Players on loan from senior clubs

Junior Guy

We had 2 players on loan from senior team last season we had lee duncanson from partick who this season signed for brechin city and been used as a sub most weeks and declan fitzpatrick from clyde who got recalled and this season has been on bench twice but yet 2 get on.

Mon the papers

4 hours ago, passbackdave said:

We had 2 players on loan from senior team last season we had lee duncanson from partick who this season signed for brechin city and been used as a sub most weeks and declan fitzpatrick from clyde who got recalled and this season has been on bench twice but yet 2 get on.

Mon the papers

aye very good stato ha ha 😂

8 hours ago, Junior Guy said:

Few good names mentioned.  Just seems to be majority drop down and find their level 

Looking at it objectively, if players are to go out on loan, managers will want to see them at the highest level possible. It will also surely depend on the player's short/medium/long term future at the club.

So a top flight manager might want a kid to go to L1/2 for game time and the Championship to get ready for 1st team. There are top flight sides that loan to the Juniors - Accies for example. Bens and Bankies have players just now.  They also have players out at non-league senior sides and another 5 in L1/2. Glenafton have 2 from St. Mirren. Dundee United in the Championship as already noted are loaning to Tayside Junior clubs just now.

The Lowland league is however another tier that is taking players on loan from bigger sides. Hearts have players at Bonnyrigg and Spartans, Hibs have 5 out there, Livi 3 , Rangers 2...

If there is any point I'm making, I suppose it is that any players loaned to tier 5 and below is not necessarily going to go on to have a long-term full-time career. Some will, most won't. That goes tbh for most players out with the 1st team squad at SPFL (national) level. (IMO)

Edited by cmontheloknow

Most players I have seen on loan to Juniors appear to be freed at the end of their contracts.

In Tayside Dundee Utd had 3 out last season.  2 of the 3 were subsequently freed.

They still were however deemed too good to drop permanent to this level.

2 freed and are now at Dumbarton (Zata)  & Brechin (Inglis).

As previously mentioned Appere has bucked the trend by starring for the 1st team.

Edited by superbigal

I can't remember a player that has been loaned out from a senior club to a junior club that has managed to get back to senior football. I don't have the best knowledge tbf. So many young guys hanging on to the senior tag when possibly starting junior or lowland could be the best option going forward. Pro youth and reserves not the best option imo albeit they will play the odd friendly with experienced players in the opposition team. Playing against experienced junior players is a harsh reality of how small the margins can be

I can't remember a player that has been loaned out from a senior club to a junior club that has managed to get back to senior football. I don't have the best knowledge tbf. So many young guys hanging on to the senior tag when possibly starting junior or lowland could be the best option going forward. Pro youth and reserves not the best option imo albeit they will play the odd friendly with experienced players in the opposition team. Playing against experienced junior players is a harsh reality of how small the margins can be
We had James Hilton on loan from Ayr last season, he is now at Stranraer, where he is joint top scorer with 3 goals from 7 starts. He is one of the few young loanees that I can remember not being phased by the physicality of the juniors.

Craig McGuffie and Leon Murphy both on loan to Glenafton from Ayr in recent seasons. Craig playing with Ayr and Leon now on loan at Stranraer and both doing well.
I think the loan system works well as too many youth players have not played competitive football for years being involved in the pro-youth set up and also only playing against players the same age.
Clearly junior football is a tougher environment and gives them a lesson in real life football.
It's certainly a sink or swim for many players!