Stenhousemuir -vs- Brechin City

No doubt about it, this is a must-win game for both sides if they have any aspirations of moving away from the wrong end of League 2. Before the weekend's game against Cowdenbeath, I reckoned Stenhousemuir could have taken seven points from their meetings with the Blue Brazil, Brechin City and Stirling Albion; after our deserved 3-0 pumping, I'm now very worried about our ability to get something from Saturday's game and I'm concerned about where our season is going.

On paper, a home match with Brechin is probably the most straightforward assignment of the season - a team we didn't lose to at all last season, even when we were reduced to 10 men on two occasions - but I'm not so sure now. We've been rubbish at home in the league this season. We looked sprightly enough when we came back into it against Albion Rovers (before chucking it away), we were largely poor against Edinburgh City and even worse against Cowden. Why is this? I can't explain it. We haven't won a home match since beating Montrose on 9 February!

If we don't win this match, I worry for Colin McMenamin. The crowd were rightly angry at the end of Saturday's match and I don't think they'll have the stomach for something similar for a second week running. It's easier said than done but we have to encourage our defenders to play through the midfield rather than launching big punts up towards Mark McGuigan, they need to get Alan Cook more involved, and they need to get Thomas Halleran on the ball whenever possible. Whenever we go behind, we seem to lose our composure and try to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. The second-half performance against Cowden really wasn't acceptable and the manner in which we lost the second and third goals was embarrassing.

That said, I honestly can't think of any changes I'd make on Saturday. I don't think we've got the options from the bench, David Hopkirk aside:

- Kieran Anderson - Mark McGuigan -

- Alan Cook - Thomas Halleran - Wullie Gibson - Jamie McKernon - Chris O'Neil -

- Scott McLaughlin - David Marsh - Andy Munro -

- Graeme Smith -

The pressure is on! Home win.

No doubt about it, this is a must-win game for both sides if they have any aspirations of moving away from the wrong end of League 2. Before the weekend's game against Cowdenbeath, I reckoned Stenhousemuir could have taken seven points from their meetings with the Blue Brazil, Brechin City and Stirling Albion; after our deserved 3-0 pumping, I'm now very worried about our ability to get something from Saturday's game and I'm concerned about where our season is going.
On paper, a home match with Brechin is probably the most straightforward assignment of the season - a team we didn't lose to at all last season, even when we were reduced to 10 men on two occasions - but I'm not so sure now. We've been rubbish at home in the league this season. We looked sprightly enough when we came back into it against Albion Rovers (before chucking it away), we were largely poor against Edinburgh City and even worse against Cowden. Why is this? I can't explain it. We haven't won a home match since beating Montrose on 9 February!
If we don't win this match, I worry for Colin McMenamin. The crowd were rightly angry at the end of Saturday's match and I don't think they'll have the stomach for something similar for a second week running. It's easier said than done but we have to encourage our defenders to play through the midfield rather than launching big punts up towards Mark McGuigan, they need to get Alan Cook more involved, and they need to get Thomas Halleran on the ball whenever possible. Whenever we go behind, we seem to lose our composure and try to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible. The second-half performance against Cowden really wasn't acceptable and the manner in which we lost the second and third goals was embarrassing.
That said, I honestly can't think of any changes I'd make on Saturday. I don't think we've got the options from the bench, David Hopkirk aside:

- Graeme Smith -

I agree with getting Cook more involved. Majority of our goals this season have come from his crosses or him scoring, from the left hand side. So I don't understand why we don't play to that strength.

Last season when we played them, we finished two games with 10 men and another with 9, but didn't lose at all. I don't think we can expect similar, in terms of results, if we are playing badly.

It is a huge game and probably last chance saloon for McMenamin. Something obviously isn't right. On Saturday if you look at our three so called big names, Munro, Gibson and McGuigan were all miles off it. Munro in particular has been disappointing to the extent that I'd suggest David Marsh has out performed him. 

55 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

- Graeme Smith -

Watching the Highlights of Cowdenbeath your left winger just didn't bother his arse tracking back for the second goal .

Just stood and watched the boy walk past him.

6 minutes ago, The Mariner said:

Watching the Highlights of Cowdenbeath your left winger just didn't bother his arse tracking back for the second goal .

Just stood and watched the boy walk past him.

"The Kieran Anderson Fan" has logged in again, I see.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

- Graeme Smith -

As you say there aren't many options off the bench but I would start with Hopkirk instead of Anderson. Hopkirk provides some movement and will track back but Anderson just wants to stand and wait for the ball to land at his feet so that he can have a swing at it.

You think we really need a few changes to the team and then you look at the squad and who's going to come in and do a job? I sound like a broken record but the recruitment has been absolutely shocking. 

1-3. Roddy Grant with all four Brechin goals.

31 minutes ago, Ancient Warrior said:

As you say there aren't many options off the bench but I would start with Hopkirk instead of Anderson. Hopkirk provides some movement and will track back but Anderson just wants to stand and wait for the ball to land at his feet so that he can have a swing at it.

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, Ancient Warrior said:

With Gibbons gone will we be bringing someone in to replace him or are we hoping Brandon Luke emerges from the undergrowth and become our saviour.

Don't think so. In central midfield we have Thomas Halleran, Wullie Gibson, Jamie McKernon, Dylan Dykes and Marky Munro so I can't imagine there's any need for another one.

I have to say, I do have high hopes for Brandon Luke and think he could be just what we're looking for, providing he gets a run of games.

Regarding your previous point, I reckon David Hopkirk might be due a start too.

23 minutes ago, Ancient Warrior said:

If your son doesn't work a bit harder you could get him back in January. He does have some ability, he just needs to use it.

Cheers for that advice I'll pass it on to Ian when I see him.

I'll just judge him on what I witnessed last season .

You've a few over at yours who are hard working but can't play football , judging on highlights some can't pass a ball with one foot never mind two.

The boy that signed for Hurlford ,Dickson is twice the player of any you have on loan and your manager let him go.

You enjoy your season and try and support some of your team instead of a select few .

I won't be taking up the offer of a free ticket from his Dad again as I'd miss my Football to much.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Don't think so. In central midfield we have Thomas Halleran, Wullie Gibson, Jamie McKernon, Dylan Dykes and Marky Munro so I can't imagine there's any need for another one.

I have to say, I do have high hopes for Brandon Luke and think he could be just what we're looking for, providing he gets a run of games.

Regarding your previous point, I reckon David Hopkirk might be due a start too.

What have you seen from Luke that inspires that? I have to say from what I seen of him pre-season, further than being completely anonymous, he just didn't even look interested. Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him get any minutes again tbh.

1 minute ago, Christophe said:

What have you seen from Luke that inspires that? I have to say from what I seen of him pre-season, further than being completely anonymous, he just didn't even look interested. Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him get any minutes again tbh.

His sleeve of tattoos.