Motherwell vs Ross County

Not much chat ahead of this one.

Can Motherwell keep up their impressive run of goal scoring/winning form? 

The fact Ross County shipped 11 goals in their last 4 games is promising, suggests there should be goals here for us. With the pace, energy and intensity we have at the minute, I’d generally fancy us to cause most teams problems. 

However, it is Motherwell and a swift boot in the baws is never far away whenever we get ahead of ourselves. The cup exit after all the McCormack hype at the start of the year springs to mind..

Edited by Casagolda

I've been impressed with how Motherwell operate middle-to-front.  Liam Polworth is proving his credentials.  The ability of other players (eg Seedorf and Donnelly) to drive at defences will go a long way to Motherwell having a good season IMO.

None of that will matter one jot, however, coming up against Joe Chalmers as the holding midfielder.

Edited by bunglebonce

We are a bit of a mixed bag this year it seems. Some good stuff against Hamilton and Hearts then pastings by Livi and Aberdeen.

We showed we can grind out results on Saturday, but Motherwell look very very strong this season and wouldn't be surprised if they're in the top 4.

I'd like to see Henderson and Paton both keep their places in midfield with more of an enforcer type behind them.

Laidlol

Fraser Watson Morris(Fontaine) Foster

Mullin  Hendo  Grivosti Paton  Gardyne

RossStewartMania

A hard fought and exciting  2-2 is my prediction. 

9 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

None of that will matter one jot, however, coming up against Joe Chalmers as the holding midfielder.

I cannot emphasise how much I'm looking forward to Super Joe's return to Fir Park. I'll be operating a one man player focus on him. 

I've never known a player to be given so much support and so much desire for him to be good, only for him to be absolutely humpty for us. A lovely man, and not at left-back, so fair play to him.

I cannot emphasise how much I'm looking forward to Super Joe's return to Fir Park. I'll be operating a one man player focus on him. 

I've never known a player to be given so much support and so much desire for him to be good, only for him to be absolutely humpty for us. A lovely man, and not at left-back, so fair play to him.

Joltin’ Joe is a midfielder these days. He can spring a pass alright, but his left back days, a bit like opposing wingers, are behind him.

Edit: I think County will get hammered.

45 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Liam Polworth is proving his credentials

I've been really impressed with him - as much as I have been with Gallacher, which is a goodly bit of praise. With the exception of Turnbull, he's as good at playing forward passes as any midfielder we've had in the past few years. Wasn't particularly hyped about his signing TBH - mostly as ICT supporters always seemed quite equivocal about him (decent footballer but lazy, etc) - so he's been a nice surprise to say the least.

As far as I remember, our last 2 games against County were the massively dispiriting defeat in the cup last year and the mildly dispiriting 1-0 defeat at the end of 16/17 - so we're due a decent performance. Unless injury requires it, I'd be really surprised if we changed last week's team - there were very few if any failures and they must be confident.

Any chance of Van Der Weg re-signing in time for the game?

giphy.gif

Edited by Swello

1 minute ago, Swello said:

I've been really impressed with him - as much as I have been with Gallacher, which is a goodly bit of praise. With the exception of Turnbull, he's as good at playing forward passes as any midfielder we've had in the past few years. Wasn't particularly hyped about his signing TBH - mostly as ICT supporters always seemed quite equivocal about him (decent footballer but lazy, etc) - so he's been a nice surprise to say the least.

As far as I remember, our last 2 games against County were the massively dispiriting defeat in the cup last year and the mildly dispiriting 1-0 defeat at the end of 16/17 - so we're due a decent performance. Unless injury requires it, I'd be really surprised if we changed last week's team - there were very few if any failures and they must be confident.

giphy.gif

Your wingers wouldn't be fast anymore if Kenny was playing...

22 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Joltin’ Joe is a midfielder these days. He can spring a pass alright, but his left back days, a bit like opposing wingers, are behind him.

Edit: I think County will get hammered.

Oh I'm well aware, I remain equally as excited to see how he holds up against Campbell Donnelly and Polworth as I would if he was up against any of our forty wingers.

Motherwell fans- specifically me- showing any sort of confidence generally tends to blow up in our faces... but we should definitely be winning this, right? 

Individually, I like all of Ross County's midfield options- Vigz :wub:- but any combination of them is pretty powderpuff up against Campbell and Donnelly. We've been creating hundreds of chances lately, and County's propensity recently for literally chucking goals in makes me fairly confident.

4-2.

56 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

One of the darkest moments in the club's history, imo.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Motherwell fans- specifically me- showing any sort of confidence generally tends to blow up in our faces... but we should definitely be winning this, right? 

Individually, I like all of Ross County's midfield options- Vigz :wub:- but any combination of them is pretty powderpuff up against Campbell and Donnelly. We've been creating hundreds of chances lately, and County's propensity recently for literally chucking goals in makes me fairly confident.

4-2.

This sums it up. We aren't going to consistently put in good defensive performances until we have some more bite in midfield, and we aren't going away to Motherwell and winning 4-3. Itll be an entertaining match though I think and if we have a good day we could end up with a score draw. 

3 hours ago, Swello said:

Agree re: Polworth, it's been interesting that given the intense pearl-clutching about our impending Turnbull-less future we've been given a peek at one while he's still at the club and it's been...alright?

Where last season we seemed to have Ally Gorrin controlling the tempo the midfield 3 as it is looks a lot more fluid. I know it didn't result in a goal but the interplay and speed of passing (along with the execution) for the Devante Cole chance at Tynecastle on Saturday is very much my kind of fitba'.

On the game itself the Ross McCormack Debacle is a bit too fresh in the mind to be confident  and also I'm hyper-aware of it being very Motherwell to f**k these sort of games up when there's a bit of hype around the team but equally an aspect of Robinson's tenure has been that he's been able to put together a few consistent runs. The 2-0 against County in his first full season kicked off a run of results where we went 1 loss in 10 in all competitions or something like that (19 Aug - 25 Oct) while last season following the 1-0 loss in the Cup we won 6 on the bounce so it'd be nice if we could maintain a bit of form here (obviously).

Unless there are injuries I really can't see any changes to the starting XI tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

Going into this one with quiet optimism given our recent goal scoring exploits and County’s generosity at the back.

The change from playing Hylton and Seedorf wide to Seedorf and Scott over the last few weeks has made a big difference and gives us a great option from the bench, and the midfield 3 have great energy and balance.

That being said our decent run can’t go on forever and we’ve had some crap results against County in recent years - particular the Scottish cup game last year when we made Brian Graham look like Zlatan.

I’ll say 2-1 to the good guys to keep our run going. 4-0 if County inexplicably go for a midfield two of Vigz and Super Joe.