Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

Anyone else starting to think McCall was tapped up in private well before the club was officially approached.

Wonder if we could have a case to take it to the SFA bit like Morton did with Falkirk.

Just all seems a bit too much of a coincidence for me how it all fell into place in the last couple of days at Thistle.

Anyone else starting to think McCall was tapped up in private well before the club was officially approached.

Wonder if we could have a case to take it to the SFA bit like Morton did with Falkirk.

I’m not sure but he probably had an “informal” chat with Gerry Britton prior to being approached. I genuinely believe he knew he was away on Thursday or Friday. I have no issue with him looking out for himself. I don’t think he owes us anything anymore but leaving 6 games into a league season and saying it was a hard decision when it wasn’t doesn’t sit well with me.

I’m not sure but he probably had an “informal” chat with Gerry Britton prior to being approached. I genuinely believe he knew he was away on Thursday or Friday. I have no issue with him looking out for himself. I don’t think he owes us anything anymore but leaving 6 games into a league season and saying it was a hard decision when it wasn’t doesn’t sit well with me.
Read somewhere that he said he'd 95% made his mind up by Saturday but allegedly our performance at Alloa made the decision more difficult.

As I said at some point if he wanted to leave that much he should have walked away after the Inverness game last season instead of rocking the ship at Ayr so early in the season. Got the feeling at the time he couldn't be arsed with constant rebuilding anymore and it turns out that was the case.

A lot of things he's said since the start of the season make sense now that at all this is coming out. There was a definite shift in tone in things like match previews and interviews but I just put that down to wacky McCall or tension with the board. He was obviously counting down the days till Caldwell got punted.

I'm less concerned about how the players will  deal with it now as they must have known this was coming for a while. Who knows, maybe a few of them are glad he's away and start playing better.

This just makes the Doolan signing all the more bizarre tbh

Edited by UpInTheAyr

53 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

A lot of things he's said since the start of the season make sense now that at all this is coming out. There was a definite shift in tone in things like match previews and interviews but I just put that down to wacky McCall or tension with the board. He was obviously counting down the days till Caldwell got punted.

I'm less concerned about how the players will  deal with it now as they must have known this was coming for a while. Who knows, maybe a few of them are glad he's away and start playing better.

Apparently a lot of the players are happier now as it was unsettling and most of them either knew or had an idea he was leaving.

Edited by malkyshotton
spelling error

Doolan was signed because he's McCalls pal he will be released in Dec and end up back at Thistle in some capacity we have been absolutely stitched up by McCall, I hope the players realise this and give them a pumping on the 2nd of November

29 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

McCall was under no illusions about our financial situation and indeed business model when he took the job. People like to question Cameron and a a "lack of ambition" however Cameron has pretty much backed McCall all the way and indeed saved our club from disaster.

He took the club back full time, he allowed him to increase his backroom staff and he pretty much provided him with the funds when he asked for the likes of Harkins, Shankland, Smith, Doolan etc.

I feel our club have done everything right here and ultimately McCall decided to leave us for whatever reason, but lack of support from the fans or the board are two reasons, which to me, are complete and utter disingenuous nonsense, despite some of the rumblings which are appearing............

8 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
40 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Doolan was signed because he's McCalls pal he will be released in Dec and end up back at Thistle in some capacity we have been absolutely stitched up by McCall, I hope the players realise this and give them a pumping on the 2nd of November

Be interesting to know how McCall sold him on the move though, did he tell him it'd probably be a short term move, and that he'd take the Thistle job if it comes up, with a promise of bringing him back? Could certainly go some way to explaining his lack of interest since joining. Or did McCall do a McCall special with the I'm here for the long term patter

Edited by UpInTheAyr

McCalls comments after you beat us at Firhill a few weeks ago were bizarre and bordering on disrespectful I thought. “Ayr shouldn’t be winning at Firhill four times in a year” or words to that effect. I said at the time he was flashing his knickers at us.

49 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Read somewhere that he said he'd 95% made his mind up by Saturday but allegedly our performance at Alloa made the decision more difficult.

As I said at some point if he wanted to leave that much he should have walked away after the Inverness game last season instead of rocking the ship at Ayr so early in the season. Got the feeling at the time he couldn't be arsed with constant rebuilding anymore and it turns out that was the case.

He's taken you to 2nd in the league before leaving. Assuming it's all downhill from here (which it probably will be) then at least you've got a points cushion to soften the fall. 

14 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Puts a whole new slant on “Harvie will be the next one to leave.”

Thing is we can't offer extended terms yet to players to try and keep and get a fee in the future as they won't consider anything until they know who is going to be manager.

Thing is we can't offer extended terms yet to players to try and keep and get a fee in the future as they won't consider anything until they know who is going to be manager.

As Cameron said though, these guys know that they’re in demand so all the power lies with them.

I’d be surprised if anyone is willing to sign anything until they’ve had a chance to see who’s interested in the summer.

57 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:
1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:
His pre match words from last week (Ayr had no divine right to go to Alloa and win)  raised my eyebrows.

Surely just paying Alloa respect they've earned over the past few years, no? Don't feel like there is any more to that one in particular.

There was no context to it. That was basically all he said in his pre match notes. Had he went into detail about past games etc you would be right, but it just seemed a bizzare bitchy comment like his post match comments at Firhill.

8 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

There was no context to it. That was basically all he said in his pre match notes. Had he went into detail about past games etc you would be right, but it just seemed a bizzare bitchy comment like his post match comments at Firhill.

The context was we had pumped Dundee United the previous week; he was just trying to manage expectations.