Queens v Dundee

4 minutes ago, srw said:

When was the last time we won in Dumfries? It seems to be the Championship version of Pittodrie for us.

We actually won our last game there league-wise, 1-0 in 2014. From the h2h I read we had a largely good record in our last couple of seasons in the Championship vs them. The time between that and the SC replay last season do hide that fact a bit.

48 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

We actually won our last game there league-wise, 1-0 in 2014. From the h2h I read we had a largely good record in our last couple of seasons in the Championship vs them. The time between that and the SC replay last season do hide that fact a bit.

Fair enough, thanks.

Must be me then, Id have guessed we hardly ever won down there in Englandshire.

For a while, we had  a decent record against Dundee in Dumfries.

Even then though, it was never as stark a picture as was made out.  Dundee generally finished well above us at the time, so we weren't usually favourites to win.  I think that meant that when we did win reasonably frequently, the bogey team thing got exaggerated.

I certainly can't see us getting a win on Friday.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For a while, we had  a decent record against Dundee in Dumfries.

Even then though, it was never as stark a picture as was made out.  Dundee generally finished well above us at the time, so we weren't usually favourites to win.  I think that meant that when we did win reasonably frequently, the bogey team thing got exaggerated.

I certainly can't see us getting a win on Saturday.

It has in recent years been a very polarised record. Our record at Dens has been appalling. We didn't share a division all that often but we won only twice at Dens in our first 86 years before Gary Wood's long range goal clinched a 3-2 win in February 2006. We won again in 2008 and again in 2009, with all three games being 3-2. We haven't won there since though (we should have won in the Cup last year). 5 wins in 100 years, 1937 and 1977 being the other two.

At Palmerston however, our record is decent, and probably better than it should be, even at home, considering we've been a much smaller club than Dundee all that time. We played them only once between 1978 and 2006, a League Cup tie we won on penalties in 1990. But since 2006 Dundee have been here 19 times, three Scottish Cup ties and 16 League games. We won all three Scottish Cup ties, one infamously taking us to Hampden. The 16 League games have seen 7 Queens wins, 5 draws and 4 Dundee wins. Or to put it another way, we've won 11 and drawn 5 of our last 20 meetings here. Dundee have only won those four. They did win their last League trip here though 1-0 thanks to Ryan Conroy's penalty. They won 2-1 in their 'Great Escape' season too.  Game before the Conroy one was a 4-3 win for us on the opening day of the 13/14 season when we led 4-1 late on and almost chucked it away.

For what it's worth, Stephen Dobbie has 10 career goals v Dundee, meaning they are 5th on his 'Victims List' behind Falkirk and Clyde (14), Montrose (13) and Partick Thistle (12). All 10 came when playing for Queens so they are 3rd on his list whilst playing for Queens (all 14 against Clyde and Falkirk came playing for us too). More on Friday night please!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It has in recent years been a very polarised record. Our record at Dens was appalling for years. We didn't share a division all that often but we won only twice at Dens in our first 86 years before Gary Wood's long range goal clinched a 3-2 win in February 2006. We won again in 2008 and again in 2009, with all three games being 3-2. We haven't won there since though (we should have won in the Cup last year). 5 wins in 100 years, 1937 and 1977 being the other two.

At Palmerston however, our record is decent, and probably better than it should be, even at home, considering we've been a much smaller club than Dundee all that time. We played them only once between 1978 and 2006, a League Cup tie we won on penalties in 1990. But since 2006 Dundee have been here 19 times, three Scottish Cup ties and 16 League games. We won all three Scottish Cup ties, one infamously taking us to Hampden. The 16 League games have seen 7 Queens wins, 5 draws and 4 Dundee wins. They did win their last League trip here 1-0 thanks to Ryan Conroy's penalty. They won 2-1 in their 'Great Escape' season too.  Game before the Conroy one was a 4-3 win for us on the opening day of the 13/14 season when we led 4-1 late on and almost chucked it away.

For what it's worth, Stephen Dobbie has 10 career goals v Dundee, meaning they are 5th on his 'Victims List' behind Falkirk and Clyde (14), Montrose (13) and Partick Thistle (12). More on Friday night please!

Good post.

Why "infamously" though?

5 hours ago, Yenitit said:

4-3-1-2 McPake get it sorted 😡 (tbf it’s about the only formation we’ve not tried this season)

Hamilton

McGhee, Forster, Meekings, Marshall. 

Byrne, Robertson, Ness   

Dorrans 

Hemmings, Nelson 

Would like to see that back four, think Cammy needs a bit of a break.

47 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Would like to see that back four, think Cammy needs a bit of a break.

The lack of mobility in that CH duo scares me though tbh. Shows how much we need cover for there if we intend to stick McGhee on at RB.

6 hours ago, Yenitit said:

4-3-1-2 McPake get it sorted 😡 (tbf it’s about the only formation we’ve not tried this season)

Hamilton

McGhee, Forster, Meekings, Marshall. 

Byrne, Robertson, Ness   

Dorrans 

Hemmings, Nelson 

See with that line up and formation we would deal with things down the wings because mcghee and Marshall are good fullbacks but elbak would RIP meekings and Forster for pace thru the middle. It's kind of a catch 22

See with that line up and formation we would deal with things down the wings because mcghee and Marshall are good fullbacks but elbak would RIP meekings and Forster for pace thru the middle. It's kind of a catch 22
He may well be LM tbh. I think that's where he played on Saturday and he played there the week before.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The lack of mobility in that CH duo scares me though tbh. Shows how much we need cover for there if we intend to stick McGhee on at RB.

According to McGhee that's his preferred position.

On 24/09/2019 at 16:22, srw said:

Must be me then, Id have guessed we hardly ever won down there in Englandshire.

That patter is rotten, just like your lingo up there

Edited by ALOREBURNE
Making it easier for SRW to understand

1 hour ago, Juantwothree said:

Cammy’s been at fault for a few goals recently between losing headers at set pieces to giving away stupid free kicks that ultimately lead to another goal against and at some point has to lose his place in the side for those reasons. The 2 centrehalfs are the best of what we have if McGhee was to move to fullback. My only real worry with that side is the keeper tbh.