East Fife v Dumbarton

Bit of a gutter not to get the 3 points on Saturday given the flow of the game. We seemed in charge the first half and somehow went in 1-0 down. Not sure who lost their man at the corner but looked like a really good header. Our penalty shout looked reasonable so was surprised it wasn't given. I was waiting on a bovril and missed the Dumbarton penalty, so no comments on that. Second half we were clearly the better team, dominating possession  throughout and making a few decent chances. Thought the penalty was the weakest shout of the lot, but I couldn't really see the "foul" on Wallace that wasn't given.

I think the key concern for me would be how we can look so in control of a match and still lose two goals. It took a very good save from Hart to stop Dumbarton from getting a third towards the end of the second half, though it seemed like we were throwing bodies forward at that point. Speaking of which, I've been a critic of Hart, he didn't put a foot wrong yesterday, the goals he conceded were in no way his fault. 

Midfield to front I think we look dangerous no matter who we're playing which is why I think we'll have a great season. Boyd looked very capable when he came on. Despite the goals, I thought we actually looked not that bad at the back. I'm happy with our side, and in games like Saturday I can't ask any more of the players. 

As an aside, I do think the ref had a bit of a shocker for us, but not to pull out a classic trope, every team will have that this season so hopefully it evens out. Lino fans were of the opinion the ref had a shocker for them in the 4-2 game, so swings and roundabouts I suppose. 

11 hours ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

Yesterday game I thought we could of won it and could of lost it as we were 1-0 down at HT break then somehow a penalty was given for the visitors made it two but we done well to come back and Nick a point against a side that's had us in the living room wall. Least a point is better losing four zero last season shenanigans home and away.

MOTM had to be the poor official yesterday. Should of least had two instead one yesterday even though we were denied all three in the first half before he actually gave us one for the equaliser but I take a point given we gave two goals away.

This is AFTER you edited it?

Remember that agreement we had that we would try to do this in English.

40 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Wild that the linesman judged the Dunsmore one to be a dive. Absolutely wild.

I was a wee bit surprised at the East Fife complaints for our penalty at the time, and I stand by that now. It was as much of a stonewaller as you'll see.

Laughing and joking aside, I genuinely think the only big call the ref got wrong there was the Dunsmore one. 

And perhaps I'm too harsh on keepers, but Brennan has to be doing better with that first goal (as does Carswell in tracking his man). Brennan seems to have this awful habit of diving for shots behind his goal line, done the same thing at Links Park.

Very harsh for Dunsmore to get a booking as there was clearly contact and he certainly isn’t the type of player to go over easily.

Looked a very open game with both teams having chances to win it. The space given to McGeever for that header was poor, considering he had a free header just moments before. He is a big lump though and we don’t have anyone to match his size and presence.

Judging by the highlights a point each was probably a fair result and Dumbarton certainly don’t look as poor as their summer signings suggest.

I'm still jot sure about the first one. Harsh to book him for diving but I still feel it was a soft one, seen them given but for me it wasn't a stone waller. Conveniently, never seen our penalty claim for handball in the first half which I would have liked to.

I'd say the one with Wallace is never a pen either. I actually think he stands on the ball and falls over it... bit harsh of the ref to give a foul against him though.

The 2 that were given were stone wallers and the ref got them right. Very good match for a neutral and overall about fair in my opinion.

Dunsy should definitely have been given a penalty. Even if the referee considered it not to be a penalty, there was no way it was a dive and deserved a booking. The Wallace has me for me was less clear cut as he seems to stand on the ball as he is pulled back but how the referee saw fit to award a free kick to Dumbarton is beyond me. If he is saying it was a dive then Wallace should have been booked.
The one where Murdoch jumped to header from the corner and was taken out is ridiculous.
The Dumbarton penalty was the correct decision. The incompetency of the Referee and the stand side assistant was absolutely incredible. I hope they watch the highlights and realise what an absolute shocker they had. They probably thought they did very well !!!!

I didn’t make comment about the murdoch one as even at the time I didn’t think it was close.

waldo stood on the ball and when he fell the Dumbarton player fell over him hence the ref gave a foul to Dumbarton. No suggestion he dived 

are we all sure dunsmore didn’t throw himself even if he was pushed s bit???

14 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was a wee bit surprised at the East Fife complaints for our penalty at the time, and I stand by that now. It was as much of a stonewaller as you'll see.

The penalty discussions above are an absolute classic example of fan bias regarding decisions, and I'm about to provide a slice myself. I think the foul for the Dumbarton penalty, it looks like a really clumsy challenge, but I'm not convinced it can be branded a stonewaller. It looks to me like he actually gets the ball first! Note as above, I was getting a bovril when it happened, so haven't seen it live at the game. 

12 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

are we all sure dunsmore didn’t throw himself even if he was pushed s bit???

Quitongo steps his left leg across Dunsmore's right and doesn't get anything on the ball. It's a penalty all day for me. 

EDIT - Hats off to the East Fife media team btw, that is a superb match highlights package you have there.

Edited by The Moonster

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately I didn't switch the town end Gopro on properly hence no footage from behind the goal in the second half. Have had words with myself but haven't plucked up the courage to answer back yet!!

FWIW I don't think the Dumbarton penalty is a stonewaller but at the same time I can see why he gave it. The ball was Irish (Rick O'Shaying) about & he did go over Higgy's knee. If these things even out over the season we can look forward to a few penalties as the season progresses!

46 minutes ago, LiamA said:

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately I didn't switch the town end Gopro on properly hence no footage from behind the goal in the second half. Have had words with myself but haven't plucked up the courage to answer back yet!!

FWIW I don't think the Dumbarton penalty is a stonewaller but at the same time I can see why he gave it. The ball was Irish (Rick O'Shaying) about & he did go over Higgy's knee. If these things even out over the season we can look forward to a few penalties as the season progresses!

I've just put two and two together and worked out that I met you on Saturday 🤣

For what it's worth, Dusmore, penalty.

Murdochn no,

Wallace, no.

Would've liked to have seen an incident straight after the Murdoch shout, I was sure at the time it came off a raised arm, although it was hit at the player from about a yard, I thought the new rule meant if your arm was up, it was a foul. We got a  corner for it. That and when one of the Dumbarton players saw he was about to be substituted, he sat down to prevent us taking a quick throw, when we were in the ascendancy, suppose it was revenge for last seasons 'foul on the ballboy' incident.  Anyway. we're still unbeaten, we move on. Credit to Jim Duffy for managing to build that team at short notice. A lot of posters on here were tipping then for the drop, I think they'll be safe. 

Credit to Jim Duffy for managing to build that team at short notice. A lot of posters on here were tipping then for the drop, I think they'll be safe. 

There was nothing short notice about it. He was with us last season and had the same amount of time as every other manager.

We were all very worried when we seen the supposed quality of players he was signing up. There are still a few players in the squad that really shouldn't be playing at this level, but for the most part, the team are proving us wrong after the first handful of games.

On 23/09/2019 at 18:47, Jan Vojáček said:

From the part of the game video showing you the angle the lino had it looks to me as if Quitongo actually got the ball. Whether before or after he got the man I can't tell.  It certainly looked a pen at the time from up in the away end but I'm not convinced now. Whatever, it wasn't a dive.

The other  two that were given definitely were penalties.