Queen's Park V Cowdenbeath

It's always quoted when a football club is having internal ramblings that the players just focus on the game and I certainly hope that's the case this week. We've a very decent squad and more than a few very good individuals so let's just play the fitba' and get back to winning ways. 3 points would see us leapfrog The Blue Brazil and with Elgin and Rovers both tackling the top two we might even see some space below us as well.

I've made the point several times now and sticking with it. Team's fine, tactics fine, defence is great. Just need a bit more composure up front, better choices and maybe a bit more trust in each other and the goals will come. Enjoy yourself!

Would start Sal on Saturday, but we have to find a way of turning his flick ons into an advantage. Wins so many balls in the air. Need someone to be anticipating them. Regan Thomson pretty much played his way into the team as well, but at whose expense? Could possibly change the shape to go five in midfield to accommodate him, but the defence has been largely solid.

Pretty much the same as every game, this one could go any way. Such a tight league from third or fourth downwards. Could do with a win at Hampden just to get off and running on that front. Whatever happens, it's important not to get too up or down. Still a young and learning side. 

To benefit from SAL's flick ons requires either one or both wide players coming inside and gambling when they spot that long ball coming, or midfielders or number 10 gambling and running into the channels. In the second half last week some players didnt the memo when SAL came on. He was winning everything fired at him but nobody was gambling.

3 minutes ago, houstonspider said:

To benefit from SAL's flick ons requires either one or both wide players coming inside and gambling when they spot that long ball coming, or midfielders or number 10 gambling and running into the channels. In the second half last week some players didnt the memo when SAL came on. He was winning everything fired at him but nobody was gambling.

You should sign Kane Hester, he allegedly likes a big gamble 😉

29 minutes ago, houstonspider said:

I've noticed that when Sal is playing the ball goes long and he ends up in 50/50 in the air. When Alfie is playing, it gets played into feet. Sal hasn't a particularly good first-touch so if the tactic with him is to win in the air then I'd offer two observations. Firstly, he competes well but not often cleanly enough to direct a ball to another player.

Secondly, if it's the flick-on tactic then he'd have to come much deeper to allow the midfield to get ahead of him. If he could practise at getting the ball directed back (or sideways) to midfielders, facing the goal, results would be better. At the moment, his flick-ons are going into the area where the striker should be waiting. It'll work better with two strikers; can't expect Sal to win the 50/50 and then be their to receive his own pass. Imho these flick-ons should be coming from a midfielder and the striker up closer to the goals.

Choice of fullbacks will be interesting tomorrow. Will it be the attack minded pair or the defence minded pair or a pick n mix. I wondered if Roberts went last week at home with the latter pair to minimise the risk of getting picked off on the counter in the big wide pitch.

Thats a point that just came to me. I don't think we get any benefit from the current pitch dimensions so could we bring the touchlines in ?

1 hour ago, houstonspider said:

Choice of fullbacks will be interesting tomorrow. Will it be the attack minded pair or the defence minded pair or a pick n mix. I wondered if Roberts went last week at home with the latter pair to minimise the risk of getting picked off on the counter in the big wide pitch.

Thats a point that just came to me. I don't think we get any benefit from the current pitch dimensions so could we bring the touchlines in ?

Got to get Billy Mortimer back in the team. Unsure as to why he was dropped last week, he’s had a great start to the season 

17 minutes ago, Drifter said:

What is the keeper situation? What's happened to the Hibs lad, and who's the current back-up?

Dabrowski was caught in the face by David Marsh in the game on Saturday and will be out for a wee while I imagine. Broken cheekbone I think I read somewhere.

Reserve keeper is Mac Whyte and I have no idea who he is.

Cheers pal, didn't realise that. Friggin ell... a blow that

But in the face of adversity, hopefully the defence compensates for any newbie and rises to the occasion

With both teams enjoying a decent start to the season, there's no place I'd rather be tomorrow than Hampden (after a mooch around Cathkin) in the last bit of sun we'll see this year... and hopefully celebrate a Cowden win for the long journey home.

Positive times on the pitch so far for Cowden and hopefully team spirit will prevail to help that continue tomorrow.

Though I'd still settle for that score draw I predicted on the Cowden thread

Really looking forward to an interesting/entertaining game. Mon the Coos!

Edited by Drifter