Coaching/Mark Wotte/Dutch system

Burnie_man

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Irish leagues are horrendous, tbf, so I'm not sure its worth reading anything in to any "success" he had there.

More the fact he took Dundalk to the Europa League group stages. That was a relatively huge achievement.

6 minutes ago, Ross. said:

More the fact he took Dundalk to the Europa League group stages. That was a relatively huge achievement.

To do that they beat FH of Iceland and then BATE of Belarus in the Champions League Qualifiers, they then lost to Legia but qualified for the Europa as theyd made it far enough in the CL stage.

Their results were 1-1 then 2-2 with FH, lost 1-0, then won 3-0 to BATE, and then a 2-0 loss and 1-1 draw with Legia.

They won 1 game to qualify for the Europa League Groups. His only "huge" result was the win against BATE and even then the year before theyd only narrowly lost to them on aggregate. BATE lost to Astana of Kazakhstan the same season.

Edited by RandomGuy.

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To do that they beat FH of Iceland and then BATE of Belarus in the Champions League Qualifiers, they then lost to Legia but qualified for the Europa as theyd made it far enough in the CL stage.

Their results were 1-1 then 2-2 with FH, lost 1-0, then won 3-0 to BATE, and then a 2-0 loss and 1-1 draw with Legia.

They won 1 game to qualify for the Europa League Groups. His only "huge" result was the win against BATE and even then the year before theyd only narrowly lost to them on aggregate. BATE lost to Astana of Kazakhstan the same season.

Scottish sides with larger budgets have struggled against teams who would be considered at a similar level to FH and BATE. You can try and talk it down all you want but taking Dundalk to the Europa League group stages was a fantastic achievement.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Scottish sides with larger budgets have struggled against teams who would be considered at a similar level to FH and BATE. You can try and talk it down all you want but taking Dundalk to the Europa League group stages was a fantastic achievement.

Well yes, Scottish sides regularly fail, but I'm not sure winning one game out of six in Europe is a "huge achievement" that should see him massively lauded though.

When they've gone into Europa League Qualifying they didnt make it to the groups, they, literally, only made the groups because they beat BATE in one game. History suggests if they hadnt, theyd have lost in the play off.

To return to the original topic, yes I think there is definitely an identity crisis. The problem we seem to have now is going forward we actually have a lot of talent and players playing at a very good level.

Defensively the team is really weak in every department. Without a decent backline the National side will continue to struggle. 

I do tend to agree young footballers are being brought up to try and be more technical. But from what I’ve seen play can be passive and then simply we have no defensive quality which id hoped steve clarke would’ve brought

We do really struggle as a country to produce footballers from the ages of 18-20. The drop off rate is alarming, not just from pro football but so many just chuck it altogether. There is such a lack of funding towards this age group, football in this country is all focused on the mini kickers to youth. 

So with our lifestyle choices, the pool of players at the top level is fairly slim. I think it’s fair to say that the 19s 21s and senior side have all massively underachieved in recent years. Sadly the lack of vision seems to be affecting us.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 00:18, BTID said:

To return to the original topic, yes I think there is definitely an identity crisis. The problem we seem to have now is going forward we actually have a lot of talent and players playing at a very good level.

Defensively the team is really weak in every department. Without a decent backline the National side will continue to struggle. 

I do tend to agree young footballers are being brought up to try and be more technical. But from what I’ve seen play can be passive and then simply we have no defensive quality which id hoped steve clarke would’ve brought

We do really struggle as a country to produce footballers from the ages of 18-20. The drop off rate is alarming, not just from pro football but so many just chuck it altogether. There is such a lack of funding towards this age group, football in this country is all focused on the mini kickers to youth. 

So with our lifestyle choices, the pool of players at the top level is fairly slim. I think it’s fair to say that the 19s 21s and senior side have all massively underachieved in recent years. Sadly the lack of vision seems to be affecting us.

George Johnson (Feyenoord) and Ryan Porteous (Hibs) were both outstanding at CH against the Czech U21's on Monday, both solid. Add in the fact you've had David Bates, John Souttar and Scott McKenna all coming through the U21's, we have produced a few decent players in that position recently. I believe the U19's are looking good defensively as well.  Here's hoping their development continues.

It was also good to see Scotland play the game on the front foot and be a bit more adventurous away from home, it nearly paid off.

Seen that there are 6 boys names in the latest u-16 squad from performance schools. On the face of it this seems quite a low number when you would assume it is the best of the best in these schools?

Only other caveat I would guess is that boys in club specific performance schools (celtic, any other clubs?) wouldn’t be included in that 6

On 13/10/2019 at 09:06, DAVIDB69 said:

I am sure he said he only trained for an hour before going to Moscow.

I get the feeling there isn’t much training in the squad hence why we are so unfit.

Steven Gerrard complained that the Scotland squad were taken on an 11k run during the last round of fixtures.  We can't simultaneously be doing 11k runs and not working on fitness. In any case, do you have any idea how long it takes to build your cardiovascular endurance?  Steve Clarke won't be able to change that at all for the players in the time he gets. If we're unfit then the players need to look at themselves.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Steven Gerrard complained that the Scotland squad were taken on an 11k run during the last round of fixtures.  We can't simultaneously be doing 11k runs and not working on fitness. In any case, do you have any idea how long it takes to build your cardiovascular endurance?  Steve Clarke won't be able to change that at all for the players in the time he gets. If we're unfit then the players need to look at themselves.

Unless that's all they did during their one hour of training.

Edited by Gordopolis

15 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Steven Gerrard complained that the Scotland squad were taken on an 11k run during the last round of fixtures.  

He didn't. He complained that Jack had done an 11k training session. He went on to say that Jack had played in an Old Firm derby and then 48 hours later he did a double training session with the Scotland squad which exacerbated his knee injury. 

I doubt the double session was two 5.5k runs. It's more likely it was a ball work training session on the pitch where each players movement was measured. 

15 hours ago, geo87 said:

Seen that there are 6 boys names in the latest u-16 squad from performance schools. On the face of it this seems quite a low number when you would assume it is the best of the best in these schools?

Absolutely but it's not really a surprise. 

Consider it this way. If my young Grandson was to become an aspiring footballer who was offered a place at the North Lanarkshire School my advice to his parents would be to knock it back. Braidhurst High School is academically one of the worst performing schools in Scotland (6th worst according to the league tables)  never mind locally and a childs education is way too important to piss away in that way. 

I've said it earlier in the thread but the whole "performance school" pish needs dropped. 

Edited by Malky3

8 hours ago, Malky3 said:

He didn't. He complained that Jack had done an 11k training session. He went on to say that Jack had played in an Old Firm derby and then 48 hours later he did a double training session with the Scotland squad which exacerbated his knee injury. 

I doubt the double session was two 5.5k runs. It's more likely it was a ball work training session on the pitch where each players movement was measured. 

Semantics. The point stands that DAVIDB69 is an idiot if he believes that Clarke is responsible for the players endurance.

9 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Consider it this way. If my young Grandson was to become an aspiring footballer who was offered a place at the North Lanarkshire School my advice to his parents would be to knock it back. Braidhurst High School is academically one of the worst performing schools in Scotland (6th worst according to the league tables)  never mind locally and a childs education is way too important to piss away in that way. 

Does that very crude measure mean that your grandson would be incapable of achieving academic success at that school?  Is every parent that sends their kids to such a school really "pissing away their education"?

On 11/10/2019 at 13:42, Kejan said:

True.

The few bits I've seen of him speak, he comes across very well. He also has some very talented young Irish players coming through just now : Caoimhin Kelleher, Gavin Bazuka, Mazeed Ogungbo, Timi Sobowale , Adam Idah, Troy Parott, Michael Obafemi. I watched the last 25 minutes of their game last night 0-0 with Italy, and played very well. Pretty unlucky not to win the game. 

Not enough is being made of this post. Surely Gavin Bazuka can't be a real name?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Does that very crude measure mean that your grandson would be incapable of achieving academic success at that school?  Is every parent that sends their kids to such a school really "pissing away their education"?

Also, while it may be true that Braidhhurst is one of the poorest schools in Scotland, Holyrood in Glasgow is one of the better ones (82nd Scotland, 5th Glasgow), Grange is the second best in East Ayrshire, Graeme the 3rd best in Falkirk etc. At the risk of encouraging demographic profiling based on zero evidence, is it not a good thing that kids in some of the (probably) poorest parts of Scotland are being given such an exceptional opportunity to host one of only 7 PS schools? Perhaps, given the strong link between deprevation improvement and sport participation, the choice of a poor performing school for this should be lauded rather than criticised?

None of these arguments tell us whether the performance schools do what they purport to do, which is produce excellent footballers though. I guess time will tell, but anecdotally in my opinion the quality of player currently being produced from the PS system looks far superior to those produced in years gone by.

EDIT: Meant to quote Malky in the conversation

Edited by albagubrath

1 minute ago, albagubrath said:

Also, while it may be true that Braidhhurst is one of the poorest schools in Scotland, Holyrood in Glasgow is one of the better ones (82nd Scotland, 5th Glasgow), Grange is the second best in East Ayrshire, Graeme the 3rd best in Falkirk etc. At the risk of encouraging demographic profiling based on zero evidence, is it not a good thing that kids in some of the (probably) poorest parts of Scotland are being given such an exceptional opportunity to host one of only 7 PS schools? Perhaps, given the strong link between deprevation improvement and sport participation, the choice of a poor performing school for this should be lauded rather than criticised?

I agree with your point, but reject absolutely the language of "poorest", "better" and "best" when applied to schools on the basis of such a crude measuring device.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Conversely, are you saying that if he was to attend nearby Dalziel High School, currently 29th best in the country - the catchment area for which he lives in - he would be incapable of achieving football success? What would you prioritise in your childs life? What do you think education should focus on? 

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree with your point, but reject absolutely the language of "poorest", "better" and "best" when applied to schools on the basis of such a crude measuring device.

Agreed, poor language for a complex issue. I tried to couch it by saying 'at the risk of demographically profiling based on zero evidence', but I should probably have said 'deprived'. The area is in the most deprived decile for income, health, education, crime and employment in Scotland.

8 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

None of these arguments tell us whether the performance schools do what they purport to do, which is produce excellent footballers though. I guess time will tell, but anecdotally in my opinion the quality of player currently being produced from the PS system looks far superior to those produced in years gone by

Really? Todays kids are better than Billy Bremner, Kenny Dalglish, Jim Baxter, Jimmy Johnston, Andy Goram, Willie Miller, Alex McLeish, Mo Johnston, Joe Jordan, Graeme Souness, John Wark, Alan Hansen, John Robertson, Frankie and Eddy Gray, Archie Gemmill, Jim Leighton, Ally McCoist etc. Exciting times then. Indeed it almost makes me wonder why Scotland keep getting rogered by any country with a population larger than Paisley