Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

McIntyre would be a disaster. Would seem a massive miss match between his style and the way Ayr play.
In Dundee style, he'll do really well. Regardless of any logic IMO.

What I'd say though is that whilst he should have done better than he did, the Dundee job was absolutely horrific at the time he got it. A year or so before, any manager coming in would have maybe been arriving at a side who had immediate troubles but could look back a few months to see a bit of form where we'd grinded out a few results. He didn't have that luxury and the squad he inherited relied on many players who would be questionable a league down. That McCann side was nowhere near getting a result or two and going on a run, it was Championship relegation material.

He had to reset and do something in January but got the balance wrong and seemed insane at forcing out Kamara so happily (tbf, with the support) who brought the other midfielders up a level or two. If he held on against Hamilton and maybe Celtic, he may have shitfested us through to the summer and got another chance.

Going somewhere like Ayr though, he's inheriting a good team at this level who have a demonstrable way of playing so I'd be surprised if he felt the need to approach it in the same way. Maybe not too dissimilar to Yogi going in to Inverness who already had an established style and niche of player that he didn't need to do too much to.

I think with what Ayr have right now, any manager they bring in shouldn't be coming in to rock the boat, regardless of who it is.

What? 

McIntyre literally come in at Dens and chucked players to replace them with worse. 

It has nothing to do with how bad Dundee's squad was/might have been - he made it worse. Signed absolute shite and those that weren't just shite were his mates and were shite. 

As many, many people pointed out before he was appointed. He's an absolute charlatan of the management game. The longer he is out of work the better it will be football in general. 

1 hour ago, RiG said:

It fell apart for Hughes at ICT when he had to start bringing his own players and he failed miserably. 

A proven success (relatively) in the recruitment of new players for me has to be the most important factor in identifying a new boss. Whether that be with links to SPL clubs to be trusted with their better young players on loan or identifying players from the lower leagues with a general upside has to also be paramount.

Day to day coaching can generally take care of itself, especially if you have the likes of Sandy Stewart and experienced pros like Kerr, Geggan and Bell in the background.

52 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Given we pretty much need to rebuild every summer, Yogi would be a dreadful decision we can ill afford.

8 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

A proven success (relatively) in the recruitment of new players for me has to be the most important factor in identifying a new boss. Whether that be with links to SPL clubs to be trusted with their better young players on loan or identifying players from the lower leagues with a general upside has to also be paramount.

Day to day coaching can generally take care of itself, especially if you have the likes of Sandy Stewart and experienced pros like Kerr, Geggan and Bell in the background.

I did say might :lol: 

If pretty substantial rebuilds are something you need to do each season then Hughes probably isn't your man. Certainly not from his time at ICT. I struggle to think of a player who he identified that really benefited the time. As a coach he's excellent but in the transfer market he's suspect.

Edited by RiG

What? 
McIntyre literally come in at Dens and chucked players to replace them with worse. 
It has nothing to do with how bad Dundee's squad was/might have been - he made it worse. Signed absolute shite and those that weren't just shite were his mates and were shite. 
As many, many people pointed out before he was appointed. He's an absolute charlatan of the management game. The longer he is out of work the better it will be football in general. 
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing he displayed that he was competent in any way (especially re the Kamara thing, I'd say that was his worst f**k up not trying harder to keep him for a few months), I just think he had the hardest scenario to enter of any Dundee manager I remember where we absolutely depended on January additions to get out of the shite in a way that I don't think we've had to before. The idea that McCann or anyone else would have likely made a few tweaks with what we had and secured a good enough points total just appears to me to be utterly mental tbh.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be overly surprised if he did repair his reputation and do OK elsewhere. It's not unprecedented for managers in Scottish Football to have a total disaster somewhere but get their name back into the frame somewhere else and you'd think he wouldn't be entering that sort of scenario again, especially if he got quite fortunate and ended up with a side like Ayr who look decent to stroll mid table.

12 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:
12 hours ago, CALDERON said:
Yogi has a decent track record, but it cannot be emphasised enough what an absolute moron he was with us. 

Maybe I look at that time through rose tinted glasses but I always thought that back 4 of Robertson, Yogi, Craig and Lovering was excellent but that's a few times now I've see Yogi's name linked with being an arse at the time.

12 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I loved that back four.

Yogi was a bombscare for us. Duffy, Craig and Campbell were all far superior. I really dont fancy him managing us either.

Without having a dig, what logic are you using when you've came to the conclusion that Peter Murphy would be a decent option but Stevie Farrell wouldn't?

For the last 2 seasons he’s consistently overachieved with Annan and looks to doing so again this season despite having to do a rebuilding job every summer. When he joined Annan his best players had left for Jim Chapmans Clyde and in fact in the summer just there his best players have left to go to Danny Lennons Clyde.

In truth I think Farrell deserves credit for managing Stranraer through a financial crisis but he never really jumped out as a potential candidate.

I’d be lying if being an ex Ayr player didn’t swing it for me with Murphy but at least he’ll have a bit of credit in the bank with the supporters. I’d be happy with a younger, up and coming manager with Stewart and the new coach behind him.

Apparently the jobs Chris Strains if he wants it thanks to Jim Kirkwood. No joke.

He’ll still have to go through interviews like everyone else.

Kirkwood will probably get his foot in the door but he won’t be appointed.