Raith v Glenavon

steakngravy

Really feel for Glenavon there. Linesman flags for offside as Bowie goes clean through, but the ball is as played by a defender. Everybody stops, including Bowie, until the referee waves the flat down. Easy square ball for the tap in.

Christ, though, that should've been a damn sight easier than it was. Glenavon are very technically limited, but the Rovers didn't create anywhere near enough in the second half.

Glenavon were a thoroughly unlikeable, cynical team and for that reason alone I'm disappointed we didn't put five or six p past them.

I thought Armstrong and Baird looked a bit off the pace at times so the playing time will have done them good. Same with Dingwall.

From that point of view the game has been useful.

It's a game we should have won by 4. Players seemed to take the foot off the pedal once they realised the standard they were playing wasnt great. Barely got out of second gear from then. Bowie could have had 4 himself today, great that he's getting himself in these positions but just needs to be more clinical, which will come with time. Hopefully Andersons injury isn't too serious and he is back in a similar time frame that munro has been.

39 minutes ago, grumswall said:
59 minutes ago, Frank conner said:
At least we know Welsh officials are as bad as ours.

He was probably better than alot of the ones we have, but that isn't saying much.

Watching overall he was quite good. For the first 60 minutes or so it was a pretty flowing game with the referee avoiding calls to keep the game running smoothly. Necessary calls were made, but nothing to bog the game down. Then Glenavon seemed to get a little bad tempered and the ref was suddenly in there with calls and cards, and they seemed reasonable well selected.

Now, the final goal. Glenavon have a right to be pissed off, that was a fiasco worthy of the best SFA referees that we’ve seen.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Watching overall he was quite good. For the first 60 minutes or so it was a pretty flowing game with the referee avoiding calls to keep the game running smoothly. Necessary calls were made, but nothing to bog the game down. Then Glenavon seemed to get a little bad tempered and the ref was suddenly in there with calls and cards, and they seemed reasonable well selected.

Now, the final goal. Glenavon have a right to be pissed off, that was a fiasco worthy of the best SFA referees that we’ve seen.

theirs a old saying in football. allways play to the whistle. you saw the playback and the ref was correct to wave play on. the ball clearly came off a glenavon player so their was no offside. glenavon have only got themselves to blame.

Edited by Varna Rover
typo

I think that's the second time I've seen the Rovers score a goal like that. I can't recall many details about the other, but it was at the North end of Stark's.

It's a tough one, because I don't think anyone's actually wrong. The linesman is flagging because Bowie's in an offside position, but the referee's better placed to see that Dingwall didn't play the pass. It's easy to say "play to the whistle", and fundamentally that's true, but everyone stops when the flag goes up, naturally. You only need to look at Bowie, to see that.

At least it wasn't truly game changing, I wouldn't feel great about winning a game like that.

However, that said, Glenavon were getting very worked up well before that. A lot of bookings for dissent in a game played in honour of a biscuit.

First half was good. That second half was absolutely fucking rubbish, though. We look so disjointed as a 4-4-2. I’d be tempted to get McKay in and go back to 3-5-2 next week v Clyde. I thought we were quite unprofessional second half today which isn’t something I thought I’d say about this side. Glenavon were about as good as a junior outfit and we strolled about the park with zero intensity toiling to finish them off. Number 6 for them wouldn’t look out of place in a Sunday amateur side in the Bevy park.

Munro’s save was superb in the first half. A real Dave McGurn special. MacDonald continues to impress and was pretty unlucky at the goal. Davidson won absolutely everything and was my MoM. Bowie scored but missed a few chances with powderpuff shots and Hendry got his foot on it and pretty much everything went through him. Other than that we were off the pace.

Trying not to be too negative but we could’ve taken 6 or 7 off them today if we’d been a bit more thorough in our application. Hope Anderson is ok and it’s not a broken collar bone or anything. Our luck with injuries really never ceases to amaze me.

Glenavon turned the second half into a scrap, and we showed no interest in getting involved with that, which I am more than happy with. Not great entertainment, but easily good enough to win the game with no fuss. 

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Unprofessional is too far actually, I take that back.

It was really disappointing given how dominant we were early doors, but Glenavon were very cynical and verging on hammer throwing. I think the intent was see the game out without getting involved in anything, which we did in the end 

Munro was very hesitant to leave his line today which is Imo why we actually conceded the goal. He made up for it with the save he made but balls into his 6 yard box need to be claimed. Macdonald thankfully doesn't seem to have been injured badly in this and he must obviously take some of the blame for allowing the striker to be the wrong side of him etc. Sando did have a go at munro for not coming out to collect the ball a couple of times aswell. There's only been a couple of times iv noticed him being so tied to his line and both times Scott Thomson has been at the game.

Eta: glenavon are an absolute gang and we should have won far more comfortably than we did. Tuffey must be some age to still be playing? Still seemed good enough to be playing at our level though.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Davidson won absolutely everything and was my MoM

Yep,some are quick to jump in and slag him and criticise him”,hes pish,shouldnt have been given another contract “etc etc  but that some are not  forthcoming in praising him

Edited by Rovers_Lad