where next? Who next? what next?

ForzaFifer

Its a tough time to be a Scotland fan.

For me, its blatantly obvious our defence is totally crap.

What hope do have of qualifying for anything when its so easy to score against us? Some of the players we used to all rip, the likes of Caldwell would breeze his way into this current squad. I think we have a good midfield, and when Griffiths is back, we have at least one quality striker (but we need more).

Are there any players out there who can make a real difference? i know we were missing McKenna and Souttar, i'm not totally convinced by them either, is there anyone else? Do we seriously not have any other RB's? 

Why do our players look so nervous all the time? Maybe we need a psychologist on staff :)

Guest DAVIDB69

The fact that Robertson says he and the other players were nervous the other night against Russia is shocking .

The obsession with crap Scottish born Managers holds us back as well, Bertie Vogt was a long time ago now and he used to get us to some play offs .

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

the problem is that modern players are overpaid pampered bone idle shagbags.

A spell running up and doon thae Gullane sand dunes giving 110% would do the buggers some good.

Thats hardly unique to Scotland, it doesnt hold back other countries

5 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

The fact that Robertson says he and the other players were nervous the other night against Russia is shocking .

The obsession with crap Scottish born Managers holds us back as well, Bertie Vogt was a long time ago now and he used to get us to some play offs .

That was shocking, but why did they feel like that? We need to solve that or those performances will keep happening.

What international superstar managers would go anywhere near the Scotland job? We cant afford them, I still believe Clark will come good, needs a bit more time, he hasnt had the easiest run of fixtures.

On 10/09/2019 at 15:17, ForzaFifer said:

Thats hardly unique to Scotland, it doesnt hold back other countries

That was shocking, but why did they feel like that? We need to solve that or those performances will keep happening.

What international superstar managers would go anywhere near the Scotland job? We cant afford them, I still believe Clark will come good, needs a bit more time, he hasnt had the easiest run of fixtures.

Watched Robertson playing for Liverpool just now. I think the problem is the Scotland players don't trust each other. I remember years back my favourite ice hockey team had an amazing attack, a good defence and a shockingly bad goaltender. They would win a lot of games in the early part of the season, but when it came to the crunch they would stop attacking because they were worried what would happen if they lost the puck. I think there's a lot of that issue with Scotland even during one match. Against Russia and Belgium they started great, but as soon as the opponent started attacking they fell to bits.

I think Clark just needs time. There is plenty of potential in midfield and maybe Griffiths can  be our David Healy...who knows.

In defence hopefully McKenna and Souttar can plug the hole in the middle until a couple from Porteous, Morrison at Bayern, Johnstone at Feyenoord or McIntyre at Reading come through. These guys all look like great prospects but knowing our luck they'll either all not come good or they will all be world class but Marshall will retire and we will be without a decent keeper for 10 years and we'll still have no right back.

Getting Fredericks in would be a great step if he can be convinced and I'm sure Lindsay would be worth a look albeit Stoke aren't excelling at the moment.

21 hours ago, Mr.Bojangles said:

Watched Robertson playing for Liverpool just now. I think the problem is the Scotland players don't trust each other. I remember years back my favourite ice hockey team had an amazing attack, a good defence and a shockingly bad goaltender. They would win a lot of games in the early part of the season, but when it came to the crunch they would stop attacking because they were worried what would happen if they lost the puck. I think there's a lot of that issue with Scotland even during one match. Against Russia and Belgium they started great, but as soon as the opponent started attacking they fell to bits.

This seems like a good insight to me. A do think there is also a lack of leadership on the field. Robbo can't carry the team on his own and he's not a snarler. We don't have any strong personalities in that team.