Partick Thistle's Next Permanent Manager

Who will it be?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm worried it might be Miller pending any takeover, but if it's not then I think I'd quite like Craigan. Enough of a link with the club to get the "must have Thistle connections" crowd on board and decent enough pedigree with Motherwell u21s.

I'd be OK if not massively happy with McCall or Lennon on the grounds it would stop some of the other jokers on that bookie screenshot coming near Firhill. Jim McIntyre or Derek Adams would be cut up the season ticket material.

23 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Second choice would be Lennon. Legendary status aside, I think there's a fair few question marks over his management. Hear a lot of part-time players say they didn't like his training, perhaps sessions are more effective at full-time. Would be a good fit around the club, though.

I’d love to know who they are. 

1 hour ago, Armand 2 said:

I didn't think Craigan was interested in a managerial role but would be a great fit to come in as an assistant/work with the youth team; clearly did a very good job at Motherwell.

Here's the interview Craigan gave when he left Fir Park, the gist seemed to be that he felt that his shelf life was up and generally felt quite scunnered with the transition from u20s/Dev football to Reserves and the lack of competitive games.

I was surprised he stepped down at the time purely because I thought he had a pretty sweet gig with the BT stuff and the u20s involvement. Whether or not BT losing their contract has changed his thinking but he doesn't necessarily rule out management when he's talking about his future.

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Here's the interview Craigan gave when he left Fir Park, the gist seemed to be that he felt that his shelf life was up and generally felt quite scunnered with the transition from u20s/Dev football to Reserves and the lack of competitive games.

I was surprised he stepped down at the time purely because I thought he had a pretty sweet gig with the BT stuff and the u20s involvement. Whether or not BT losing their contract has changed his thinking but he doesn't necessarily rule out management when he's talking about his future.

Sure he was punted for sending text inappropriate messages.  

Always thought/feared John Hughes would end up at Firhill one day. Hopefully not.

I like Craigan, but he isnt what we need right now. Cant afford to take a risk with an inexperienced manager.

John Robertson would be the "stauner for days" option as he is the best manager in the league imo, but highly doubt we could afford him or if he'd want to come.

Ian McCall or Danny Lennon would be safe shouts. Wouldn't be against Stuart McCall either.

McIntyre, Adams, Houston, Gemmill etc. can absolutely do one.

Edited by Jacky1990

36 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Any backing for getting Archibald back?

I'm not keen on the idea of him being first choice, but if it's a straight decision between him or some of the names in the thread I'd be okay with it. Certainly think he'd be willing to come back at his end given he's not managed to get anything else when other jobs became available (Hamilton, Dundee and a few others that he'd likely have been interested in) and there's no compensation due - paying out a compensation package will probably hamstring us for going for anyone currently in a job if its significant.

If we're going down the route of someone with some sort of history of playing/managing at Firhill I'd prefer Craigan, McCall or Lennon. McCall probably the safest pair of hands of those names imo.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

4 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I’d love to know who they are. 

Basic summary of Danny at Alloa-

He took over from Barry Smith when we looked certainties to be relegated from the Championship. There were 2 other part time teams in the league- Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton. He rallied the team and injected some new ideas and spirit. He picked up some big results, relegating Cowden and managed to seal 9th place and an escape route via the playoffs. Led the team to the great escape playoff final win over Forfar. We didnt play badly in the first leg at Station Park but lost 3 1. But won the second leg 3 0 in one of the best days Ive experienced as a supporter.

Then the cracks started. He wanted to use the budget to build a bigger squad. We still had a core of excellent players from the Paul Hartley era. He seemed quite "take it or leave it" in terms of offering new contracts to those guys (this is the players accounts- not my opinion). The majority of them left. He wanted to build a larger pool with the budget, but ended up considerably diluting the quality. His recruitment was very haphazard that summer and we were very poor. He was sacked in early December.

I watched lots of his training sessions. He worked on shape shape shape. They were hugely tactically orientated and very interesting. He clearly knew his game inside out and they were great to watch from the stand. However the players spent most of these sessions standing on the pitch in their positions and listening to him. Bearing in mind they trained two nights a week only. They hated it.

Also worth mentioning Danny is one of the nicest guys Ive ever met in football. I write for the match programme and early in his bad season, he summoned me to his office. He told me he read my articles every fortnight and how much he really appreciated the backing and support I was trying to give him. Ive written for the programme for 12 years and no other manager at the club has taken the time to do this.

I assume hes changed his methods somewhat at Clyde because hes done really well there. So the assumption is correct that his methods at Alloa were not suited to part time level. His rebuilding strategy may have worked in League 1, but in the Championship we were toast. However, I certainly think Danny would be a level above Caldwell as Thistle manager. Thistle have quality in their ranks- he will create a bit of unity and get more out of them

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)