Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

36 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

He was with you for five years fs! What more do you want? He wasn’t going to stay at AU forever constantly losing his best players and having his budget reduced. Five years is a good return for the chance you gave him.

22 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

What more do you want from the man, we've fired folk on the buroo at the drop of a hat before, loyalty goes both ways and only ever goes so far, I've no doubt that he was genuine in his utterances about Lachlan and Ayr for the vast majority of his tenure, Unfortunately the situation at Partick and his new found ambition have fallen at the same time.

I'm just hoping his new found ambition isn't the 1st signs of his demons returning, can't ever take them for granted.

Good post, a crown of thorns and a good flogging won't be enough for some.

Of course I wasn’t expecting him to stay forever. In regards to the loyalty thing it was more about how he went about it. Someone on another thread said McCall knew he was leaving last Tue, yet a few days later he was saying he was torn over the situation. Bullshit like that grates

Edited by Thereisalight..

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Of course I wasn’t expecting him to stay forever. In regards to the loyalty thing it was more about how he went about it. Someone on another thread said he McCall knew he wasn’t leaving last Tue, yet a few days later he was saying he was torn over the situation. Bullshit like that grates

Look at it from his point of view, he would no doubt prefer not to burn all his bridges, everyone does similar rather than hurt people's feelings, it's unfortunate that our best manager since I was a lad has seemingly left some I'll feeling behind.

I'm more disappointed in Britton and Co, leaking it in the manner they did to deflect away from their dismal performance on Saturday is a bit shite and very unprofessional.

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Look at it from his point of view, he would no doubt prefer not to burn all his bridges, everyone does similar rather than hurt people's feelings, it's unfortunate that our best manager since I was a lad has seemingly left some I'll feeling behind.

I'm more disappointed in Britton and Co, leaking it in the manner they did to deflect away from their dismal performance on Saturday is a bit shite and very unprofessional.

It just makes me wonder if he was 100% focused on us whilst Caldwell was combusting. Was he casting an eye Firhill way and hoping they’d need a new manager imminently? 

I agree on your second point. The fact the Daily Record and Raman from STV we’re tweeting about his appointment before both clubs did left a bad taste 

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

All McCall needed to do was say look Partick are a bigger club, have a higher profile for attracting players have better facilities are going to have a bigger budget plus I really love the club (unfortunate all of those statements are true) this might be my last chance at a club like Partick thanks for the memories but I'm off and we would have been disappointed but would understand, what's pissing off folk is the really underhand nature that is now comming out of the woodwork, we stood by McCall when we went down without a whimper a few seasons ago when a lot of fans wanted him sacked but the comments of the last few years about I owe Cameron this will my last job etc have killed for a lot of supporters the feeling he was our best manager since Ally

Thistle fans like to think it's the love of Thistle that won. But I think the reality is it's the attraction of the West End. A job that is close to his home and his part time consultancy job. It's what every 50 something wants.

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It just makes me wonder if he was 100% focused on us whilst Caldwell was combusting. Was he casting an eye Firhill way and hoping they’d need a new manager imminently? 

I agree on your second point. The fact the Daily Record and Raman from STV we’re tweeting about his appointment before both clubs did left a bad taste 

He did a pretty good job in those last few weeks if he only had one eye on the ball. 

5 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I've no doubt that he was casting an eye to the Partick situation, he's only human.

I can totally understand how he felt after last season, I was gutted at our lack of extra budget mid season, we were clearly the only challengers to County last season until we could only bolster our squad with players of a lesser quality than we required, the same is happening this season, we've got a team that if added to correctly could take us to the top tier, ain't going to happen sadly.

I don't blame Lachlan for that, I'm all for spending what we can afford but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Edited by ayrmad

With regards to the timing, it wouldn't surprise me if McCall and Thistle spoke the previous weekend at Doolan's testimonial game. A couple of days later, Caldwell is punted and then we hear McCall is considering the job and he has got 2 assistants already lined up to start with him.

2 minutes ago, Chief1 said:

With regards to the timing, it wouldn't surprise me if McCall and Thistle spoke the previous weekend at Doolan's testimonial game. A couple of days later, Caldwell is punted and then we hear McCall is considering the job and he has got 2 assistants already lined up to start with him.

These things shouldn't be posted here, Ayr don't need to convince anyone that they were a wee bit hard done to