Airdrieonians v Raith Rovers

16 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Great result yesterday, we need to start following it up on the road. I’ll take a draw in this one.

A draw would not be following it up on the road. East Fife have just managed back-to-back wins at Forfar and Montrose. We’ve lost our last two away games.

If we want to mount a challenge for the league title we need to win away games.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

A draw would not be following it up on the road. East Fife have just managed back-to-back wins at Forfar and Montrose. We’ve lost our last two away games.

Yep, no disrespect to Airdrie, they will be tough opponents, but if we want to mount a serious title threat we need to be winning games like this way from home.

The only teams in this league where I'd say a draw away from home is a decent result are Falkirk and East Fife.  If we have title ambitions we need to be looking to win against all the other teams.

Yea I know that. I was meaning it could be a stepping stone or a mere hurdle. We are rancid away from home. Yesterday’s result was amazing. No point saving all your best games for home ties and play like strangers away.

Set up in the same way as we did yesterday and I'd be quietly confident about this one.  I'm a bit unsure if it's too early for us to see Bowie or Dingwall back on the bench but even then we've added a few bodies over the last month or so with Baird still to arrive too. Amazing what a difference a couple of weeks and a signing can do. 

As for Airdrie, they've added some players who've always impressed against us. Eckersley is a class act and Callum Smith always seems to cause our defence difficulties. I noticed Wedderburn was dropped on Saturday, how's he been for you guys? 

And you built a good season on the back of that result, oh, wait you are still here for us to have another go
Can't argue with that to be honest

In all seriousness though, this will be a tough test for us, and with our away from being so unpredictable it's hard to see which Raith team will show up. Hoping we can carry on from yesterday. And with so many of our injured players returning I am starting to get a bit of confidence for the season ahead.

Sometimes I go maybe two, three hours at a time without remembering the end of that game.  It'd be good to exorcise it with a win and a solid performance on Saturday, but Raith are a good side and I've yet to see us really dominate a game in the league this season.  I think a draw would be acceptable, but a win could see us getting into gear for a really good season. 

Set up in the same way as we did yesterday and I'd be quietly confident about this one.  I'm a bit unsure if it's too early for us to see Bowie or Dingwall back on the bench but even then we've added a few bodies over the last month or so with Baird still to arrive too. Amazing what a difference a couple of weeks and a signing can do. 
As for Airdrie, they've added some players who've always impressed against us. Eckersley is a class act and Callum Smith always seems to cause our defence difficulties. I noticed Wedderburn was dropped on Saturday, how's he been for you guys? 

Wedderburn is a waste of a jersey I hope he is not playing on Saturday.

Airdrie and Forfar away are two games would generally be happy with a draw, but after losing 2 out of 3 away games so far (4 out of 5 including league Cup) we need to start winning some. 

There's no excuses, squad has been added to and areas addressed. Yesterday was very very good, important to actually build on that. 

Tricky, because we need to swap players to make the season successful. Sticking with the exact same lineup will bite us, so we need to inject some variety and build for the long haul. I’ll certainly take Munro, keep the Bene, SAndo and Davo back three (thou we need to get a couple of players able to plug in there now and then). Then in the other spots we ideally want a little variety, but it’s so hard to mess with a great thing right now. I guess we need to wait a few games before calling this formation and lineup a success, but it sure feels good right now. Airdrie are on a nice little run right now, LWWLDW, but both losses were on the road. The draw with Falkirk, at home, makes me think this is a 1-3 or 1-2 Raith win.

Edited by TxRover
Autocorrect

2 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

I think a draw would be acceptable, but a win could see us getting into gear for a really good season. 

I would say this is exactly the same from a Rovers point of view. I would be content with a draw but we’d really need to follow that up with a win at Forfar.

A win on the road following up yesterday’s performance would give us a lot of momentum and maybe start to believe we have turned a corner with the change in personnel and formation. 

However, a defeat and we are right back to square one with the same old cycle. Bad away result with questions asked followed up by a confident dominant home win to bring hope going forward followed by by another bad away result. Repeat constantly to the end of the season.

Same team and formation as Saturday, it was the first time in ages I watched us thinking that I couldn’t see us conceding a goal. We also managed to achieve that without sacrificing any attacking threat.  We could potentially have Baird, Bowie and Dingwall all added to the bench too so plenty options to change it.

We didn’t manage back to back clean sheets in the league at all last season so it would be great if we could manage that this weekend. Would also make it 4 in our last 5 in all competitions. I don’t think we will though, Airdrie are a good side and looked to have turned the corner themselves, I will go with 1-1.

Edited by R.R.FC

This makes me happy [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] so one minute we are beneath you next thing a draw against us is a decent result

The only teams in this league where I'd say a draw away from home is a decent result are Falkirk and East Fife.  If we have title ambitions we need to be looking to win against all the other teams.

This makes me happy [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] so one minute we are beneath you next thing a draw against us is a decent result

You’re clearly showing to be a threat this season therefore a draw away to you guys is a good result like Falkirk.

In previous seasons, you were far worse than us which proved in the end therefore a draw wasn’t an acceptable result. Not hard to understand tbh.

I think the implications are exactly the same for both teams in this game tbh.
Win and either team can look forward and really gear up for an exciting season.
Lose and its back to square 1.
I think Vaughan returning is really bad news for Airdrie, he'll have a feeling of "making up" to do after missing so long. And the arrival of Anderson is an absolutely massive bit of business for Raith, I really fancied he would have went to the championship again and would walk into at least 6 first 11's there in all honesty.
I just can't see Airdrie winning, Raith have a seriously stranglehold over us recently and always seem to have our number.
It'll be interesting, but an exciting prospect for both teams.