Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You can add me to this also. He’s a brilliant coach and very popular with the players so I would definitely want him to stay as a coach however he hasn’t managed for years  so would be very reluctant to give him the managerial job. 

With interviews due to start hopefully we’ll get some names next week. If John Robertson has applied (highly doubtful) then he should get the job. Best manager in the championship imo. 

Agree with your Robertson suggestion 

3 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Nobody is saying Klopp style messiah , tell me who on the list do you want as manager ? They are out of a job for one reason and one reason only they are not good enough , most fans just want Stewart to stay for the continuity, if he does not get the job will he want to stay on as coach ? Most managers want their own man in , so hope whoever gets it wants to play our style of football , if not we could have a real struggle 

Maybe he could get his big pal Owen Coyle in and be a double act again...

There would still be continuity there if he is staying on as coach and Cameron should state that to the ones he’s interviewing that he can bring in an assistant but Sandy should stay on in a coaching role. It’s not that strange, the other Ayrshire side kept Dyer but brought in a new manager/assistant. 

6 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Nobody is saying Klopp style messiah , tell me who on the list do you want as manager ? They are out of a job for one reason and one reason only they are not good enough , most fans just want Stewart to stay for the continuity, if he does not get the job will he want to stay on as coach ? Most managers want their own man in , so hope whoever gets it wants to play our style of football , if not we could have a real struggle 

Think it’s a knee jerk reaction to be honest after the shock of McCall walking away so quickly.  The “continuity” argument comes up a lot as well but I personally think it’s over-egged.  Our management team for the past 4 or 5 years has walked away so change is going to be inevitable whatever happens.   Appointing Stewart on the basis that everything will just stay the same is flawed thinking.  In any case, there are plenty of examples of outstanding coaches that perhaps weren’t the right choice as manager.  Dale Roberts and Iain Munro are 2 that I can think of in the recent history of our club alone.

But as I say, I’m not opposed to him getting the job as such, but since no one knows who has applied, it’s difficult to form a judgement on who might be better.  Perhaps Owen Coyle wouldn’t be the worst idea as it would allow Stewart to stay on given their past relationship (which I can only assume is still good).   Criticising Coyle’s recent record rings hollow given that Stewart was his right hand man through those times.  

It’s also worth remembering that Ian McCall was extremely damaged goods when we took a punt on him 5 years ago, so perhaps we should all be more open minded on some of the options available - not Lee McCulloch, John Hughes or Neil McCann though!

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

They are out of a job for one reason and one reason only they are not good enough.

Not exactly true though is it. Every manager will have an element of failure on their CV at some time in their career.

Just because it didn't work at one club shouldn't mean they're seen as unable to be a success at another.

The qualities of the people who've applied for the job will ultimately  determine the success of the club in the short term and its general direction in the medium to long term.

The interview process  has got to be a two way thing, the potential new manager will undoubtedly have his own ideas for the playing style on a Saturday but should also have his own ideas about training, recruitment, scouting, sports science, analytics and every other element that goes into making a successful professional modern day football club. 

Likewise the board should by now have a clear vision of not only what has worked so well in the McCall era that has seen us punching well above our weight, but equally if not more important, what our weaknesses were as a club over the same time and what in hindsight needed improving / tweaking.

I hope they get the right appointment but fear it could be a bland, predictable and cost effective option.

Every arrival, player or manager carries an element of risk, this one has to work to try and continue on our upward  trajectory.

Edited by BukyOHare

Changed my mind about SS getting the job after yesterday defo feel he should stay on as first team coach tho, the game was crying out for a change long before the 76th min when Doolan came on the front 3 were getting bullied maybe Doolan or Craig Moore coming on to change things up around the 60 min mark could have made a difference and maybe that's why SS has not been a manager for years.

Lot of Captain Hindsights on here. Don’t think any manager could have anticipated every single one of our forwards putting their shooting boots on the wrong feet yesterday.
Had Moffat & Forrest scores their early chances think we’d have won that at a canter.

15 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Lot of Captain Hindsights on here. Don’t think any manager could have anticipated every single one of our forwards putting their shooting boots on the wrong feet yesterday.
Had Moffat & Forrest scores their early chances think we’d have won that at a canter.

I think thats the nub of it for me. We actually played well yesterday creating 4/5 clear chances and every forward missed a 1 on 1 or a sitter.

For me, if its not Sandy it needs to be someone who buys into the style and has a track record of rebuilding every season as thats the reality of where we are.

16 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

At the end of the day whoever is appointed will get my full backing.

Unless it’s Martin Canning.

I must admit I don't really get the Martin Canning dislike which I have seen from a good number of people (Hamilton Accies fans included). While he wouldn't be my first choice he did continually keep Hamilton in the premiership on probably the lowest budget.