparently we got about 40 applications, some of them will be space cadets who have played Football Manager and think they can apply but you would like to think out of the 40 there was more than 2 credible candidates, Canning by turning up at all our games and McIntyre by publicly stating he's interested have made themselves front runners in the eyes of the press hopefully that doesn't make them front runners in the eyes of the board.

34 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Jose Mourinho has turned down the Lyon job cause he's poised to join another club, so when has Lachlan called the big press conference for then?

Can you imagine 😂

Who knows, maybe Jose wants a life beside the sea and chippy and ice cream for dinner every night. Make it happen Cameron! 

19 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Can you imagine 😂

Who knows, maybe Jose wants a life beside the sea and chippy and ice cream for dinner every night. Make it happen Cameron! 

He'll look back fondly at his time at Largs when he did his coaching badges had a holiday romance with what's now big Senga from West Kilbride, and decide that McCall leaving is destiny calling.

This is obviously assuming McCall has mentioned him favourably to the board as a possible replacement.