SSMAFL - 2019/2020 Season

bringbackmols

Figured it wouldn't be bad having a forum for the Strathclyde Saturday Morning League.

It's not quite got the attraction of the big afternoon league, but with teams like UB United, Tynecastle, East Dunbartonshire, Nicos, Maryhill Thistle, Westercommon Star, Uddingston and Yoker - surely it's worth a bit of chat.

Unsurprisingly East Dunbartonshire have started well in the new season having pushed UB united relatively close to the Premier league title last season, with 4 wins from 5, their only loss coming to Shawbridge in the first game of the season.

Shawbridge before the weekend had won 3 from 3 before being beat by Bengal Lancers.
Lancers and Uddingston are the only teams still to be beat (Bengal playing 3 and Uddingston having only played 1).

In the leagues below Maryhill Thistle and St Rochs (6 from 6!) have not dropped a single point thus far, and in Championship B, Nicos lead the way having only dropped 2 points out of 12.

Edited by bringbackmols

Champ A - Maryhill Thistle followed by St Rochs.
Champ B - Nicos

Prem - for me it's the most competitive it's been for a long time, there's between 4 and 6 teams that probably believe or can win that league this season.
Hard one to call.  Can't even discount teams that haven't started well, but know they'll have class to come in.

Played against some good teams from this set up in recent years, Maryhill, Uddingston and Southside (not sure if they're still going)?

If I stayed in the Glasgow area then I'd definitely be keen to join a morning team, get your game out the way early and the rest of the weekend is your own.

5 minutes ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Played against some good teams from this set up in recent years, Maryhill, Uddingston and Southside (not sure if they're still going)?

If I stayed in the Glasgow area then I'd definitely be keen to join a morning team, get your game out the way early and the rest of the weekend is your own.

100% LoJ!

It's a good league to play in with a lot of good teams! And the attraction of playing in the morning is definitely taking off due to the reason you talk about. Getting your game away early, then have rest of the day with fam/watch the football etc.

Southside morning team are still going, play in the Prem. Tough start but can never really write them off.

The afternoon team has folded though.

Just joined the league as a new club this summer but having been involved in it the previous 2 seasons with Newmains Hammers as well would agree on comments re: Saturday morning football. Basically all done for lunchtime then got the full weekend to yourself and would say it opens up more players to potentially sign that go and watch their respective senior sides on an afternoon.

On our own side would say it will be a season of finding our feet. Young squad and even some of the 'older' players have little to no amateur experience. First 3 points picked up at the weekend and really unfortunate to miss out on a semi-final place to Tynecastle a few weeks back but still plenty work to be done on and off the field.

Can't comment for a lot of the new sides as haven't seen them yet but from own experience would agree I can't see past Nicos winning our division hopefully we can start to climb up and get a good finishing position to build on going forward though.

Standard wise would say it's a lot better than maybe some involved in afternoon football would believe but think those misconceptions are dying off a bit especially with UB making West final a couple years ago. 

Standard has improved in the lower divisions this year, alot of good teams and good squads all coming together. 

Manhattan Blacks are doing well in the 2nd division, recorded 8-0 win against Bridgeton Vale (match called at  55 mins due to injuries and having no subs) so could have been double that. 11-2 win against Moorlands who taught us a lesson last season and a 9-1 win at home to Bargeddie. 

Poor result in the Scottish against Barrhead Arky, quite tight until we had 2 men sent off by half time - pretty much killed it. 

Looking forward to playing against all the new teams in the league, Nico's look like the team to beat so excited to have a go! 

As for the Premier, Shawbridge off to a flyer anyone know much about them? 

Think broomhouse will fancy their chances in that league especially with nicos losing their most influential player. Will e between those 2 teams for the that division. Ub have signed a few players and started rebuilding again , but think tynecastle or east dunbartonshire will win the premier.

On 20/09/2019 at 11:16, Gav Lenin said:

Standard has improved in the lower divisions this year, alot of good teams and good squads all coming together. 

Manhattan Blacks are doing well in the 2nd division, recorded 8-0 win against Bridgeton Vale (match called at  55 mins due to injuries and having no subs) so could have been double that. 11-2 win against Moorlands who taught us a lesson last season and a 9-1 win at home to Bargeddie. 

Poor result in the Scottish against Barrhead Arky, quite tight until we had 2 men sent off by half time - pretty much killed it. 

Looking forward to playing against all the new teams in the league, Nico's look like the team to beat so excited to have a go! 

As for the Premier, Shawbridge off to a flyer anyone know much about them? 

Aye - tough team to beat. tough defenders and midfield. the #8 Stephen Dallas is a cracking centre mid, full of energy, drives the team on.

#9 hetherton is a tiny striker, but he is lightening quick and can cause all sorts of issues in behind, technically good also and links up well.

Took their first league loss last week but other than have been faultless.

I played in the Civil Service league. Had some good sides back then.

The breakaway to form the new league was a bit of a coup. I remember asking about the rumour of a new league just to be told not to worry because my team were not getting an invite!

The standard of the CS League definitely dropped but the new league at the time was worse. Good to see it has picked up at last☺

17 hours ago, justagoalie said:

I played in the Civil Service league. Had some good sides back then.

The breakaway to form the new league was a bit of a coup. I remember asking about the rumour of a new league just to be told not to worry because my team were not getting an invite!

The standard of the CS League definitely dropped but the new league at the time was worse. Good to see it has picked up at last☺

I don't know the history to this league, were we what you called the Civil Service League or was this another league?

It was the Strathclyde Civil Service League. Teams were from National Savings Bank in Cowglen, local Social Security offices, Inland Revenue and other public bodies.

2 leagues and 2 cups plus a consolation cup.

A good standard at the best teams and competetive. Lot of good players who also played Saturday afternoons. 

It's good that players have a choice regards when they want to play

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to hosting Shawbridge AFC in the next round of the Scottish.

Don’t know much about them or the league - but we just knocked out South Lochaber Thistle 5-2 who themselves beat Tynecastle in the WoS Cup a week previous.

Was some trek north - quite happy with a home tie in Kirkcaldy

Recent results for us were 

Bridgeton 0-2 Netherton and Kirky Rob Roy 3-0 Netherton

Bridgeton game unfortunately lost the points as it's been approved for them to drop into development league. Saturdays defeat by all accounts we played well first half hour then after going a goal behind never really got going again.

Hopefully put it right Saturday away to Port United in Strathclyde cup