Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

Yes so he would like to go back full time but he's clearly not desperate.
He has a good job outside football and has a good job in football just now. If he bides his time the perfect job will appear for him I have no doubt.

What’s the perfect job out of interest?

The point I’m trying to make is he very obviously wanted the Ayr job or he wouldn’t have applied for it.

If it were indeed a robust process i will be interested to see who the other applicants were and also Kerr’s backroom team of choice. Some of the key parameters being mooted were integrating youth players plus working on a reduced budget. Unless Kerr has someone like Houston lined up I really wonder how he could beat some of the other names mentioned in a fair process. Would robust also have Stewart, Kerr and Brannigan making up a chunk of the face to face interviews unless cash was a real issue

The club won’t and shouldn’t say who the other candidates were. Would be a bit unfair to them. However I was told that it was Stewart, Canning, McIntyre, Young and Sheerin and an unknown 6th candidate who it transpires is Kerr.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You'd have a guy who has previously stated he has no interest in being a manager again? Could be a bit of a gamble...

Jupp Heynckes had said in 2013 that he had 'no intention of coaching again', and then in 2017 returned to coaching and won the Bundesliga.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

The club won’t and shouldn’t say who the other candidates were. Would be a bit unfair to them. However I was told that it was Stewart, Canning, McIntyre, Young and Sheerin and an unknown 6th candidate who it transpires is Kerr.

If that indeed is correct then how Kerr has emerged as the best candidate from that lot I’ll never know. 

Any ideas when backroom staff is likely to be announced? 

3 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Jupp Heynckes had said in 2013 that he had 'no intention of coaching again', and then in 2017 returned to coaching and won the Bundesliga.

Now that WOULD have been a "showbiz" appointment.................

If that indeed is correct then how Kerr has emerged as the best candidate from that lot I’ll never know. 

Any ideas when backroom staff is likely to be announced? 

I thought that myself but none of us have any idea what those discussions were like.

I’d imagine the backroom staff will be announced either this afternoon or tomorrow. I’m pretty keen to see who he brings on board.

What’s the perfect job out of interest?

The point I’m trying to make is he very obviously wanted the Ayr job or he wouldn’t have applied for it.
One of the bigger clubs that are down in championship.
Dundee
Dundee United (who he beat)
Partick
Dunfermline even as well

Could even get something like
St mirren
St Johnstone
Hamilton

Dundee
Partick
Dunfermline even as well

St mirren
St Johnstone
Hamilton

You can forget the bottom 3. None of those clubs will go for a manager of a part time club in League 1.

Dundee, Dundee Utd and Partick aren’t on the table either.

Dunfermline is the only real option there and they’ll likely go for McIntyre if they sack Stevie Crawford.

10 minutes ago, Tommi_Pavlova said:

Makes you wonder how harmonious things have been in the interim between Kerr and Stewart and team. There’s obviously a difference in their respective approaches.

No matter the appointment my backing was always going to be theirs to lose.

If so you wouldn't have known. The team played very well on Saturday and could very easily have left Fife with the three points and although the Inverness game was another defeat and we were bullied about, again, if we'd taken our chances which we created it could have been a completely different story.

I would actually say that our worst performance of the season so far was the 1-0 home win against QOS, where we really failed to fire and but for good goalkeeping from Doohan and poor finishing from Queens it would have been a draw or even a defeat.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Who would've been a "showbiz" appointment? 

• Young, hungry manager, retired from playing within the past few years.
  • Good few years of experience as a manager, preferably working his way up from coaching youths then first teams in Leagues One or Two.
  • Proven ability to manage at Championship level.
  • No blemishes on the CV e.g. relegations or mid-table finishes.
Spoiler

Nope..... me neither

19 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Dundee
Partick
Dunfermline even as well

St mirren
St Johnstone
Hamilton

None of them would appoint Young as he is. Unless he was to gain promotion via the play offs or win League 1. A club like Ayr/Raith/QOS/Morton is the next logical step for him.

Edited by callum-ayr

• Young, hungry manager, retired from playing within the past few years.
  • Good few years of experience as a manager, preferably working his way up from coaching youths then first teams in Leagues One or Two.
  • Proven ability to manage at Championship level.
  • No blemishes on the CV e.g. relegations or mid-table finishes.
Spoiler

Nope..... me neither

Young has literally only finished mid-table with you lot, including last year when you bottled a playoff position. And when did he prove his ability at Championship level?

39 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Greame Norton?

Not sure who that is but I don't think Graham Norton has ever managed a youth team.

32 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Okay, I've seen it all now. I'll leave you boys to it.

Absolutely no one on that shortlist (apart from Young at a push) stands out in the slightest.

I’d far rather we appointed Kerr than McIntyre or Canning. People will go on about the Roberts example but equally you can also look at Archibald or Jack Ross. Every single managerial appointment is a gamble regardless of experience. Get behind him and hopefully he can build on what’s already there.

Mark Kerr is very high risk, if this goes Pete Tong we're back in the seaside league of League 1 and McCalls hard work of the last five years could be destroyed within just 18 months.

Was high calibre people out there such as Derek Adams, Jim McIntyre, Martin Canning and Peter Houston but we've plumped for the cheap option, who else out of the 41 teams in the SPFL has promoted a player to a manger role, hardly any and how often are they a success, almost never.

As I've said before I hope I'm proved wrong and I'll give him a chance but I'm not optimistic. Hasn't even been confirmed if Stewart is staying, if he goes aswell this is a complete shit show from Cameron.

I’m coming round to it. However he needs a good assistant and coach and really needs the backing in January. First and foremost he needs to replace himself and get a good replacement in for Murdoch. Can see Doolan and Adams departing in January and possibly Moore.

25 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Dundee
Partick
Dunfermline even as well

St mirren
St Johnstone
Hamilton

There would be Bomber Brown levels of outrage if we were to punt McPake and appoint Darren Young.