Thomas Cook getting sevco'd

Romeo

9 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Wow! Straight to a compulsory liquidation is much worse than Sevco! Didn't expect such a disastrous collapse. 

The problems must have been much more serious than previously thought. We will have to wait for further announcements and explanations. There may be official investigations.

Who would pay money up front with a travel agent in administration? You would need your head examined.

Holiday Extras have emailed anyone who has a TC flight with one of their extras eg hotel, car parking. It might be possible to amend bookings or get a partial refund. Didn't help me as I'm looking to book from Manchester but also include hotel - means I had to cancel booking - cancellation fee was only £10.50 - so not the end of the world.

Able to use the same insurance as well as it was single trip to a range of destinations - still the same dates - don't need to notify them I'm going yo Crete as it is covered within the policy. I have emailed though just to confirm.

17 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

No idea why you would be panicking if you are on holiday and the tour company goes bust unlless for medical reasons etc. More time on holiday and a solid reason for not showing up at work.

Was in Gdansk for a few days when my flight back was cancelled due to fog, and was put up in a much more expensive hotel than I'd been staying in. It was beautiful weather apart from that temporary fog, and it was 5 days till the next flight, all paid for. Thought I had to get back to relieve arranged cover, only to be told it wouldn't have been a problem and I was an idiot for not staying after arranging an early flight. :shutup

2 hours ago, sparky88 said:

No idea why you would be panicking if you are on holiday and the tour company goes bust unlless for medical reasons etc. More time on holiday and a solid reason for not showing up at work.

Surely because you're at risk of being turfed out of accommodation if you're on a package. 

Hotels are under no obligation to honour a booking they will never be paid for. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, it's called chargeback. Some info here. Hadn't heard of it before.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Speak to your bank. There is some level of compensation for people paying with Debit cards, I got money back for goods that a company took the money for but never sent. I don't know the full terms of what they cover though. 

I phoned them today and they are looking into it for me.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, it's called chargeback. Some info here. Hadn't heard of it before.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/

This is really bad, I used to work in a Bacs department and dealt with people claiming chargebacks for some clients. Totally didn’t enter my mind to even go for one.

The in-laws came home from Zakynthos yesterday on a Miami Air International plane. Said it was all pretty well organised, but due to different plane sizes from what was supposed to be there, some folk had to be flown to different airports, it was just pot luck if you were one of them. Only inconvenience to the in-laws was they were an hour late getting home.

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Surely because you're at risk of being turfed out of accommodation if you're on a package. 

I don’t understand why hotels would not be paid in full by the time a holiday starts.  Just about all package holidays need to be paid in full 8 weeks prior to the start date.  That’s plenty of time for the holiday company to pay the hotel for accommodation.

Therefore it seems crazy that hotels are extending credit to holiday companies.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t understand why hotels would not be paid in full by the time a holiday starts.  Just about all package holidays need to be paid in full 8 weeks prior to the start date.  That’s plenty of time for the holiday company to pay the hotel for accommodation.

Therefore it seems crazy that hotels are extending credit to holiday companies.

Some contracts stipulate that the Tour Op will pay 30 days after the holiday, some are 60 days.

Standard procedure.

The Tour Op then gets 12 to 16 weeks interest on the money before passing it on.

Obviously it will vary wildly from hotel to hotel, but the one the in-laws were staying in in Kalamaki put a post on their Facebook page yesterday stating that they would definitely not be charging any Thomas Cook customers directly for their stay. It's not a big hotel and they have a lot of repeat customers, they will still be wanting them to come back next year after they switch to using another tour operator. They probably make more money at the bar from the guests than they do from the room rates tbh. I can appreciate that level of goodwill won't happen everywhere though.

Some contracts stipulate that the Tour Op will pay 30 days after the holiday, some are 60 days.
Standard procedure.
The Tour Op then gets 12 to 16 weeks interest on the money before passing it on.
And it's also the tour operator who keeps your cash if you have to cancel late.

29 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

They probably make more money at the bar from the guests than they do from the room rates tbh.

Those people in Tunisia who had bother were probably on all inclusive. That would be a bitch for the hotel.

Guy on bbc saying he “had” to pay £6k for new flights to NYC in January.

No, you’ve chosen to pay it. You’re choice fork out stupid money rather than claim back what you can through appropriate channels then look to rebook at later date when chaos passes and market settles.

Not like its next week.

20 hours ago, Rowan said:

Guy on bbc saying he “had” to pay £6k for new flights to NYC in January.

No, you’ve chosen to pay it. You’re choice fork out stupid money rather than claim back what you can through appropriate channels then look to rebook at later date when chaos passes and market settles.

Not like its next week.

It's unbelievable how naive some folk are about buying flights/holidays - hence Thomas Cook didn't go out of business years ago.  Six grand on flights to New York in January can only be business or first class, anyway.  

I think some of these people are just desperate to be on the telly. The guy with the 6k flights to New York? There are flights on BA website at 550 return, pretty standard price I'd say, unless that guy is taking 12 people he is talking pish.

Also seen a woman crying in palma airport cause she has had to wait 9 hours and her 3o year old son wont eat any of the food in the Airport! 

24 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It's unbelievable how naive some folk are about buying flights/holidays - hence Thomas Cook didn't go out of business years ago.  Six grand on flights to New York in January can only be business or first class, anyway.  

Rowan got the story slightly wrong, the flights were booked in January for flying next month. It sounds like he's expecting ATOL to cover the fare increase, which I doubt very much.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49805534