Thomas Cook getting sevco'd

Romeo

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Four million people travelled with Thomas Cook last year, the idea that because they have collapsed then four million less people will go on holiday is nonsense.

I didn't say that. I was highlighting that the Thomas Cook's slots will be sold off to the highest bidder, not necessarily to other holiday airlines.

You must be pissed on the crap cava in Lanzarote. Do everyone a favour and stay there.

10 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I didn't say that. I was highlighting that the Thomas Cook's slots will be sold off to the highest bidder, not necessarily to other holiday airlines.

You must be pissed on the crap cava in Lanzarote. Do everyone a favour and stay there.

Yeah because there’s going to be an upsurge for slots because a holiday airline has went bust.

The worst hit by this will probably be small hotels who already had their margins screwed to the limit by Thomas Cook and now likely won't get paid at all. I'd imagine big hotels have insurance for this kind of thing.
My in-laws have used the same hotel in Kalamaki many times over the last 20 odd years. It has about 40 rooms, and having stayed in it a couple of times myself I would reckon 60-70% of their customers are Thomas Cook bookings. A few other hotels they have stayed in will be the same.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah because there’s going to be an upsurge for slots because a holiday airline has went bust.

Yes because the big airports in Europe, e.g. Heathrow and Gatwick in the UK, are full. The profitable airlines wants more slots but there is a lack of capacity in key locations. 

There will be stiff competition for a lot of Thomas Cook's slots (grandfather rights), especially from expanding low cost operators like Easyjet and Norwegian. Easyjet is by far the biggest airline at Gatwick. It has the infrastructure and systems in place all over Europe.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
48 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
The worst hit by this will probably be small hotels who already had their margins screwed to the limit by Thomas Cook and now likely won't get paid at all. I'd imagine big hotels have insurance for this kind of thing.

My in-laws have used the same hotel in Kalamaki many times over the last 20 odd years. It has about 40 rooms, and having stayed in it a couple of times myself I would reckon 60-70% of their customers are Thomas Cook bookings. A few other hotels they have stayed in will be the same.

They'd probably get a good deal booking their room straight away, directly with the hotel, for their next trip and booking their flights separately. Most of the budget airlines have just started selling flights for next summer and you sometimes get good deals booking early. 

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes, there will be. As previously stated, many UK airports are at capacity, and slots are like hens teeth. Now that TC won't be needing those slots, they'll be up for grabs/ auction, and will be popular.

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Dominican for us too. Should have been flying out this Friday. First holiday in 6 years. Knew it was too good to be true.
Still, first world problems. We're ATOL protected and still have jobs to go back to.
Shit timing though. Feeling just a little bit older, more bitter and grumpier
(not expecting any sympathy)

Similar to my suggestion to Peasy above, if you can afford waiting for the refund and find alternative flights, you could probably get a good deal directly with the hotel, they'll be desperate for punters. 

Currently in Mexico just started day 3 of 10, and extra day or 2 won't go amiss. Hopefully everything is sorted over the next couple of days and no stress next week, speaking too a few people at the pool yesterday who are flying home today, no idea what will be happening with them.

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Currently in Mexico just started day 3 of 10, and extra day or 2 won't go amiss. Hopefully everything is sorted over the next couple of days and no stress next week, speaking too a few people at the pool yesterday who are flying home today, no idea what will be happening with them.

Assuming it's Cancun you're flying from, you should get kept up to date with information here.

https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/guidance-by-destination/mexico/cancun-cun/

Currently in Cyprus, due to fly back wednesday night. Kept an eye on things through the night and had a look at a jet2 flight around 5am as back up in case our flight didnt fly back to glasgow. Looked again at 8 and the price had doubled.
Looks like we will have to wait to see what flight we get from the CAA. To be fair, most flights seem to be roughly the same time and to the original airport but I noticed a couple of glasgow flights from other areas being re-directed to gatwick and birmingham.

They have been a basket case for decades.

Not long after WW2, they had to be nationalised and run by the government, rather than go bust.  

Nearly went bust again in 2011, were rescued and restructured, then blew what little spare cash they had on becoming an official sponsor/partner of London 2012.

They then heavily invested in buying Coop Travel shops to increase their retail presence, when every other travel company was reducing retail outlets and investing in on line & tech. By the time they realised that that was a poor strategy, they didn't have the necessary funds to be able to attract the type of talented tech people who could help them close the HUGE gap that they were behind the opposition, so they fell even further behind.

They bought successful, well known brands like Club 1830 and Direct Holidays, and then rebranded them within the Thomas Cook name, so the millions of customers went elsewhere rather than stay with TC.

I worked for them for 19 years, and they spent that entire time trying to turn society back to the way they were set up to operate, rather than having the ability and thought process to spot where their business was going, and react accordingly. That 's why they're no more.

I see Germany has about the same number of holiday makers abroad with TC or their subsidiaries as Britain but are leaving it to the insurance companies to sort out repatriation. Wonder how they're getting on, heard it's costing the UK Government 600 million which is effectively bailing out the insurance and credit card companies. Could be some interesting resentments going on round the poolsides.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I see Germany has about the same number of holiday makers abroad with TC or their subsidiaries as Britain but are leaving it to the insurance companies to sort out repatriation. Wonder how they're getting on, heard it's costing the UK Government 600 million which is effectively bailing out the insurance and credit card companies. Could be some interesting resentments going on round the poolsides.

That's total bollocks. Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, has estimated the cost at £100 million. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-and-uk-caa-launches-largest-repatriation-in-peacetime-history-after-collapse-of-thomas-cook

"There are more than 150,000 holidaymakers abroad with Thomas Cook who are booked to return to the UK at some point over the next 2 weeks. The vast majority will not need to return today.

"The operation is modelled on the successful repatriation of passengers after the collapse of Monarch Airways. The final cost of that operation to taxpayers was about £50 million. The repatriation effort with Thomas Cook is about twice the size."

Edited by Bishop Briggs

41 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I'm no financial expert but something has gone wrong here.

Capture.PNG

23 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

They have been a basket case for decades.

Not long after WW2, they had to be nationalised and run by the government, rather than go bust.  

Nearly went bust again in 2011, were rescued and restructured, then blew what little spare cash they had on becoming an official sponsor/partner of London 2012.

They then heavily invested in buying Coop Travel shops to increase their retail presence, when every other travel company was reducing retail outlets and investing in on line & tech. By the time they realised that that was a poor strategy, they didn't have the necessary funds to be able to attract the type of talented tech people who could help them close the HUGE gap that they were behind the opposition, so they fell even further behind.

They bought successful, well known brands like Club 1830 and Direct Holidays, and then rebranded them within the Thomas Cook name, so the millions of customers went elsewhere rather than stay with TC.

I worked for them for 19 years, and they spent that entire time trying to turn society back to the way they were set up to operate, rather than having the ability and thought process to spot where their business was going, and react accordingly. That 's why they're no more.

There's your answer...

5 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

That's total bollocks. Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, has estimated the cost at £100 million. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-and-uk-caa-launches-largest-repatriation-in-peacetime-history-after-collapse-of-thomas-cook

"The operation is modelled on the successful repatriation of passengers after the collapse of Monarch Airways. The final cost of that operation to taxpayers was about £50 million. The repatriation effort with Thomas Cook is about twice the size."

Yes, the 600 million figure is the total estimated taxpayer cost, including covering outstanding pay, redundancies and pensions.