Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

Stewart & Kerr  in charge till the end of the season is the only appointment that doesn't fill me with dread.  Gives a chance to see how they handle a transfer window and the winter schedule, and is the only appointment that would have a minimal disruption to the team. Then at the end of the season, if it hasn't been successful, you can do a reboot.
We need someone in to help them though, unless I've missed a coaching appointment.

Two of the team have left and Kerr has stepped up (not ideal in terms of him playing but hopefully it'll work out well).

I'd like a coach who those two (but especially sandy) approve of, or even recommend. Give them a chance rather than having them overstretched.

5 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Stewart & Kerr  in charge till the end of the season is the only appointment that doesn't fill me with dread.  Gives a chance to see how they handle a transfer window and the winter schedule, and is the only appointment that would have a minimal disruption to the team. Then at the end of the season, if it hasn't been successful, you can do a reboot.

Yes, the names being quoted are hardly inspirational but I suppose this is one of the few times where a team at the top of the league who are playing well and entertaining the fans have actually had a need for a new Manager in the middle of a season.

Generally it's because the team are mince, losing every week, playing terrible football and the fans are beginning to stay away, so quite often ANYONE is seen as an improvement and a chance to get out of the rut.

The worry here is that the only way is down for whoever ends up with the job.............

We need someone in to help them though, unless I've missed a coaching appointment.

Two of the team have left and Kerr has stepped up (not ideal in terms of him playing but hopefully it'll work out well).

I'd like a coach who those two (but especially sandy) approve of, or even recommend. Give them a chance rather than having them overstretched.

Kenny Brannigan came in just before the Arbroath game.

And AFAIK Derek Stillie is still at the club.

Kenny Brannigan came in just before the Arbroath game.

And AFAIK Derek Stillie is still at the club.
Ahh so Kerr stepping up and brannigan coming in has us covered? I missed that appointment.

I think, like everyone here, I'll be really annoyed if someone comes in and tries to change things. We don't need change. We need stability and continuity.

I hope Cameron is communicating very closely with Stewart and Kerr. The last thing we need is folk's noses being put out of joint. Sometimes that needs to happen but definitely not this time.

Ahh so Kerr stepping up and brannigan coming in has us covered? I missed that appointment.

I think, like everyone here, I'll be really annoyed if someone comes in and tries to change things. We don't need change. We need stability and continuity.

I hope Cameron is communicating very closely with Stewart and Kerr. The last thing we need is folk's noses being put out of joint. Sometimes that needs to happen but definitely not this time.

Yeah so Stewart has replaced McCall and Kerr has taken over from Scally.

It’s not just the fans that will be annoyed. The players might be as well. One of the conditions for any new manager has to be Stewart kept on as a coach. I’d be happier if Kerr reverted back to just focusing on playing and that would allow the new manager to bring in someone he wants.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I wouldn't mind cathro brought in to the coaching team. He's clearly not the head honcho though - but I'm not sure we need one.

Aye, nae bother. I'm sure he'd be right up for leaving the coaching team at Wolves to come and do a bit of training with Ayr.

29 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

From what I’ve heard Stewart doesn’t want the job full time. I want him to stay as a coach as he’s popular with the players but don’t want him as manager. 

If this is indeed the case and Coyle is in for it, then it would make perfect sense to appoint him as He and Stewart have apparently got an excellent working relationship and his profile, contacts and PR stuff is pretty decent also.

I wouldn't be too upset if the interview short-list and subsequent appointment was one from :- 

1. Sandy Stewart and Mark Kerr (makes sense but only with Kerr in the box seat if Stewart doesn't want the job - and that would mean a big step up for Kerr)

2. Owen Coyle but only if  there is truth in him and Stewart having a good past understanding

3. Peter Murphy - the wild card selection and not without risk. Seems ideally suited for management from what I hear from players he's played with.

4. Stevie Farrell - doing well in difficult circumstances and could be a dark horse (and then I remember Neil Watt!)

I'd be upset if any of this lot were on the short-list

1. Ally McCoist - oh f**k off. No really, just f**k off.

2. Yogi Hughes - think I'd be shocked if he was in the running. A loose cannon isn't what we need.

3. Dick Campbell - (see McCoist and Hughes comments!)

4. Martin Canning  - terrible man, no charisma at all.

5. Jim McIntyre - what has he done to deserve any genuine consideration? And look at the number of clubs he's failed to improve. 

It'll probably be none of the above so ignore me you wish.

Edited by Jazzar

4 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I wouldn't be too upset if the inerview short-list and subsequent appointment was one from :- 

1. Sandy Stewart and Mark Kerr (makes sense but only with Kerr in the box seat if Stewart doesn't want the job - and that would mean a big step up for Kerr)

2. Owen Coyle but only if  there is truth in him and Stewart having a good past understanding

3. Peter Murphy - the wild card selection and not without risk. Seems ideally suited for management from what I hear from players he's played with.

4. Stevie Farrell - doing well in difficult circumstances and could be a dark horse (and then I remember Neil Watt!)

I'd be upset if any of this lot were on the short-list

1. Ally McCoist - oh f**k off. No really, just f**k off.

2. Yogi Hughes - think I'd be shocked if he was in the running. A loose cannon isn't what we need.

3. Dick Campbell - (see McCoist and Hughes comments!)

4. Martin Canning  - terrible man, no charisma at all.

5. Jim McIntyre - what has he done to deserve any genuine consideration? And look at the number of clubs he's failed to improve. 

It'll probably be none of the above so ignore me you wish.

I loved Murphy as a player so would be delighted if it was him.

In case anyone has forgotten (some of us have tried), we were sitting 2nd bottom of League 1 when McCall came in, so you'd think we'd be a MUCH more attractive proposition now than we were then, although having said that we're pretty much at the summit right now so anyone coming in might think the only way is down from here.

Still, we should be in a position to attract some decent calibre candidates.

Incidentally, has Peter Grant been mentioned.........

https://stv.tv/sport/football/305477-ian-mccall-named-new-manager-of-struggling-league-1-side-ayr-united/

Really don’t understand the shouts for Peter Murphy. He’s done nothing at Annan to show he is deserving of a shot at at a full time club. 

I’d like to see him back at some point but I’d also question what contacts he’ll have in the Scottish game, which was one of the requirements I think.

Beautiful man though.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Really don’t understand the shouts for Peter Murphy. He’s done nothing at Annan to show he is deserving of a shot at at a full time club. 

Took them to the playoff final last season where they were unlucky to lose to a Clyde team with a budget that would dwarf them.

If Jim Duffy was to leave us tomorrow, Murphy would be right up there with #1 choices to replace him - albeit I accept Ayr would be a far bigger step up.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah so Stewart has replaced McCall and Kerr has taken over from Scally.

It’s not just the fans that will be annoyed. The players might be as well. One of the conditions for any new manager has to be Stewart kept on as a coach. I’d be happier if Kerr reverted back to just focusing on playing and that would allow the new manager to bring in someone he wants.

My view is pretty similar tbh.

Kerr needs to focus on playing, with Murdoch injured, we need him more than was planned on the pitch. 

I would hope Sandy will remain on the coaching staff no matter the outcome.

I heard today that Kenny Sheils is coming to Ayr in a coaching capacity - which is exactly the role he is good at.  

Would be bizarre considering he’s not had a coaching job since he became Killie manager.

Unless this is a wind up?