St Mirren v Hamilton Accies

4 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

He has still not taken the bye kick,so a few hours yet methinks.

A good point for us considering we played 45 minutes with ten men in that energy sapping heat which entailed a backs to the wall performance second half.

I don't get how St.Mirren fans expected anything different as we were up against it and  have played more attacking in recent games such as Hearts away.

Finally Sam Stubbs fair put that wind up merchant Jim Goodwin in his place at the end of the game after Goodwin made comments about his Dad.Quite what it had to do with him who was Alloa Manager at the time,God knows.

Stubbs J dived near the end of the game rolled about for a few moments then got up and laughed to one of his players.  Goodwin was furious with Stubbs. Stop being a sweetie wife. 

5 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

He has still not taken the bye kick,so a few hours yet methinks.

A good point for us considering we played 45 minutes with ten men in that energy sapping heat which entailed a backs to the wall performance second half.

I don't get how St.Mirren fans expected anything different as we were up against it and  have played more attacking in recent games such as Hearts away.

Finally Sam Stubbs fair put that wind up merchant Jim Goodwin in his place at the end of the game after Goodwin made comments about his Dad.Quite what it had to do with him who was Alloa Manager at the time,God knows.

Goodwin had just got wind that Ross Stewart has now scored more goals than our entire team and he's wondering what might have been if Stubbs could vaguely spot a player, and not let him go to County.

Folk seem to be more annoyed at Stewart being allowed to leave now than they were 12 months ago. Many folk reckoned it was good business getting money for a player who had struggled in the Championship the year before and didn't at the time appear to be good enough for the Premiership.

What confuses me more is that while Stubbs was building a squad of loan players, his own son wasn't one of them. 

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Folk seem to be more annoyed at Stewart being allowed to leave now than they were 12 months ago. Many folk reckoned it was good business getting money for a player who had struggled in the Championship the year before and didn't at the time appear to be good enough for the Premiership.

What confuses me more is that while Stubbs was building a squad of loan players, his own son wasn't one of them. 

I think a lot of us were just desperate for everything to be ok. There were a lot of excuses made for Stubbs in those first couple of months. I was as bad as anyone for it to be honest.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

"Many folk" aren't football managers and rewarded relatively handsomely for their ability to spot a player.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

They said on The Terrace a couple of weeks ago that Boro were torn between signing Josh Heaton and Sam Stubbs, so Alan Stubbs signed Heaton in order for his son to get a good move. 

I have no idea if it's true or they were taking the piss, but I really, really want it to be true. 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I think a lot of us were just desperate for everything to be ok. There were a lot of excuses made for Stubbs in those first couple of months. I was as bad as anyone for it to be honest.

Aye it's the usual stuff when a new manager takes over. I remember a few years ago we all reckoned we'd be fine under Craig once the strikers found their shooting boots. Thank goodness that scenario isn't now being repeated 😶

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

They said on The Terrace a couple of weeks ago that Boro were torn between signing Josh Heaton and Sam Stubbs, so Alan Stubbs signed Heaton in order for his son to get a good move. 

I have no idea if it's true or they were taking the piss, but I really, really want it to be true. 

There's two stories that do the rounds over the Heaton signing - one is so that Boro would sign Stubbs junior, the other is that Stubbs senior was on for a bonus if any Jamie Vardy Academy players got signed by a league club. Both are probably bollocks but are amusing nonetheless.

15 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Just seen sportscene. What was Oakley’s second booking actually for?

What an absolute state that Saint Mirren defender is rolling around holding his face as if he's been smashed in the gob. Absolutely pathetic.

Ludicrous second yellow card for Oakley but hard to make any claims that it changed the game very much and probably worked in Accies favour as it turned what was an abject performance up to the sending off  into a somewhat heroic rear guard performance and a morale boosting point.

It's not that there wasn't some positives with the full defence looking solid with Stubbs in particular outstanding but most of the familiar issues were there - absolutely zero width, midfield missed out with countless aimless long balls, no-one left up the park when defending corners etc.....

All these things I can reluctantly accept but going to our main relegation rivals with a full squad and setting up with zero press and to allow them all the possession and also time waste from 15 minutes was tame to say the least.

Last season we took a comfortable 6 points from our first 2 games with St Mirren and ultimately it proved essential in avoiding the play-offs. Saturday we set up for a point from the off - is Rice really making progress??? 

9 minutes ago, RiG said:

What an absolute state that Saint Mirren defender is rolling around holding his face as if he's been smashed in the gob. Absolutely pathetic.

I wasn't overly impressed with Broadfoot giving him a wee hug of congratulations either - poor!

Ludicrous second yellow card for Oakley but hard to make any claims that it changed the game very much and probably worked in Accies favour as it turned what was an abject performance up to the sending off  into a somewhat heroic rear guard performance and a morale boosting point.
It's not that there wasn't some positives with the full defence looking solid with Stubbs in particular outstanding but most of the familiar issues were there - absolutely zero width, midfield missed out with countless aimless long balls, no-one left up the park when defending corners etc.....
All these things I can reluctantly accept but going to our main relegation rivals with a full squad and setting up with zero press and to allow them all the possession and also time waste from 15 minutes was tame to say the least.
Last season we took a comfortable 6 points from our first 2 games with St Mirren and ultimately it proved essential in avoiding the play-offs. Saturday we set up for a point from the off - is Rice really making progress??? 

Agree with much of this, particularly the part about the sending off working in our favour. We look alright when we have an excuse to be backs-to-the-wall - Celtic, Killie post-red and St Mirren post-red - but the issues are when we actually need to attack. We've missed very few chances, IIRC, which suggests we're clinical, but our chance creation is rather honking.

46 minutes ago, yummy fur said:

Would agree with most of that. Thought St.Mirren looked better against 11.

Don't know why Accies didn't have more of a go.

Crap rule that you can't appeal a 2nd yellow, although it should give Davies a chance to feature against Livi.
I'm not sure he'll get a start after being out for so long. It'll be interesting to see if Moyo is given a go, or one of Alston or Smith is played more advanced with Beck or Hughes coming in. There's also this guy called Mickel Miller who's seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth.

That yellow card was daft, but I've seen reds given for less than his first challenge, so the ref was probably looking for any excuse.

Kyle McAllister could be in trouble for flicking a boot to the face of an Accies player. It's not as bad as one that Scott Brown got away with against us last season, but obviously they play under different rules. 

With Kyle's, it's the unnatural way he lifts/bends his leg. I think he should get cited for it, in all honesty.