Dundee United v Arbroath 21/09/19

At the start of the season I would have marked this down as one of our easier fixtures.  Having played them (and been beaten by them) in the biscuit cup I have changed my mind.

Arbroath look really well organised and they didn’t tire as the game progressed.  Didn’t offer much going forward but a very impressive defensive shape.

Same team as yesterday or Harkes in and Butcher back?  Maybe those at the game yesterday are in a better position to judge.

Not a “must win” but I’ll be disappointed if we lose.  We must get the ball to Shankland.

Any chance United Open more than 1 turnstile this week?

Expecting this to be a much tougher game than the biscuit cup last week. A point here would be fantastic for us. I expect the same XI as Friday tho personally I’d rather see Doris start ahead of Spence. Hopefully Bobby doesn’t have a hard week on the bins and is fighting fit for Saturday.

Butcher at the back for this one, think our centre halves will have a lot of the ball and Brown and Reynolds distribution yesterday was horrendous. Appere was decent on the left yesterday but would much rather have him up top beside Shankland as yesterday gave us a reminder of last season with 1 isolated striker as Pawlett offered nowhere near enough playing at no 10. 

32 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Butcher at the back for this one, think our centre halves will have a lot of the ball and Brown and Reynolds distribution yesterday was horrendous. Appere was decent on the left yesterday but would much rather have him up top beside Shankland as yesterday gave us a reminder of last season with 1 isolated striker as Pawlett offered nowhere near enough playing at no 10. 

Hadn’t realise that we had reverted to one up front yesterday; I had assumed it was Shankland and Appere and hadn’t seen/heard anything to the contrary.  Just when I was beginning to forgive Neilson for his ‘lone striker’ shit from last season too.

Cant fault spence’s work rate and playing up top on your own is very tough but i’d give doris a shot too, not the most clinical but works hard and is good at bullying defenders and getting free kicks

Wins a lot in the air as well which hopefully our wingers could profit from

Agree Doris should start up front Spence done well on Friday a lot of running but seemed to only have a few touches despite that! Made more apparent after re watching on tv. 

( But all of us better watch saying that - 1320lichtie might start calling us all bias 😂🙈 )

A game I might of been dreading at the start of the season I'm now buzzing for! 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Hadn’t realise that we had reverted to one up front yesterday; I had assumed it was Shankland and Appere and hadn’t seen/heard anything to the contrary.  Just when I was beginning to forgive Neilson for his ‘lone striker’ shit from last season too.

Started with 2 up and Pawlett wide but changed it after 10-15 minutes as we started very poorly and I think Neilson hoped the change of shape might improve things. It didn't. 

Arbroath are no mugs and United will need to show the same spirit and determination as the away side.

Neilson needs to go 2 up front. Hopefully he has finally learned that from the Ayr match but I have my doubts.

This could go either way or end in a draw.

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Arbroath are no mugs and United will need to show the same spirit and determination as the away side.

Neilson needs to go 2 up front. Hopefully he has finally learned that from the Ayr match but I have my doubts.

We absolutely destroyed ICT in the first league game by playing high tempo, attacking football.  This is a team who subsequent to that result won three and drew one of their other four games so they’re no mugs.

We cannot revert to the type of formation/tactics that lost us games and points last season when it’s obvious where our strengths lie.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We absolutely destroyed ICT in the first league game by playing high tempo, attacking football.  This is a team who subsequent to that result won three and drew one of their other four games so they’re no mugs.

We cannot revert to the type of formation/tactics that lost us games and points last season when it’s obvious where our strengths lie.

We should be able to overpower most teams in this league by attacking with 2 forwards and 2 wingers, like we did against the Funsters.

I have a bad feeling that a poor result will have Neilson reverting to old ways.

17 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Think your prediction will be correct 🤔🤔

Agree Doris should start up front Spence done well on Friday a lot of running but seemed to only have a few touches despite that! Made more apparent after re watching on tv. 

( But all of us better watch saying that - 1320lichtie might start calling us all bias [emoji23][emoji85] )

A game I might of been dreading at the start of the season I'm now buzzing for! 

It's not nearly the same and you know it

I'd be happy to see Doris play upfront

But if he doesn't, yourself or gone fishing will slag whoever has played upfront.... and if he does and doesn't have a great game the comment will be that there's no creativity in midfield.

There's literally been years of it (obviously it was big litchie before he changed his profile to gone fishing)

All for giving Doris a shot

It's not as if him or any of our strikers have a good scoring record, Doris hasn't scored a league goal for nearly a year, Spence has 0 since joining and Donnelly only has 1

It's not nearly the same and you know it

I'd be happy to see Doris play upfront

But if he doesn't, yourself or gone fishing will slag whoever has played upfront.... and if he does and doesn't have a great game the comment will be that there's no creativity in midfield.

There's literally been years of it (obviously it was big litchie before he changed his profile to gone fishing)

All for giving Doris a shot

It's not as if him or any of our strikers have a good scoring record, Doris hasn't scored a league goal for nearly a year, Spence has 0 since joining and Donnelly only has 1

Excuse me, Luke The Duke Donnelly actually has 2 league goals since signing.