Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

Thought Stewart interviewed well after the game today. 

Didn't do to much wrong, the shape was ok, any subs would have disrupted the style of play. 4-2-4 for the last 20 min in a game we were down 2-0 at this stage of the season was a decent gamble. 

7/10 a decent afternoon

Personally I think he’s better as a coach than as a manager. I certainly don’t think he’s the man to guide us to the top flight 
What are you basing this on? Do you have insider info?

I think it's a strange reaction to write stewart off so quickly.

Today wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either.

I'd also like to add that I don't want our team to play like ICT. It seems to me to be the opposite of what we have now.

I know it's effective but it's also ugly and predictable (and more than a wee bit sneaky).

Whoever it is has to have shown they can fit into the system that we currently have.

I'd also like to add that I don't want our team to play like ICT. It seems to me to be the opposite of what we have now.

I know it's effective but it's also ugly and predictable (and more than a wee bit sneaky).

Whoever it is has to have shown they can fit into the system that we currently have.

I'd like them to play like ICT against ICT. I'd rather shit house and get 3 points than play pretty and get none

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

John Robertson extremely complimentary about us on and off the pitch, given Caleys financial worries would he be interested in applying for the managers job?

To be fair, we all patronise you bit as we're about to head up the road with 3 points after a nice day out in your cool wee ground. It doesn't mean we want to be your manger. 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Anybody think Peter Murphy is a shout for the managers job,  doing well at Annan and has them playing good football despite having to rebuild every season.  Surely a better option than the rest of the retreads.

Annan regular here but was at Somerset today.

You're right about Peter Murphy, he's done well with very limited resources and developed young players well. A couple of years ago he brought a lot of youth over from QoS who hadn't made the grade at Championship level but looked good in League 2, until they got bullied out of games by bigger, stronger teams. Murphy adapted his style of play and got the young boys to mix it a little, so much so that some fans of other teams just think of Annan as a gang of bruisers.

11 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'd like them to play like ICT against ICT. I'd rather shit house and get 3 points than play pretty and get none

As I've described, that's what Peter Murphy has done with Annan. A few of the young guys he signed have left and moved on to League 1, and I think Murphy is ready for that step too. If you were still a League 1 team it'd be a great move, but I think jumping from League 2 to Championship would be a step too far just now.

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

What are you basing this on? Do you have insider info?

I think it's a strange reaction to write stewart off so quickly.

Today wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either.

His previous managerial stint was with Airdrie. Shows he’s not rated as a manager when nobody has gave him the head job since then, only assistant/coaching roles 

His previous managerial stint was with Airdrie. Shows he’s not rated as a manager when nobody has gave him the head job since then, only assistant/coaching roles 

Or he’s been quite happy working as assistant to his best mate over the years.

12 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

John Robertson extremely complimentary about us on and off the pitch, given Caleys financial worries would he be interested in applying for the managers job?

He will apply for the job, get told where to go then will phone his own club and claim he's been approached by Ayr.

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I can assure you he had offers made to return to management  , but at the time he was in partnership with Owen Coyle at big clubs who at the time were doing well , remember he only stopped coaching with Coyle just over 2 years ago and was not allowed to go anywhere whilst receiving payments from County for his contract being cut due to Coyle sacking , as soon as he was allowed to return to football he came to us , people who don’t want him due to yesterdays result are pretty petty , we did not deserve to lose that yesterday and I don’t know how some fans are blaming him , 

Edited by Robbo63

I don’t just not want him as manager because of yesterday’s result, I’ve been saying the same thing since McCall left. Yesterday I felt he could and should have made a substitution earlier than he did. Even Stevie Wonder could have seen things weren’t working and that the attacking threat were having an off day. Personally I’d have brought on Moore before I brought on Doolan (who was again woeful in his cameo role) 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

He will apply for the job, get told where to go 

Our loss then. Him and Sandy would be a decent team. Sandy promoting the silky side of the game when we have the ball and Robertson identifying players who'll provide a bit of aggression and organisation when we dont have the ball. Sometimes situations at other clubs dictate potential candidates who might not otherwise be available.

If Caley's financial plight worsens or looks like its going to, then Robertson has to look after his own career surely?

Edited by BukyOHare

Really difficult one for us on the new manager.  2 weeks ago, most of us barely even knew what Stewart’s role at the club was beyond the vague title of “coach” and now he seems to be the automatic choice for manager despite not holding that role at any club for 15 years.

I absolutely would want him to stay, but I can’t help thinking we need an experienced front man who will let Stewart do what he is evidently very good at.  Guess it depends on who applies.  Some of the names being linked with us just seem like the usual roll call of out of work failures being touted by their pals in the media. 

6 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Really difficult one for us on the new manager.  2 weeks ago, most of us barely even knew what Stewart’s role at the club was beyond the vague title of “coach” and now he seems to be the automatic choice for manager despite not holding that role at any club for 15 years.

I absolutely would want him to stay, but I can’t help thinking we need an experienced front man who will let Stewart do what he is evidently very good at.  Guess it depends on who applies.  Some of the names being linked with us just seem like the usual roll call of out of work failures being touted by their pals in the media. 

It seems you and I are the only two who aren’t wanting him as manager and just want him to stay on as coach. I’m surprised  at how many of our support are clambering for him to get the job full time as if he’s some sort of Klopp style messiah 

18 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It seems you and I are the only two who aren’t wanting him as manager and just want him to stay on as coach. I’m surprised  at how many of our support are clambering for him to get the job full time as if he’s some sort of Klopp style messiah 

Nobody is saying Klopp style messiah , tell me who on the list do you want as manager ? They are out of a job for one reason and one reason only they are not good enough , most fans just want Stewart to stay for the continuity, if he does not get the job will he want to stay on as coach ? Most managers want their own man in , so hope whoever gets it wants to play our style of football , if not we could have a real struggle 

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You can add me to this also. He’s a brilliant coach and very popular with the players so I would definitely want him to stay as a coach however he hasn’t managed for years  so would be very reluctant to give him the managerial job. 

With interviews due to start hopefully we’ll get some names next week. If John Robertson has applied (highly doubtful) then he should get the job. Best manager in the championship imo.