Coaching/Mark Wotte/Dutch system

Burnie_man

Burky great post...

On a similar note I read that Steve Clarke said he barely gets any time to coach the players and impart onto the players what he wishes them to do....I am sure there will be people who say "they are professionals" surely they know that they are doing but for me this kind of demonstrates this is a man who actually WANTS to get things right and get us improving, in that respect isnt it up to the SFA TPTB to help him?  In 2005 I am quite sure that Walter Smith sacrificed pointless friendlies to get the players together for training camps instead, maybe worth doing in the next window to try and get ready for the Play offs? 

We don't have any "pointless friendlies" to cancel. This window and the next two are all qualifiers, and then the next international window is for the play-offs.

The post above is yer da stuff too. The stuff about one up front would only make sense if every other club side country in the world wasn't basically playing the same way for most of that period. And I doubt "BukyOHare" has any insight into how young players are trained at Scottish clubs.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The post above is yer da stuff too. The stuff about one up front would only make sense if every other club side country in the world wasn't basically playing the same way for most of that period. And I doubt "BukyOHare" has any insight into how young players are trained at Scottish clubs.

Wow, just wow. A Largs mafia apologist uncovered.

I generally find if you havent got much to contribute to a subject then you're best not to get involved. Your post clearly doesnt subscribe to that theory, with not even a modicum of meaningful insight offered.

I certainly dont intend to post my specific involvement in the game but rest assured when you're likely to have been tucked up in your bed Ive done my coaching badges and been lucky enough to have been involved in the game to a decent standard both in terms of coaching and scouting / analysis and also have been involved in covering the beautiful game through some written and radio pieces back in the day.

Enough about me, what about you?

In terms of formations, just because "everyone" played the same way (did they actually?) does it means it was alright or played to everyone's strengths? Or doesn't need changing or amending to bring about improvement? Crazy talk.

Clearly nothing to worry about with regards to the national sport as far as you're concerned, I've got my own opinions about how the game should be played and more importantly how I think it could be done, but just incase Im picking you up wrong, Im sure the footballing world holds its breath at your superior wisdom as to how you think things can improve.

Should be masterful reading. 

Edited by BukyOHare

19 hours ago, Kejan said:

Never been sure what to make of Stephen Kenny. Took Dunfermline to the Cup Final and got them relegated on the way. His record at Derry and especially at Dundalk were tremendous. Kind of a low budget Steve Clarke, but with more trophies.

20 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Let's get back to playing with two out and out strikers and letting the opposition worry about us, rather than the other way round.

I've been wanting this for a long time, with the feeling that the 433 high press style game just doesn't suit us. It inevitably turns into a deep 451 and we struggle to create anything in the opponents half. With the way modern fullbacks push on to provide width, having two upfront essentially man for man with the CBs would at the very lest give the other team problems. 

19 minutes ago, FullTimePint said:

I've been wanting this for a long time, with the feeling that the 433 high press style game just doesn't suit us. It inevitably turns into a deep 451 and we struggle to create anything in the opponents half. With the way modern fullbacks push on to provide width, having two upfront essentially man for man with the CBs would at the very lest give the other team problems. 

Listen not for a minute am I saying it would suddenly turn us into world beaters but the safety first mentality of how we're setup has to surely be relaxed.

If only to ensure we're more of a threat when we have the ball and quickly able to win the ball back and harder to break down when we dont have the ball.

We can talk forever about formations but ultimately it comes down to the players on the park to make the right decisions, in and out of possession.

There were times last night when our back 4 were strung along our 18 yard line, that naturally sucks the rest of the team back too.

It all looks a bit cobbled together at the moment, I'm sure Clarke and his backroom team are putting lots of time and effort into it but for a variety of reasons already well documented it just isn't happening for us.

20 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I certainly dont intend to post my specific involvement in the game but rest assured when you're likely to have been tucked up in your bed Ive done my coaching badges and been lucky enough to have been involved in the game to a decent standard both in terms of coaching and scouting / analysis 

Surely to fūck not!

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 13:19, Burnie_man said:

England at youth level are light years ahead of us, a bigger pool talent of course, but they appear to be getting something right.    What are they doing that we are not, it can't all be down to bigger pool talent.

At U21 level we used to perform well, semi-finalists twice and a 4th place in 1996, which was the last time we qualified for an U21 finals. We've rarely been close since.  Good win in Croatia last week, but previous campaign we had to rely on injury time equalisers away to Andorra and home to Latvia.

What they have is a more senior teams and more clubs willing to run youth teams.  And running them better.

I think one of the problems with our coaching is the idea that there is a right way to do it.

My own team St Mirren has produced some great midfielders and decent defenders in recent years. But we have not produced a decent striker or an outstanding centre half in almost 50 years.  Our coaching and mantra produces tidy technical players that look to work well with the team, yes following the largs mafia if you will.

Is it any wonder then that the Scotland team is full of decent midfielders, middling defenders and almost no strikers.

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

Never been sure what to make of Stephen Kenny. Took Dunfermline to the Cup Final and got them relegated on the way. His record at Derry and especially at Dundalk were tremendous. Kind of a low budget Steve Clarke, but with more trophies.

True.

The few bits I've seen of him speak, he comes across very well. He also has some very talented young Irish players coming through just now : Caoimhin Kelleher, Gavin Bazuka, Mazeed Ogungbo, Timi Sobowale , Adam Idah, Troy Parott, Michael Obafemi. I watched the last 25 minutes of their game last night 0-0 with Italy, and played very well. Pretty unlucky not to win the game. 

Aye, just stick two up front to "give them something to think about".  I'm sure they'll have lots of time to think about that when they're dancing through the vast expanses of space that a midfield with one less shitebag in it will allow them.  All we'd be doing is swapping one forward with little service for two.  Sure they're able to provide for each other, but they've actually got to get the ball first, which is something we struggle with.

We need to get away from this one up front being negative nonsense.  It can be, just like 4-4-2 can be negative.  Us struggling to create anything and leaking like a sieve isn't down to where people are standing on a pitch.  The same problems are going to be there if we shove someone else up front, and may well get far worse.

On 10/10/2019 at 13:47, troopio said:

On a similar note I read that Steve Clarke said he barely gets any time to coach the players and impart onto the players what he wishes them to do....I am sure there will be people who say "they are professionals" surely they know that they are doing but for me this kind of demonstrates this is a man who actually WANTS to get things right and get us improving

How is that different to any other European country who have the same number if international dates as us? It's all relative - maybe Clarke isn't getting as much time with the players as he'd like but no one else is either.

Guest DAVIDB69
How is that different to any other European country who have the same number if international dates as us? It's all relative - maybe Clarke isn't getting as much time with the players as he'd like but no one else is either.

I am sure he said he only trained for an hour before going to Moscow.

I get the feeling there isn’t much training in the squad hence why we are so unfit.

8 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I am sure he said he only trained for an hour before going to Moscow.

I get the feeling there isn’t much training in the squad hence why we are so unfit.

Fitness is a club issue. International players will work on tactics at any training.

Which players do you think are unfit and how could that be fixed by an international manager in the time available?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

On 11/10/2019 at 10:07, Ross. said:

The Irish leagues are horrendous, tbf, so I'm not sure its worth reading anything in to any "success" he had there.