Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

25 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

His Albion Rovers side absolutely over achieved.

He’s got a good East Fife side this season in fairness but it’s he’s still doing better than most would’ve thought by sitting 2nd. Plus no one would’ve expected them to beat Dundee United this season and take Hearts to penalties and beat them.

Fair enough, I just didn't think his overall record merited such a step up at this time, but again there's lots of higher profile characters apparently in for it who've had very mixed results to say the least.

Fair enough, I just didn't think his overall record merited such a step up at this time, but again there's lots of higher profile characters apparently in for it who've had very mixed results to say the least.

Any manager we appoint will have a black spot on his record. Of the six mentioned I still think Houston is our best bet but then again those six names might be wrong.

32 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Any manager we appoint will have a black spot on his record. Of the six mentioned I still think Houston is our best bet but then again those six names might be wrong.

We could always bring back Neil and the two Rabs as a crack Management team.............

The reality is that we are either going to get a manager/coach with experience but some black marks on their CV or someone completely untested at this level.

Sometimes things don't work out for whatever reason. The experienced managers being linked with the job, even if not necessarily an inspiring list of names, have been doing something right at some point in their managerial careers.

Just because they might have failed somewhere else, it doesn't mean that they will fail with us.

Someone who knows what they're doing, doesn't make drastic changes to our style of play and can recognise the strengths and weaknesses of the squad would probably suffice. 

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Sandy Stewart, Jim McIntyre, Martin Canning, Peter Houston , John Hughes and Darren Young 

Just here out of interest, but if that list is indeed true, it is hard to look past Houston or Stewart

As someone who got to enjoy the Raith implosion, John Hughes should be nowhere near your selection process. You feel that once he is past the 'if i shout expletives louder then the team will play better' strategy, then he really has no other tactical nous about him.

Young i think would be an ideal candidate, his record doesnt look great on paper for us, but our cup runs last year led to a ridiculous fixture pile up, which for a PT team took its toll on our form. He has turned us into a very good cup team, delivered some of our best league runs in years, and he has an eye for a player - not just over reliance on the seasoned journeymen. 

I would hate to see him leave Bayview, but i think he will end up in your league sooner rather than later.

To be fair to Young, you'd like to think his better days in management might still be ahead of him, the rest of the supposed shortlist have undoubtedly had their chances to varying degrees and his career is on an upward path. That cannot be said for many on the shortlist.

He'll have learned loads from his time at Albion Rovers and East Fife, with his current team getting good reviews in a league up against 2 higher profile clubs.

If he does indeed have a good eye for a player thats definitely a strength that whoever gets the job will need, when it comes to a regular upheval to the squad, perhaps that's the way the club might go.

Might still have good contacts at Aberdeen which will stand him in good stead for potential signings in the future for us.

As long as he keeps King Sandy on the backroom team.

Darren young would be the most interesting progressive appointment but would also be the most risky, personally I would be happy for him to get it as long as Sandy Stays on. We have a good relationship with the Dons and maybe that would continue with a prominent ex player as our manager

9 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Darren young would be the most interesting progressive appointment but would also be the most risky, personally I would be happy for him to get it as long as Sandy Stays on. We have a good relationship with the Dons and maybe that would continue with a prominent ex player as our manager

If we hold out another couple of weeks we could end up with McInnes himself the way things are going at Pittodrie...............

6 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Hope papers are wrong , in a copy I seen today they have the 6 as

Sandy Stewart, Jim McIntyre, Martin Canning, Peter Houston , John Hughes and Darren Young 

None of those names are Ally McCoist tbf

24 minutes ago, Iain said:

You can’t force the manager to keep a first team coach he hasn’t chosen. If Stewart isn’t getting the job the new manager needs the freedom to hire his own coaches.

Kilmarnock and Livingston current managers were only appointed with the understanding they could not change any of the back room staff

16 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I think the backroom team at one of those clubs are a very special exception to that rule though.

Think your right , my belief is he runs the club !!! ( certainly provides a great deal of finance)

Edited by Robbo63