Kris Boyd - 'Football is now a Middle Class sport'

AyrTroopMajor

13 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Scots love a bogeyman to blame. It’s the middle classes fault now?

Add the middle classes to playstations, mobile phones, McDonalds, etc.

Deary me.

he never said it was the middle classes fault, he said football had became a middle class sport, that is not their fault the stupid wee middle class wanks

13 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Scots love a bogeyman to blame. It’s the middle classes fault now?

Add the middle classes to playstations, mobile phones, McDonalds, etc.

Deary me.

Yes, we're probably looking for answers which don't exist. Belgium themselves had fallen much lower than ourselves over the past 20 years and the thing about being a small nation is that your relative success is cyclical.

I suppose our biggest problem is that on paper (and I know football's not played on paper) we should be doing better than we are with what we have available and at least as well as the likes of Northern Ireland and the Republic, given their playing staff.

It's hard to accept, but nowadays we're a small backwater in footballing terms and achieving a pot 3 ranking and pulling off the odd result against the higher ranked teams is probably the best we can hope to achieve............

Same pish every time.
They don’t play in the streets in the rest of Europe either anymore, football is expensive in the rest of Europe too.

I guess we probably have 2 problems. 1) we as a nation are auld and set in our ways , change of any kind whatsoever is most often met with “ aw f**k off & what is this shite noo“ by large sections of the population.

The sfa are too cliquey to be effective

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Same pish every time.
They don’t play in the streets in the rest of Europe either anymore, football is expensive in the rest of Europe too.

I guess we probably have 2 problems. 1) we as a nation are auld and set in our ways , change of any kind whatsoever is most often met with “ aw f**k off & what is this shite noo“ by large sections of the population.

The sfa are too cliquey to be effective

BRING BACK COAL MINES AND NATIONAL SERVICE.

in all honesty its a variety of things , some of the things boyd said does make sense but thats just one part of it. 

There are a number of things I was thinking about this but I’m in my iPad so will probably type it all out horribly.

What is the evidence that kids don’t want to play football anymore? Do less children play organised football now than twenty years ago? How about non-organised football, I’m not sure if there’s any way to measure that. Have playing fields and parks disappeared to a large extent? When I think back to where we played football when I was a kid the pitches inInverness are still there, I do know that others have gone.

There’s also a healthy doss of good old Yer Da about,stuff like this - these daft kids with their video games and their gender neutral hair, they don’t know their born. The world changes, when I was a kid we did stuff that my parents used to moan about, it’s the same with kids,today. Moaning about children having x-box won’t make anyone any better at football. I realise that people are joking but you can see this mentality in some of the comments on this thread.

19 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

he never said it was the middle classes fault, he said football had became a middle class sport, that is not their fault the stupid wee middle class wanks

Read between the lines. He’s finding something else to blame for our footballing inadequacies. 

I can’t remember being wee, but I have kids and being one of the middle class bourgeoisie b*****ds he blames, I can confirm that I have to pay approx. £20 a month per skull for any type of sports club, whether that’s swimming, gymnastics, football or whatever. 

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There are a number of things I was thinking about this but I’m in my iPad so will probably type it all out horribly.

What is the evidence that kids don’t want to play football anymore? Do less children play organised football now than twenty years ago? How about non-organised football, I’m not sure if there’s any way to measure that. Have playing fields and parks disappeared to a large extent? When I think back to where we played football when I was a kid the pitches inInverness are still there, I do know that others have gone.

There’s also a healthy doss of good old Yer Da about,stuff like this - these daft kids with their video games and their gender neutral hair, they don’t know their born. The world changes, when I was a kid we did stuff that my parents used to moan about, it’s the same with kids,today. Moaning about children having x-box won’t make anyone any better at football. I realise that people are joking but you can see this mentality in some of the comments on this thread.

gender nuetral morons

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Read between the lines. He’s finding something else to blame for our footballing inadequacies. 

I can’t remember being wee, but I have kids and being one of the middle class bourgeoisie b*****ds he blames, I can confirm that I have to pay approx. £20 a month per skull for any type of sports club, whether that’s swimming, gymnastics, football or whatever. 

my wee brother and his crew are all middle class, never struggled for anything, they wont even drink outdoors? what is the world coming to?  i should send him down the coal mines.

He makes a valid point about prices for pitches, but in grass areas where we played football, you just don't see kids out anymore (I'm 25 btw). Not sure how good that makes us at football tbh, but might have something to do with it ie not practicing or playing it as much as possible. 

Although, in saying that, near enough every day you see kids out kicking a ball in the street I now stay at. I think there is much more issues at hand than kids not kicking a baw about in the street, however. It seems the world of football has progressed in the way they nurture kids that want to play football as a hobby, whereas we don't seem to have done that.  

Edited by DAFC.

I think there's a really good point in the midst of what Kris Boyd said. 

For a myriad of reasons, football has become predominantly a paid for sport played on astrograss pitches. For reasons of equipment costs, transport, and relying on parents (etc), this makes it difficult for many kids to get fully involved. In many cases it's the wealthier, middle class kids who are given the best chance of developing their skills - not only because of the parental/financial support, but also because of things like having a back garden big enough to practice with a football in. 

I kind of think we have to accept the societal/cultural  shift away from playing football in the streets (I don't think it's coming back) but the SFA (and the Scottish Government) needs to make sure that it's investing money to make sure that more kids are able to play more football. In many deprived areas, where money does go in for other things, there is often absolutely nothing done to encourage involvement in football. Councils and the SFA creates summer camps, etc. which are completely useless for many kids in these areas. In many cases they have no idea how to properly engage with these kids. 

I think the problem is linked to the education system where too much pressure is put upon those running the schools and the teachers within to achieve results (both academic and behaviourally) that are seen as being successful but not really helping the young people that attend in real life terms. 

The result is that these young people are took through the system without building much in the way of individual resilience, as the concept of failure/adversity (in various different areas) and how to not only overcome it but use it the their advantage isn't there for them.  The problem's similar to Unis and employers complaining about the calibre of school leaver they're getting now.   Young ones in the UK may be more inclined to spend excessive time on their phones, PS4 etc than dedicating themselves to training and the rough and tumble that comes with playing a physical sport.

All countries have social media, video games, shit TV programmes etc. and many have equally as shite, if not worse weather so the issue runs deeper than that.  Watching and playing football is expensive here but wages are decent compared to other Euro countries afaik.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, we're probably looking for answers which don't exist. Belgium themselves had fallen much lower than ourselves over the past 20 years and the thing about being a small nation is that your relative success is cyclical.

I suppose our biggest problem is that on paper (and I know football's not played on paper) we should be doing better than we are with what we have available and at least as well as the likes of Northern Ireland and the Republic, given their playing staff.

It's hard to accept, but nowadays we're a small backwater in footballing terms and achieving a pot 3 ranking and pulling off the odd result against the higher ranked teams is probably the best we can hope to achieve............

I agree with you regarding us looking decent enough on paper. I look at that NI squad which competed well with Germany and on paper it’s a shambles. On the pitch however it’s pretty good. I think if we can get Tierney in at right back and find a decent central defensive pairing we’ll definitely improve. 

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Which is obviously going to price out many, many kids. Not to mention the kids with the parents who either don't care enough, or aren't well enough to do anything about it. 

is diet still a problem in scotland ? it seems youngsters have improved in that sense from what i can see now, people used to  eat chippies on the way to my school in the morning. mental.

not saying that is an issue when it comes to football ability but just a general opinion on our society

Edited by DanMc99