Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

Ah okay didn't realise that, thought Monday was when it's supposed to be announced? A decision until the middle of next week ain't going to give the manager must time to prepare for Dundee as it's the Friday night.

I’m sure the 23rd was the date we planned to have someone by.

5 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

What’s the thoughts on Paul Sheerin ? Knowledgeable, can work from academy players to 1st team , links to our feeder club ( Aberdeen) managed before , heard from a source showed an interest , not sure if he is on the short list though 

I loved Sheerin as a player. I was genuinely gutted when he left us for Aberdeen, and there have been very few occasions were I was saddened to see a player leave.

If the the 6 man short list is correct the only guy who currently has a mangers gig is Young now unless our financial situation has been changed with the compensation from Thistle are we in a position to pay compensation to East Fife if we offer him the job.

The compensation is very rarely a significant fee in this case.

If we really want Young or any other manager under contract I’m sure we won’t let compensation stand in the way.

The compensation is very rarely a significant fee in this case.

If we really want Young or any other manager under contract I’m sure we won’t let compensation stand in the way.
Agree if he's the right man for the job hopefully a few thousand pounds won't scupper the deal.

25 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Ah okay didn't realise that, thought Monday was when it's supposed to be announced? A decision until the middle of next week ain't going to give the manager must time to prepare for Dundee as it's the Friday night.

I never realised it would be that king myself.  However I’m sure once the last interview is concluded, I would imagine get the weekend out the road, finish the selection process and offer the job Monday and announce it Tuesday.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

It's only Dundee, Derek could prepare us to play them.

Finding out the wage might cut the six down. 

My thoughts are, it would suit someone Glasgow or south, with media work to supplement the wage. By that reckoning I would say Huston fits the bill.  John Hughes travelled through as a player and does stuff with the SFA in Glasgow. My gut feeling is it'll be one of these two. Huston was number two at a dreadful Morton team but is the under 21 assistant which might be appealing to Camerons stipulation about developing youth.

Canning has put the time in and done his homework but I think he needs to build a reputation first, like Darren Young, take on a poor or mediocre team and make them better, I don't think he showed that at Hamilton. Darren has done well building part time teams, my concern is, he would follow the trend of Iain Murray, Paul Hartley, Barry Smith that do well to a stage but don't really thrive at full time level like they did at part time. 

McIntyre looks like a mediocre appointment, seems to keep clubs at a level, apart from Dundee obviously without ever being exciting. Wouldn't have the money Ross County used to bail out managers with at Christmas to keep them up. Has experience at this level and will have contacts. 

Sandy Stewart looks to be well liked at the club and I hope he will be treated better than Andy Millen was.He Was away from Scottish football for a while and hasn't been a number one for over a decade but is obviously a very capable coach. Backed up by an experienced Kenny Brannigan and a popular player in Mark Kerr I think it would be the appointment most fans could get behind and hope that it worked. 

Unless there is an absolute showbiz wildcard that would come in and take the pressure off them, let them do the training while they are on TV and radio, inflating the worth of our players and talking up the club.

Unless there is an absolute showbiz wildcard that would come in and take the pressure off them, let them do the training while they are on TV and radio, inflating the worth of our players and talking up the club.

IMG_3457.jpg

My thoughts are, it would suit someone Glasgow or south, with media work to supplement the wage. By that reckoning I would say Huston fits the bill.  John Hughes travelled through as a player and does stuff with the SFA in Glasgow. My gut feeling is it'll be one of these two. Huston was number two at a dreadful Morton team but is the under 21 assistant which might be appealing to Camerons stipulation about developing youth.
Canning has put the time in and done his homework but I think he needs to build a reputation first, like Darren Young, take on a poor or mediocre team and make them better, I don't think he showed that at Hamilton. Darren has done well building part time teams, my concern is, he would follow the trend of Iain Murray, Paul Hartley, Barry Smith that do well to a stage but don't really thrive at full time level like they did at part time. 
McIntyre looks like a mediocre appointment, seems to keep clubs at a level, apart from Dundee obviously without ever being exciting. Wouldn't have the money Ross County used to bail out managers with at Christmas to keep them up. Has experience at this level and will have contacts. 
Sandy Stewart looks to be well liked at the club and I hope he will be treated better than Andy Millen was.He Was away from Scottish football for a while and hasn't been a number one for over a decade but is obviously a very capable coach. Backed up by an experienced Kenny Brannigan and a popular player in Mark Kerr I think it would be the appointment most fans could get behind and hope that it worked. 

In all seriousness that’s a pretty good post.

Houston seems like a safe pair of hands with enough experience at this level and above, contacts in the Scottish game and has worked extensively with youth players over his career. I would be more than happy with him, Stewart and another coach being in charge.

Darren Young seems to be the best of the part time options. He built a good Albion Rovers side and has now done the same at East Fife albeit it took him a season to get things to gel. If he was appointed I could see us take a dip initially but long term he would do well.

Either of these two options would do me, alongside Sandy Stewart and another coach.

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Canning has put the time in and done his homework but I think he needs to build a reputation first, like Darren Young, take on a poor or mediocre team and make them better, I don't think he showed that at Hamilton. Darren has done well building part time teams, my concern is, he would follow the trend of Iain Murray, Paul Hartley, Barry Smith that do well to a stage but don't really thrive at full time level.

Has taken a team into the SPL and won a League Cup with a small provincial overachieving club. We'd be partying like it's 1999 if even one of those titles came down Somerset way.

He at least has had success at our level or level up and keeping teams in the bottom half of the SPL must be a soul destroying task.

He's also worked alongside Derek McInnes in the past at Bristol City, so hopefully he'd also be able to access the Pittodrie talent factory.

We're currently joint top of the Championship, its highly unlikely we're going to stay there for a number of reasons. While it should be an attractive job given the teams ability, anyone coming in will be well aware of the regular challenges we face.

55 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Has taken a team into the SPL and won a League Cup with a small provincial overachieving club. We'd be partying like it's 1999 if even one of those titles came down Somerset way.

He at least has had success at our level or level up and keeping teams in the bottom half of the SPL must be a soul destroying task.

He's also worked alongside Derek McInnes in the past at Bristol City, so hopefully he'd also be able to access the Pittodrie talent factory.

We're currently joint top of the Championship, its highly unlikely we're going to stay there for a number of reasons. While it should be an attractive job given the teams ability, anyone coming in will be well aware of the regular challenges we face.

That's a good point, it wasn't so long ago that we could only dream about getting in someone like Stevie Aitken, yet here we are just a couple of years down the line now dismissing guys with years and in some cases decades of Management experience at a much higher level..........