Romeo

Late notice with this one.

Me and Mrs Romeo are going to Tallinn on Sunday. We only have a few days there and would welcome any info, advice on decent places to eat/drink or things to see. As always Mrs Romeo appreciates a fancy cocktail.

Ta

eta Is it worthwhile doing the hop on hop of sightseeing tour bus?

Edited by Romeo

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

Me and Mrs Romeo are going to Tallinn on Sunday. We only have a few days there and would welcome any info, advice on decent places to eat/drink or things to see. As always Mrs Romeo appreciates a fancy cocktail.

Ta

I've no idea but I was planning a wee trip out there cos I love Eastern Europe. I've heard there's a Depeche Mode bar which might be pretty cool (or totally shite). 

I was also planning on hopping on a ferry and spending the day in Helsinki then firing back to Tallinn in the evening. 

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

Ta

Was there a month or so back. Loved it. There’s lots of good places to eat in and around the old town. Prices, if you choose a touristy place set around the main square, are a few Euros more expensive than away from the square, so not a deal-breaker if you want to sit on the square. It’s not a total rip off, like the touristy hotspots in Paris for example.

Good beers everywhere. The two main ones have adverts for them all over the umbrellas around the square. Cannot remember the name of the one I liked the most, but it wasn’t ‘Le Coq’ - it was the other one.

The hop on hop off bus tour is very good. Get off at the Kadriorg Palace and walk around. There’s also the old Soviet TV tower, which you can go up.

In town, we visited the new maritime (submarine) museum on the waterfront - excellent. Within walking distance of it is another museum, housed in the old Soviet era prison. Chilling, but worth a visit too. Definitely go to Freedom Square too, and take time to look at the displays outlining the Estonian Song Festivals down the years. During Soviet rule, these were important statements of Estonian identity.

A restaurant we ate in, and I can recommend, is Vaike. Check them out at info@rataskaevu16.ee

Hope this helps. Just take time to wander the streets in full. You’ll certainly not be short of choice for eating and drinking. Hope the following link works. Some of my photos...

https://www.facebook.com/100021042426268/posts/372474460130632?sfns=mo

Edited by pozbaird

46 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I've no idea but I was planning a wee trip out there cos I love Eastern Europe. I've heard there's a Depeche Mode bar which might be pretty cool (or totally shite). 

I was also planning on hopping on a ferry and spending the day in Helsinki then firing back to Tallinn in the evening. 

I'll report back and let you know.

32 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If you do manage to get to Troika in the main square and you also happen to meet an Irish taxi driver, see if you can get my wife's camera and my Benetton jacket back. 

I'll sort that for you, for a small fee.

17 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Was there a month or so back. Loved it. There’s lots of good places to eat in and around the old town. Prices, if you choose a touristy place set around the main square, are a few Euros more expensive than away from the square, so not a deal-breaker if you want to sit on the square. It’s not a total rip off, like the touristy hotspots in Paris for example.

Good beers everywhere. The two main ones have adverts for them all over the umbrellas around the square. Cannot remember the name of the one I liked the most, but it wasn’t ‘Le Coq’ - it was the other one.

The hop on hop off bus tour is very good. Get off at the Kadriorg Palace and walk around. There’s also the old Soviet TV tower, which you can go up.

In town, we visited the new maritime (submarine) museum on the waterfront - excellent. Within walking distance of it is another museum, housed in the old Soviet era prison. Chilling, but worth a visit too. Definitely go to Freedom Square too, and take time to look at the displays outlining the Estonian Song Festivals down the years. During Soviet rule, these were important statements of Estonian identity.

A restaurant we ate in, and I can recommend, is Vaike. Check them out at info@rataskaevu16.ee

Hope this helps. Just take time to wander the streets in full. You’ll certainly not be short of choice for eating and drinking. Hope the following link works. Some of my photos...

https://www.facebook.com/100021042426268/posts/372474460130632?sfns=mo

Great advice, we plan to do a lot of just wandering around. Not on facebook will get the wife to check out your pictures. later.

Also if you get a chance (and it still exists), go visit the Saku brewery (https://www.inyourpocket.com/tallinn/Saku-Brewery_50515v)

Mate had his wedding reception there and it was pretty cool, although that was in about 2006 so it could have all gone to shit by now.

Fairly compact and easy city to walk about in.

Hell Hunt, Olde Hansa, Beer House were our favourite bars, Depeche Mode bar was fine, but after you've heard "Just Can't Get Enough" for the 3rd time, you probably will have had enough. We found Tallinn to be more expensive than Prague, Gdansk, Bratislava and Krakow, our only other city breaks in Central Europe.

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Toompea Castle and Town Walls and the city centre in general are worth a visit.

Didn't really go much further afield than the centre as it was minus 26 degrees when we were there.

Agreed the maritime museum is very good however the Depeche Mode Bar was pish. There is one in Riga as well.

Tallinn is nice enough but much more expensive that I ever expected. Will be nice with the Mrs but not one to go and get blootered.

The hipster/student area is quite good for something a bit different. 

On 11/09/2019 at 11:56, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If you do manage to get to Troika in the main square and you also happen to meet an Irish taxi driver, see if you can get my wife's camera and my Benetton jacket back. 

I had one of the worst meals of my life in Troika. Red caviar. It just tasted salty and fishy, like a mouthful of jizz.

6 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I had one of the worst meals of my life in Troika. Red caviar. It just tasted salty and fishy, like a mouthful of jizz.

Aye had some that fateful night with blini.

Cant comment on the jizz comparison however.

On 11/09/2019 at 11:56, Melanius Mullarkey said:

But if shitter when she pulls an irish gypsy taxi drivers keys out the bowl. The camera probably has some compromising photos on it, probably plastered all over the internet by now though.

8 minutes ago, Romeo said:
13 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
The wife is asking if you got her camera?

I'll give her it back next time I see her.

Excellent.  There will possibly be a few photos left on the film so maybe be careful if you plan on getting them developed in Boots.