Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

4 minutes ago, Kitty_Boy said:

The context was we had pumped Dundee United the previous week; he was just trying to manage expectations. 

But who was the comment aimed at ?

I don't recall ANY Ayr fans expecting an easy match and a definite 3 points against Alloa, in fact quite the opposite.

The comments coming from our fans prior to the match was that Alloa were always a well organised and pretty decent outfit and from what I remember many of us on here were commenting that we'd have happily taken a draw before the game (similar to comments made prior to Arbroath away this week).

Just now, rb123! said:

So who's getting the inflatable snakes ordered for the 2nd November?

Can we not just borrow them from our friends in Greenock ?

Maybe like a short term loan deal ???

30 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
1 hour ago, rb123! said:
So who's getting the inflatable snakes ordered for the 2nd November?

Hes done a great job with little budget . move on and grow a pair . welcome him with open arms . look were you where when he join yous

I was joking, although i am a bit annoyed with how the whole situation seemingly arose i am more than aware of the great job he done for this club over the last five years and has laid great foundations for the club to build upon if we somehow found ourselves under new ownership in the near future (which looks unlikely).

This thread is starting to seem a bit tinfoil-hat-like.

There's no giant conspiracy, it's just quite straightforward. Yes conversations might have taken place but he's done absolutely everything right by us this season (signing the best players he can, pushing us on as much as possible).

He's always had a very close connection with Partick Thistle and they're a potentially bigger club with bigger budgets.

He probably thinks (and might well be right) that he's done pretty much all he can with Ayr and so leaving at this time looks good on his CV. In the same context taking over Thistle whilst they're at the bottom is perfect timing.

22 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Heard from a decent source today that Tommy Sloan is applying for the Ayr job. Undoubtedly a very good manager, speaking to a committee member at another junior club, he said he is the most prepared, analytical  coach you'll ever meet. 

Still a massive gamble but if you were going to get a manager from the juniors, you'd want undoubtedly want the best (ever) one.*

*this is in no way an endorsement of Tommy Sloans appointment as manager of Ayr United Football Club now or at any time in the future. 

Wondering if he has applied before for the Ayr job or any other senior position that has been vacant? Obviously there is a link with Jim Kirkwood now to the junior game. Not sure he would waste time doing this unless he could get far in the process. Can’t help but think the new manager will be a cost effective option

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

Wondering if he has applied before for the Ayr job or any other senior position that has been vacant? Obviously there is a link with Jim Kirkwood now to the junior game. Not sure he would waste time doing this unless he could get far in the process. Can’t help but think the new manager will be a cost effective option

We're is a fantastic position in that we don't need to throw money at it , which is good because every penny is a prisoner . We have all the guy's we need in house and the team is flying on the field . For us getting into the top four and subsequently  the serious prize money is a real possibility . We may need bodies in at Christmas to plug some holes and allow us to stay in the top four and any funds saved while recruiting the management team can be used to that end .

5 minutes ago, railwayend said:

We're is a fantastic position in that we don't need to throw money at it , which is good because every penny is a prisoner . We have all the guy's we need in house and the team is flying on the field . For us getting into the top four and subsequently  the serious prize money is a real possibility . We may need bodies in at Christmas to plug some holes and allow us to stay in the top four and any funds saved while recruiting the management team can be used to that end .

I suppose time will tell if McCall was the glue that kept this team together or just another bit part. Having four players on a subs bench is never a fantastic position and we have also just lost a manager that was taking us places. I would say our future is far from certain but I hope it all falls into place like you suggest 

This thread is starting to seem a bit tinfoil-hat-like.

There's no giant conspiracy, it's just quite straightforward. Yes conversations might have taken place but he's done absolutely everything right by us this season (signing the best players he can, pushing us on as much as possible).

He's always had a very close connection with Partick Thistle and they're a potentially bigger club with bigger budgets.

He probably thinks (and might well be right) that he's done pretty much all he can with Ayr and so leaving at this time looks good on his CV. In the same context taking over Thistle whilst they're at the bottom is perfect timing.

I think conspiracy is too strong a word but I think there’s certainly an element of premeditation in the whole saga. Only McCall can clarify when he knew he would make for the door and whether he actively campaigned to manufacture the opportunity.

I agree, his professionalism and desire to improve our club never wavered but his head was certainly turned in another direction.

I have it first hand that scouting future opposition wasn't something that McCall was particularly interested in. This intrigues me and frightens me in equal measures. Why would the manager of our team think this wasn't relevant or of interest?

Beginning to come round to the thinking that he wasn't the glue we thought he was.

Saturday is a huge match in the short term direction of our club. Win it and nothings changed, lose it badly and the heads might drop. The result, for this one match is far more important than the performance I'd say.

Edited by BukyOHare

I have it first hand that scouting future opposition wasn't something that McCall was particularly interested in. This intrigues me and frightens me in equal measures. Why would the manager of our team think this wasn't relevant or of interest?
Beginning to come round to the thinking that he wasn't the glue we thought he was.
Saturday is a huge match in the short term direction of our club. Win it and nothings changed, lose it badly and the heads might drop. The result, for this one match is far more important than the performance I'd say.

Why would the knives be out?

13 minutes ago, rb123! said:

We ain't ever going to get Jack Ross end of, he'll be on a couple of grand a week at Sunderland probably.

Jack Ross spend the money they got for players, including 300k for Lewis Morgan on a whole new team in January and still only scraped survival and won the championship which was wide open all year and a newly promoted Livingston went up through the play-offs. 

A bit of perspective on the managerial ability of Jack Ross. 

Yeah I have also been told from a family member of a under 18/reserve squad player that McCall took very little to do with first team training, apparently sits in his car at training sessions and takes nothing to do with any of the players out with the first team squad, to put in perspective this boy was with Killie under 10s when Shields was the manager and he would come to their training and encourage the kids, if all this is true the question is what did McCall do with the players was he the motivater maybe.