St Johnstone v rangers, Sunday 22nd September 2019. 12:15pm

6 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Have to disagree to an extent. The firepower they have in terms of resources means it's not a level field. I didn't see any lack of commitment from the team today. Our players just aren't at the same level of quality and depth of bench and frankly that comes down to cash and not much else.

Whilst I would agree the team applied themselves for large parts it was still garbage. I can accept losing to a better team. What I can't accept is losing stupid goals through basic schoolboy mistakes. All the goals were woeful and you should never ever be conceding a goal from your own free kick or corner. We seem to be making a habit of it.

Bad tactics, bad management.

Of course there’s a vast gulf in resources between us and the Old Firm, but we’ve just had 11 goals pumped past us in the two games this season with no reply. Most of the other teams in the league seem to be able to put up some sort of resistance tbh. 

We were fine first half. Second half started promisingly with the set piece until we - once again - left too few players back and were punished for it. After that we didn't look like getting back in the game and if we're being honest, we were probably lucky to escape with only 4 seeing as Rangers had a stonewall penalty turned down, hit the bar and Morelos missed a chance from about 3 yards out after Ralston's bizarre attempt at a backwards header.

That's our 10th competitive game of the season. We've won 1, drawn 3 and lost 6, which include a 7-0 defeat and a 4-0 defeat at home. We've lost a lot of experience at the back and I'm struggling to see any leadership in our side whatsoever. Kerr is a quality player who will hopefully improve as he gets used to his new role, but being captain seems to be swallowing him up a bit. His performance levels have regressed quite horribly to the point where I'd say Gordon currently looks the more assured player. Ross Callachan's new squad role - filling in on the bench when 2 midfielders are unavailable - fits his level of ability for me. He played one nice pass to Wright in the second half but aside from that he looked every bit the lower league jobber that he probably will end up being after he leaves us.

It was always a tough start and only picking up 1 point in the two home games against Kilmarnock and Livingston hasn't helped us but I do worry about the character in this team in respect of pulling ourselves off the bottom. Yes we've come from behind 3 times this season to secure draws but we've not held a lead in the league all season and have only managed decent performances in fits in a few matches. We got away with that in the past because we were able to get ourselves ahead in matches but this team doesn't seem able to do that. It is worrying.

Edited by Kyle

12 hours ago, Broon_100 said:

Whilst I would agree the team applied themselves for large parts it was still garbage. I can accept losing to a better team. What I can't accept is losing stupid goals through basic schoolboy mistakes. All the goals were woeful and you should never ever be conceding a goal from your own free kick or corner. We seem to be making a habit of it.

Bad tactics, bad management.

Hmm. I think you misunderstand my point. 

This season the only 'lower order' teams to have been reasonalbly successful in stopping Sevco scoring have been St Mirren and Kilmarnock. They did this by resolutely packing their boxes and getting trying to grind out the draw. That's exactly the tactics that fans have criticised TW for employing in the past and in any case it's a hiding to nothing. 

Yesterday, although it was only one up front we did, in the first half at least, try to take the game to the visitors and got caught short at the back. You say that you can accept being beaten by a better team and frankly that's what happened, the better teams in this league have guys like Morellos who only need one chance. The teams that have actually tried to take the game to the OF this year, such as Hibs when they played Sevco and Motherwell against Celtic have shipped 6 and 5 respectively. I'm sure that fans of those teams will say that most of thier goals were lost to 'basic schoolboy mistakes' but, frankly, I'd say that 80% of the goals in this division are described in that way. It's all a bit Alan Hanson. 

But as I'm sure you would agree as most people have done, 4-0 wasn't really a fair reflection of the game. My view is that you try to camp in your own half and lose by a goal or two or try to be more attacking and risk losing by a hatful. 

As it happens I'm more concerned about the other end of the park. We do have a young defence but I think they are good enough for a mid position in the table. I'm much more concerned that we've built our new team around attacking power from the wings and a returning hero strike,  but despite promise and talent they are so far not delivering much in the way of goal threat. 

tldr: I'm not going to get bent out of shape based on a game against a pretty much 1st choice Sevco team that are playing the best football they've played since they reanimated the corpse where we lost out because we tried to go at them a bit. 10 points or more by the end of October, that's what I'm looking for. Let's see where we are when we've had a bit more game time and hopefully a bit of momentum. 

11 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Of course there’s a vast gulf in resources between us and the Old Firm, but we’ve just had 11 goals pumped past us in the two games this season with no reply. Most of the other teams in the league seem to be able to put up some sort of resistance tbh. 

Sorry to double reply but I'm not really seeing this 'resistance' . Yes other teams have lost fewer goals (by parking in their own box) but the reality is Celtic have a perfect win record, as to Sevco with the exception of Celtic. 

Yes goals matter but points decide the table* and nobody is laying a glove on them. Take yesterday as a good example. When Celtic went a goal down nobody, and I mean nobody that was in the crowd I was with thought for one second that it would end up anything other than 3 or 4-1. 

If you exclude the game they played against each other, Celtic are averaging 3.8 goals per game and Sevco 3.2. 

*hope I don't come to regret that when we go 11th on GD. 

*sticks head above parapet*

Cant help but feel folk are being overly misty eyed about our past squads when they're claiming this one lacks "character" that past ones had.

13/14 we lost 4-0 to United then went winless for the next four games (Aberdeen, Hibs, Celtic, Partick), then lost 3-0 to Celtic and went on to lose our next game at home to ICT, for example, yet folk will happily proclaim that a squad full of strong characters and leaders who'd always respond to a poor result instantly. I'm sure we had a season conceding goals from our own set pieces regularly too, a very late goal at Dens from our corner stands out, but I cant remember what season that was.

Poor runs happen, a combination of a horrendous fixture list, and a poor transfer window that led to us never fielding our best 11 players until game 5, has given us a winless run and a place at the bottom. It's too early to know anything about this squad yet, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Kyle Down and Sadford need cheering right up, it's only football lads, take a wee pill and relieve all that stress.

I'm loving life

20190923_145155.thumb.jpg.d14a094f02e8fc2e410cb0989b12c55e.jpg

Saints did their level best to ruin my stag weekend and I'm currently dying on my arse in work.

Kyle Down will be here for a few more days yet.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Saints did their level best to ruin my stag weekend and I'm currently dying on my arse in work.

Kyle Down will be here for a few more days yet.

Let me know when you cheer up so I can start calling you Smyle.

What do you think of these bad boys :lol:
20190923_155813.thumb.jpg.9272e8297f797832fba0e906e46805ab.jpg
yes I have girlie hairless ankles but what a fucking pair of trainers, think I'm officially middle aged.

The f**k is wrong with your leg man. [emoji23][emoji23]

:lol:
as fucked up as my head wee man.

You need to get those legs signed up to that walking football thing! Shed the ankle chub...[emoji23]

I jest Tam, you’re a good lad, questionable choice in foot ware though.