Thomas Cook getting sevco'd

Romeo

7 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Mr Romeo is away to Tenerife with her daft pals in November. They have booked separate flights and hotels so might be forced to find alternatives.

Anybody else affected by potential sevcoing of T. Cook?

Could be wrong but I think they'll be ok as I see the shareholders being wiped out but the company continuing with the Fosun injection.

26 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Mr Romeo is away to Tenerife with her daft pals in November. They have booked separate flights and hotels so might be forced to find alternatives.

Anybody else affected by potential sevcoing of T. Cook?

You might have made a wee typo there, Romeo...

I'm off to Florida on Monday morning  - flights booked with them.

Safe to say my arse is twitching, even if the 'potentially grounded and out of business by Sunday' line the Sky News started with and has been gleefully picked up on by most outlets is fanciful to say the least

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm off to Florida on Monday morning  - flights booked with them.

Safe to say my arse is twitching, even if the 'potentially grounded and out of business by Sunday' line the Sky News started with and has been gleefully picked up on by most outlets is fanciful to say the least

Hopefully it's fine for you mate. I suppose if they get you over there and it goes tits up someone else will bring you back? 

Just now, Romeo said:

Hopefully it's fine for you mate. I suppose if they get you over there and it goes tits up someone else will bring you back? 

Yeah, I booked flights on credit card, and I'm pretty well covered in my insurance in event of insolvency. Funnily enough, I'm less worried about having a couple extra days at the other side than I am about not getting. ;) 

I'm meant to be travelling on 6 October to Tunisia - thankfully ATOL protected plus, for insurance, paid by credit card - ironically an RBS credit card.

Will get all my money back if they fold - might even get the extras like airport parking back as well:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/

I suspect this might be RBS and Lloyds trying to strong arm more money from Fosun.

Although I'm annoyed at this I do feel for the employees who are going through this. It's also doubly annoying that the two banks doing this just happen to be ones who were bailed out by HM Government during the banking crisis. A sensible government might step in - but I'm not sure here - crazy considering that the cost of repatriation of holidaymakers and compensation will dwarf the £200 million needed.

Thomas Cook wants a Government bailout - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49761464

"Thomas Cook has approached the government in a bid to plug the gap in funding it needs to satisfy lenders."

Such a subsidy would be considered as illegal state aid under EU competition laws. TUI is probably on the phone to the EU Commission already.

We’re going to the Dominican next June. Thankfully only paid the Deposit and £300 extra so far. Was just to pay the rest of it off next Friday when we got paid.

We’re Atol protected thankfully, so we’ll get it back through that. not paid it on the credit cards stupidly as we’re trying to rely less on them

We’re just waiting for the bad news, then we’ll probably end up booking Turkey or something next.

Thomas Cook wants a Government bailout - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49761464
"Thomas Cook has approached the government in a bid to plug the gap in funding it needs to satisfy lenders."
Such a subsidy would be considered as illegal state aid under EU competition laws. TUI is probably on the phone to the EU Commission already.
Or pressure RBS and Lloyds to back down.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Or pressure RBS and Lloyds to back down.

Obviously. The company must be aware of the EU laws.

TUI, with its own financial woes, will be looking to raise prices if Thomas Cook goes into admin. It will be ready to fight any Government subsidies. 

The CAA has to underwrite the £600 million cost of repatriating Thomas Cook's customers. The Treasury will looking for a legal solution to avoid that huge bill.

Flying to Turkey with Thomas Cook on Sunday ( hopefully ) .

Booked flights and hotel package through Travel Republic , so ATOL protected with them .

I have a few days spare at the other end of my holidays before returning to work , so not overly worried if things go tits up with Cook's while we're over there , will have time for them to get alternative flights sorted , and a few extra days in the sun won't hurt .

Just need the fuckers to get me there first !!

On a serious note though , hope things can be sorted out for the sake of their employees .