Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What’s the perfect job out of interest?

The point I’m trying to make is he very obviously wanted the Ayr job or he wouldn’t have applied for it.

I've applied for jobs I was offered but ultimately didn't take.

I'm not saying Darren Young didn't want the Ayr job or wouldn't have taken it if he had been offered. Even guys who have decent jobs outside football usually want to have a crack at full time management. It's understandable. And aside from the part-time / full-time thing, "there's always a bigger fish". 99.99% of clubs in the world are vulnerable to losing players or managers who do well if a club in a higher league and /or have a bigger budget come along. I think everyone gets that.

There's a decent argument to say that DY should stay at East Fife for a bit rather than take the Ayr job though. McCall did a very good job at Ayr. I don't know Ayr's budget but they seem like a club punching right at the top or even a bit above their weight at the moment. Any manager coming in will have expectations that are very difficult to meet over the next coupls of seasons. Receding back to mid-table in the championship will probably feel like a bit of a failure. See Gary Naysmith leaving East Fife for Queen of the South.

A job like Partick Thistle might be the more obvious next step for someone like DY. A bigger club down in the dumps. Expectations are low so you'll probabaly get a while to find your feet and the prospect of promotion is relatively realistic within a couple of years.

If he can get East Fife promoted or push all th eway for the L1 championship, it's likely he can bypass Ayr's 'rung' on the footballing ladder.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Young has literally only finished mid-table with you lot, including last year when you bottled a playoff position. And when did he prove his ability at Championship level?

Read the post I was replying to.

I was not describing Darren Young.

17 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Was high calibre people out there such as Derek Adams, Jim McIntyre, Martin Canning and Peter Houston but we've plumped for the cheap option, who else out of the 41 teams in the SPFL has promoted a player to a manger role, hardly any and how often are they a success, almost never.

As others have said, Thistle promoted an experienced player to manager twice in a row (Archibald and McNamara), both of who were fundamental in us winning promotion, staying there for 5 years and finishing top 6.

Edited by Jacky1990

You can forget the bottom 3. None of those clubs will go for a manager of a part time club in League 1.

Dundee, Dundee Utd and Partick aren’t on the table either.

Dunfermline is the only real option there and they’ll likely go for McIntyre if they sack Stevie Crawford.
Poundland Falkirk looking for a manager

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Look, Mark Kerr might turn out to be a managerial gem but that has to be the most underwhelming appointment in years, especially considering all the build-up.

I predict a brief bounce and then a steady plummet back to League 1.

Yeah, thanks for that Nostradamus...................

Don't understand why Cameron gave it all the big talk about jetting in from LA to interview these guys and then saying on Saturday about having to fly home but new manager will be announced on Tuesday. Made it sound as if it was going to be some glamour appointment.

Hope Peter Houston comes in as assistant, with Stewart apparently gone the backroom staff are going to be even more important now.

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Don't understand why Cameron gave it all the big talk about jetting in from LA to interview these guys and then saying on Saturday about having to fly home but new manager will be announced on Tuesday. Made it sound as if it was going to be some glamour appointment.

Hope Peter Houston comes in as assistant, with Stewart apparently gone the backroom staff are going to be even more important now.

Where has Stewart gone ? My belief is he will still be in the same position he was before McCall left 

13 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Getting out the country before the back lash started :lol:

Edited by ayrunitedfw

Never see Stewart Petrie mentioned much in these chats. There's a very good argument to say he's been th ebest manager in Leagues One and Two over the past few years.

Is everyone just assuming he's waiting for the right time to take the Dunfermlne job?

I see their is a 17 minute interview that AU Media did with Kerr, anyone fancy giving it a watch and summing up the main points.

He actually applied for it before Sandy. McCall told him on the Saturday night after Alloa that he was considering going and Kerr said to Stewart on the Sunday that he would put his name in for it. Stewart then said on the Monday that he wanted it.

Staying on as player-manager just now because of the small squad but it looks like that’ll be addressed in January. He also wants a backroom put in place that allows him to continue his playing duties whenever he is needed.

Says he’s different from McCall so won’t be a complete copycat but there’s things that he can draw from him and other managers.

The playing style will remain as it is. He wants the players to be able to play with the ball instead of going direct.

He made a point of saying that it’s important players commit to longer contracts so not everything is done at the last minute. Will also give fans a piece of mind that they’ve got players secured for coming seasons.

Absolutely no one on that shortlist (apart from Young at a push) stands out in the slightest.
I’d far rather we appointed Kerr than McIntyre or Canning. People will go on about the Roberts example but equally you can also look at Archibald or Jack Ross. Every single managerial appointment is a gamble regardless of experience. Get behind him and hopefully he can build on what’s already there.
100% this almost universally on this post folk have said they did not want the same old names i.e McIntyre we go out the box and do something different and still get slated, every manger has to start somewhere who knows Kerr may turn out to be the best appointment we could have made.