Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

23 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'm sure  McCall mentioned Doolan being within the wage budget, and not having excessive wages.

Correct , he is not one of the biggest earners , he chose Ayr over Dundee for family reasons , he lives 12 miles from Ayr and has made his money in football , life for some people is not about how big their bank balance is , families are important to many people , also feel he is getting treated poorly by a number of fans , no one was slagging him when he came , he can’t get into team due to our performances , he is a true professional and very well liked within the squad , watch him when we score always out the box celebrating and does a lot of talking with the younger players 

Edited by Robbo63

Whilst its good to have old heads around the younger players, we have quite enough of those as it is (who still play - Moffat, Kerr, Adams, Geggan, Bell) 

If he can't contribute on the pitch then he is surplus to requirements. Taxi in January, Thistle can have him back. His contribution thus far is on a par with El Alagui!

38 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Correct , he is not one of the biggest earners , he chose Ayr over Dundee for family reasons , he lives 12 miles from Ayr and has made his money in football , life for some people is not about how big their bank balance is , families are important to many people , also feel he is getting treated poorly by a number of fans , no one was slagging him when he came , he can’t get into team due to our performances , he is a true professional and very well liked within the squad , watch him when we score always out the box celebrating and does a lot of talking with the younger players 

Have to agree, don't understand where all the negativity towards the guy stems from, he's had a very good career and it's not his fault that father time is catching up with him, I'm sure he gives his all whenever he crosses the white line, as fans, that's all we can expect from players, they're not our property.

38 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Have to agree, don't understand where all the negativity towards the guy stems from, he's had a very good career and it's not his fault that father time is catching up with him, I'm sure he gives his all whenever he crosses the white line, as fans, that's all we can expect from players, they're not our property.

It's because some Ayr fans need a scapegoat. It can't be Harvie after the start he has had and Robbie Crawford is away. So Doolan it is. 

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Anyone defending Doolan can get into the sea with him. He's just not up to it, I realise this is harsh but it is fair.

Its compounded by the fact that he'll be on a wedge as Dundee were after him too. I wouldn't be surprised if hes the highest earner.

You’ve missed the point.  He’s been poor and predictably so given he couldn’t get a game last season for a rotten Partick side.  It was some of the abuse he was getting that I didn’t like e.g. a few boos when he came on as a sub.  He was warming up behind the goals in the first half and I heard a few shouts along the lines of f*** off to Partick.   Not necessary.  

2 minutes ago, RedEd said:

We shouldn't,  but some folk clearly need one.

Chris Aitken was a scapegoat. I'm not sure anyone since has got it quite as bad.

7 minutes ago, HMIP said:

You’ve missed the point.  He’s been poor and predictably so given he couldn’t get a game last season for a rotten Partick side.  It was some of the abuse he was getting that I didn’t like e.g. a few boos when he came on as a sub.  He was warming up behind the goals in the first half and I heard a few shouts along the lines of f*** off to Partick.   Not necessary.  

I agree that booing him and telling him to f off to Partick is unnecessary. We're meant to support our own players afterall.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Whilst its good to have old heads around the younger players, we have quite enough of those as it is (who still play - Moffat, Kerr, Adams, Geggan, Bell) 

If he can't contribute on the pitch then he is surplus to requirements. Taxi in January, Thistle can have him back. His contribution thus far is on a par with El Alagui!

Utter rubbish , El Alagui got a game every week and proved he was a shocking player , Doolan had not had that chance he has started 4 games and scored 3 goals !! Apart from that has only come on when games are over , surplus to requirements???? We have a squad of 18 players , they can’t all play at the one time , the front three are are the current holders of their position due to performances , you need competition to ensure they keep that up , him being on the sideline keeps that going as they know if they drop below what’s required he will take their place 

14 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Utter rubbish , El Alagui got a game every week and proved he was a shocking player , Doolan had not had that chance he has started 4 games and scored 3 goals !! Apart from that has only come on when games are over , surplus to requirements???? We have a squad of 18 players , they can’t all play at the one time , the front three are are the current holders of their position due to performances , you need competition to ensure they keep that up , him being on the sideline keeps that going as they know if they drop below what’s required he will take their place 

Are you Kris Doolan by any chance? Talk about twisting stats to your own ends.

El Alagui played 11 league games (that included sub appearances) and got 3 goals. Doolan got two goals against a dreadful Berwick and has 1 league goal. He is not performing.

A squad of 18 players, how do you count? Is it not 20/21?

Doohan, Hare-Reid, Harvie, Ecrepont, Bell, Adams, Muirhead, Roscoe, Geggan, Houston, Forrest, McGuffie, Docherty, Kerr, Murdoch, Kelly, McCowan, Moffat, Moore, Doolan, McKenzie. 

None of the front three need worry about Doolan taking their place. Hes dreadful.

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Are you Kris Doolan by any chance? Talk about twisting stats to your own ends.

El Alagui played 11 league games (that included sub appearances) and got 3 goals. Doolan got two goals against a dreadful Berwick and has 1 league goal. He is not performing.

A squad of 18 players, how do you count? Is it not 20/21?

Doohan, Hare-Reid, Harvie, Ecrepont, Bell, Adams, Muirhead, Roscoe, Geggan, Houston, Forrest, McGuffie, Docherty, Kerr, Murdoch, Kelly, McCowan, Moffat, Moore, Doolan, McKenzie. 

None of the front three need worry about Doolan taking their place. Hes dreadful.

I Don’t count keepers also did not count Moore as up to yesterday he was not even fit for squad , you have your opinion and I have mine that’s fine , he’s that dreadful that when he left Thistle the 3 clubs in for him were Dundee Utd, Dundee and us, as for not getting a game for Thistle that was not through performance, that was through a personality clash with a manager with an obnoxious attitude , 

Edited by Robbo63

I’m far from Doolans biggest fan but some of the criticism is a tad harsh.

I have no doubts that he is remaining professional and will continue to do so.

Whilst he’s not exactly set the heather alight, he’s not in the same bracket as El Alagui either. In the 4-4-2 we were playing he was poor but he’s a poacher and we weren’t creating chances for him.

The only game he’s started in the 4-3-3 he did well and got his goal. Moffat is 34 and will have to be rested at some point and so Doolan will get his chance and when he does I have no doubts that he’ll add to his tally.

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m far from Doolans biggest fan but some of the criticism is a tad harsh.

I have no doubts that he is remaining professional and will continue to do so.

Whilst he’s not exactly set the heather alight, he’s not in the same bracket as El Alagui either. In the 4-4-2 we were playing he was poor but he’s a poacher and we weren’t creating chances for him.

The only game he’s started in the 4-3-3 he did well and got his goal. Moffat is 34 and will have to be rested at some point and so Doolan will get his chance and when he does I have no doubts that he’ll add to his tally.

Good post. 

Doolan when given a chance hasn't really done anything wrong, however it's more that he's not really contributed enough when compared with the front three, much the same as Moore when fit and given a chance last season.

Doolan also seems like a thoroughly decent guy and a good professional so would agree that he doesn't deserve any of the stick he's been getting.

In fairness, I believe it's the McCall and Partick situation that's made Doolan unpopular, even though he's not actually done anything to deserve it.............

After the first quarter and teams get wise to what we are doing, things will need to be mixed up slightly when the front three aren't having much success. Moore and Doolan are completely different to Moffat, McCown and Forrest, it will allow us to change our style of play with two proven goalscorers. 

Doolan is in a worse situation than Harkins was, not really anywhere to fit in to the team, doesn't fit the formation and just looks a bit crap. Injuries, suspensions and players looking jaded in a couple of months time and we will need them. 

After the first quarter and teams get wise to what we are doing, things will need to be mixed up slightly when the front three aren't having much success. Moore and Doolan are completely different to Moffat, McCown and Forrest, it will allow us to change our style of play with two proven goalscorers. 
Doolan is in a worse situation than Harkins was, not really anywhere to fit in to the team, doesn't fit the formation and just looks a bit crap. Injuries, suspensions and players looking jaded in a couple of months time and we will need them. 
I was more focused on the traditional end of year weather related slump and injury crisis that I forgot about teams wising up to us after the first quarter, same happened last season. Not sure we really have the squad size to be mixing it up that much.

13 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
35 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I was more focused on the traditional end of year weather related slump and injury crisis that I forgot about teams wising up to us after the first quarter, same happened last season. Not sure we really have the squad size to be mixing it up that much.

The state of pitches due to the weather is a concern as the silky passes in the opposition's box wont be on. If we had a tall centre we could resort to playing it long. Maybe we can play it long into the channels for Forrest or McCowan to run onto?

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The state of pitches due to the weather is a concern as the silky passes in the opposition's box wont be on. If we had a tall centre we could resort to playing it long. Maybe we can play it long into the channels for Forrest or McCowan to run onto?

The pitches elsewhere weren't actually the problem last season, it was Somerset that was horrendous as it seemed to me that the grass was too long and the pitch far too slow.

It's also one thing the opposition "catching on" to how we're playing, but quite another being able to stop us. I'm sure all the Managers knew what we were about from last season and I'm also sure that Robbie Neilson, Dick Campbell and Peter Grant all knew what to expect but ultimately none were able to prevent us from playing football and dominating the games.

I'm sure we will lose games and I'm sure we will have bad performances but sometimes the other team will outplay us and I'm sure we'll get the off bad refereeing decision but when it happens we'll just need to remember that we're Ayr United and not the old firm in as much that we should NEVER expect to be winning every week...........