Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

Extremely disappointed that there's no Coyle or Houston on that list, Young would be a huge gamble, never managed at a full time level. Sheerin can gtf hasn't managed at a professional level in 5 years. Out of McIntyre and Canning it would have to be Canning at a push because he'd probably be easier to work with a smaller budget compared to McIntyre.

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:
53 minutes ago, Iain said:

Extremely disappointed that there's no Coyle or Houston on that list, Young would be a huge gamble, never managed at a full time level. Sheerin can gtf hasn't managed at a professional level in 5 years. Out of McIntyre and Canning it would have to be Canning at a push because he'd probably be easier to work with a smaller budget compared to 

For some, eg Houston or Coyle, perhaps it's not the right job for them.  Not wanting to work in the Championship, salary expectations to name but two.

I wouldn't be too hard on the likes of Sheerin either, he's clearly been humble enough to go and work with youth teams and presumably keep his head down, keep learning and wait for the right opportunity.

Fair play to anybody else who's done the same. The ex bosses never off the tv or radio gravy train are the ones to be avoided imho.

These guys might be more of the opinion that working at a certain level of the game is somehow beneath them.

Yet somehow when an opportunity arises they're surely providing examples two or three seasons old because they've been too busy picking up easy money for their "expert" opinions.

The papers are all speculating the 6 , between 4 newspapers I have seen there has been 9 names mentioned , between them they have not named all 6 IMO , only Lachlan knows them all and interviews taking place nationwide so no point asking people around the stadium who has been in today !

Edited by Robbo63

The bottom line is that we need whoever comes in to continue to play entertaining and attacking football then after that the priority has to be to hold on, or at least offer, extended contracts to our prize assets where possible.

If we can do that then the future is bright and the club can consolidate / move forward, however if we're looking to lose most of our current squad for nothing / next to nothing at the end of the season then to be honest it matters very little who we get in, as it'll just be back to avoiding relegation to league 1 by whatever means possible...........

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The bottom line is that we need whoever comes in to continue to play entertaining and attacking football then after that the priority has to be to hold on, or at least offer, extended contracts to our prize assets where possible.

If we can do that then the future is bright and the club can consolidate / move forward, however if we're looking to lose most of our current squad for nothing / next to nothing at the end of the season then to be honest it matters very little who we get in, as it'll just be back to avoiding relegation to league 1 by whatever means possible...........

Of the top of my head we lost Shankland, Smith, McDaid, Rose and Crawford  in the summer yet are still sitting 2nd top of the league so if we lost another few in the summer there is no guarantee we’d be back to avoiding relegation to league 1. 

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Of the top of my head we lost Shankland, Smith, McDaid, Rose and Crawford  in the summer yet are still sitting 2nd top of the league so if we lost another few in the summer there is no guarantee we’d be back to avoiding relegation to league 1. 

If whats being rumoured is true and we face losing more important players in the summer, then over time the continual dismantling and rebuilding has to catch up with the club and that will eventually lead to a relegation battle that we'll do well to survive. 

We can't force players to sign extended contracts but if they aren't going to stay then we have to start selling them if possible in January. To keep losing prized assets for free cannot be sustainable, its applauded at the same time but ultimately unsustainable for a club of our size.

This is True, however Geggan, Kerr, Moffat, Adams & Bell are all the wrong side of 30, fortunately this means they're unlikely to be poached by other clubs at this stage in their careers but on the flip side the whole lot of them will require to be replaced sooner or later.

My main worry is that we lose the likes of Harvie, Forrest & Doc for nothing, although I believe both McCowan and Roscoe have a further year on their contracts ? and of course Kelly & Doohan are only on Loan, so while we've done brilliantly again this season it would be a very big ask to keep producing the goods both through Loan players and also our own youths (although we do seem to have some decent talent).

As I say, i just think we need to be pulling out all the stops to try and hold on to our best young players and if we can't then in order to move forward we need to be pulling in transfer fees for them like most other clubs seem to manage as that would at least set us up for a few years.

Don't get me wrong, our business model over the last 2 seasons appears to be working and working very well, however I'm just a bit worried that it could all come crashing down just as we're beginning to get a head of steam up for the first time in decades................

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This is True, however Geggan, Kerr, Moffat, Adams & Bell are all the wrong side of 30, fortunately this means they're unlikely to be poached by other clubs at this stage in their careers but on the flip side the whole lot of them will require to be replaced sooner or later.

My main worry is that we lose the likes of Harvie, Forrest & Doc for nothing, although I believe both McCowan and Roscoe have a further year on their contracts ? and of course Kelly & Doohan are only on Loan, so while we've done brilliantly again this season it would be a very big ask to keep producing the goods both through Loan players and also our own youths (although we do seem to have some decent talent).

As I say, i just think we need to be pulling out all the stops to try and hold on to our best young players and if we can't then in order to move forward we need to be pulling in transfer fees for them like most other clubs seem to manage as that would at least set us up for a few years.

Don't get me wrong, our business model over the last 2 seasons appears to be working and working very well, however I'm just a bit worried that it could all come crashing down just as we're beginning to get a head of steam up for the first time in decades................

The only thing we can do to try and ensure we keep our better players is get promoted this season which given our start to the season should absolutely be the target. 

I'd be quite happy to sell one of our strong players for a good price and sell-on this January - but no more than one.

That would provide funds and also show youngsters that they can get their big move with us. If we can tie up anyone else then we should.

I believe that the new manager coming in will have much better control of our up and coming players and a number of these guys will be on longer contracts , we are in the position that we need to build from within ( there are a number of reserve players that in 1-2 years will be decent acquisitions ) he will keep a core of 8/10 and build a team around them , we will see this season through comfortably enough and will be a stronger more consistent team ( players )  from next season and not in the position to have to build every year 

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

The only thing we can do to try and ensure we keep our better players is get promoted this season which given our start to the season should absolutely be the target. 

Call me negative but I'm still aiming for a top half finish and at a push a playoff place.

Off the park we're miles behind the two Dundee clubs and a few others as well in terms of turnover and attendances

What we've done under McCall is hugely unsustainable over time and a regression to the mean is surely ahead of us. Thats not defeatist, we can and should still compete, but it's realistic over a period of time.

Sustained success in the modern game is built on firm financial foundations and from there it comes down to coaching and recruitment.

Teams with bigger budgets, as we found out to our cost in the summer, have a massive advantage and over time that should lead to "success".

10 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Lets hope our strong start to the season is enough to counter our inevitable poor second half of season and book us a playoff spot. Other teams continuing to be a complete rabble will help too.

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Lets hope our strong start to the season is enough to counter our inevitable poor second half of season and book us a playoff spot. Other teams continuing to be a complete rabble will help too.

McCall is gone so not convinced that we’ll see our usual second half of the season collapse. 

59 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

The papers are all speculating the 6 , between 4 newspapers I have seen there has been 9 names mentioned , between them they have not named all 6 IMO , only Lachlan knows them all and interviews taking place nationwide so no point asking people around the stadium who has been in today !

Mourinho getting his interview with Lachlan down at the Ritz then?

8 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Call me negative but I'm still aiming for a top half finish and at a push a playoff place.

Off the park we're miles behind the two Dundee clubs and a few others as well in terms of turnover and attendances

What we've done under McCall is hugely unsustainable over time and a regression to the mean is surely ahead of us. Thats not defeatist, we can and should still compete, but it's realistic over a period of time.

Sustained success in the modern game is built on firm financial foundations and from there it comes down to coaching and recruitment.

Teams with bigger budgets, as we found out to our cost in the summer, have a massive advantage and over time that should lead to "success".

Yeah, you are being negative. This league is rank rotten.