Kris Boyd - 'Football is now a Middle Class sport'

AyrTroopMajor

Boyd was superb for Killie in both spells and for for Rangers in his first spell there. He was a wage thief in his second Rangers spell. His forays to England and abroad were failures and he was bang average internationally. IIRC his scoring record for Rangers in Europe and against Celtic was shite also. 

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We need to have every player give a detailed socio-economic profile so we know if Scottish football is becoming too middle class.

Random bag searches should be sufficient to weed them out.

Anyone caught with a bag of Kale & Mozzarella gourmet curls and/or a humus snack pot with raw, organic, dipping vegetable batons is ripe for corrective measures. 

Nothing a session of run the gauntlet or having   several mitre multiplex footballs  (the brown ones with the dimples) fired at them on a cold winter day wouldn’t sort out. 

A few years of this and we will be back to producing  Souness and Dalgliesh. MK II. I am sure Kris would be up for that.

7 hours ago, Tartantony said:

Definitely no chance that’s true.

My son, who is 5 years old was part of a football club earlier in the year. Saturday mornings at the local community club in Clydebank. We were told if he wanted to continue with them they were moving it to Johnstone (Paisley) so they can be part of a competitive league. Something mental like 2 training sessions and a game every week. 5 years old and for him to play I’d need to find a way to get him to Johnstone 3 times a week. I find the idea of competitive football at 5 years old mental. Get them passing and controlling the ball first, then some 2 or 3 aside.

It's a business now. The big boys clubs have full time employees and it's all about increasing turnover.

8 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Boyd was superb for Killie in both spells and for for Rangers in his first spell there. He was a wage thief in his second Rangers spell. His forays to England and abroad were failures and he was bang average internationally. IIRC his scoring record for Rangers in Europe and against Celtic was shite also. 

He had a great goalscoring instinct but like most poachers he had a level above which he was unable to deliver.  His lack of athleticism allowed top class defenders to snuff him out. I'm not sure how much athleticism can be trained into somebody that doesn't have it though.

21 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Same pish every time.
They don’t play in the streets in the rest of Europe either anymore, football is expensive in the rest of Europe too.

Football is quite cheap here. Probably the main driver in Switzerland going from being absolute jobbers to tournament regulars. No surprise that the majority of the names on the team sheet are "Sekondos", basically the offspring of folk who moved here in early 90's, whether by choice or not. Facilities are second to none and most of the schools will have open playgrounds and football parks which you still see folk using in the evenings and at weekends. If you want to play in an organised team it still costs money, but when compared to other popular sports here(Ice Hockey, Skiing, Cycling) it is far far cheaper to get involved in and stay involved in. Which goes back to the immigrants and them taking up the sport beyond following their favourite team from a distance.

Attitude here is very different mind you and people are definitely more likely to knuckle down and try and do their best when they hit their mid to late teens, even those who aren't close to the top level. Much more accepted here not to be a raging jakeball tanning 3 litres of cider down the park on a Friday/Saturday night, and actively encouraged to work hard and show how good you can be.

11 hours ago, Skinheed said:

52,000 cared for a friendly on Friday.

Hampden needed two important matches to get that.

The Cheeky Song sold 400,000 copies in the UK.

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

SFA conducting a full review into youth development now because Kris Boyd thinks it's too expensive to hire a pitch at the Powerleague.

Our governing body have no backbone whatsoever. 

It's claimed there's rising support within the governing body for leaving youth development exclusively to Scotland's clubs. The SFA spends £700,000-a-year on seven flagship performance schools and they could come under the microscope.

SFA directors  plan to assess how much value a performance spend of £3 million a year really delivers.

In 2017, the SFA launched Project Brave, created in consultation with clubs and designed to overhaul the youth system. It included the introduction of a Reserve League which a number of top flight clubs, including Celtic and Rangers, have already decided to boycott.

Celtic, Rangers and Hearts prefer to devote resources to their own academies and senior SFA figures now believe this is the way ahead for young players.

Chief executive Ian Maxwell has been looking at ways to streamline association functions and that process is likely to quicken.

14 hours ago, Kuro said:

Boyd himself is the perfect example of why we are shit, there's a guy with a talent who.was given an opportunity to become a top player.  A combination of laziness and lack of professionalism saw him.never realise his potential, did nothing whatsoever at the top level and spent his career scoring against utter jobbers like St Johnstone.

There is no doubt whatsoever that guys like Boyd and Derek Riordan had the talent to play for a team like Liverpool or Sevilla.  We produce them, the problem is why do they end up at Hibs instead.  It's a mindset thing.

I never thought I'd say this, but Pep is spot on here.

52,000 cared for a friendly on Friday.

Hampden needed two important matches to get that.
52,000 went to the game, a fraction of that actually cared.

I used to walk past departing Scotland rugby crowds quite regularly and it was the same atmosphere regardless of the result.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What did he say?

Regarding coaching : instead of teaching kids to pass to a cone under no pressure then follow their pass, there should be more in game scenarios and that on the continent sports science is brought in as young as 9/10 years old. You don't get anythi g like that here until much later, hence why De Bruyne etc just throw McGregor about.

On McTominay : basically, he's nothing special. He doesn't pass forward, he doesn't run, he doesn't shout. He just stands in the middle of the park and plays passes to his full backs or his centre half. He said if he could be a youngster now in Scotland he'd be a full back or centre half as that's all midfielders pass the ball to. Youth football is full of players like Scott McTominay. 

1 hour ago, Dele said:

Regarding coaching : instead of teaching kids to pass to a cone under no pressure then follow their pass, there should be more in game scenarios and that on the continent sports science is brought in as young as 9/10 years old. You don't get anythi g like that here until much later, hence why De Bruyne etc just throw McGregor about.

On McTominay : basically, he's nothing special. He doesn't pass forward, he doesn't run, he doesn't shout. He just stands in the middle of the park and plays passes to his full backs or his centre half. He said if he could be a youngster now in Scotland he'd be a full back or centre half as that's all midfielders pass the ball to. Youth football is full of players like Scott McTominay. 

Si Ferry 🤣

I'd prefer the opinion of Mourinho or Steve Clarke tbh.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

On the coaching I'd tend to agree with him. 

The McTominay stuff is just ignorant, that's exactly the type of player he is - protection for the back four and keep the ball. If our youth squads are producing too many of these types of players then I'd suggest the finger can be pointed at coaching again.

14 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There is absolutely doubt that those guys could have played for those clubs, but anyway, your overall point is nonsense if taken as a reason why we aren't any good at football.

Scots are no different from any other country in that you will have players who aren't as professional and some players who are. For every Boyd and Riordan there is a Darren Fletcher and Andy Robertson - guys who squeezed every last bit out of their potential by working their arse off and being professional.

You think other countries don't have players who weren't as professional as they should have been? George Best? Le Tissier? Any number of the latest 'wonderkids' from around the world who end up nowhere? I, and I'm sure you, could literally list hundreds of non-Scots who wasted their potential.

Or to reverse the point, when we were relatively decent in the 60/70/80s and had world class players, you think they were all professional and led a great lifestyle? Players regularly drank 2-3 times a week back then. So if our lack of professionalism is the reason we are rubbish then we should see an increasing trend in unprofessionalism as we have got worse. What we've seen is the opposite, players are far more professional now yet we are worse.

Laziness and lack of professionalism are undoubtedly reasons why certain individuals don't make it to the level they should, but that is not country specific, those traits exist everywhere, there is no evidence that it exists more in Scotland than anywhere else. Just giving a few Scots as named examples doesn't make it a Scottish problem.

I suppose the Belgian example emphasises the importance of education as well as football. Maybe it's coincidence but Ryan Fraser and Andy Robertson have been arguably the highest profile Scots in recent times and, unless I'm missing anyone, come across as unusually bright as Scottish footballers go. They've been bright enough to hold their own in a very high pressure environment with high-profile, bright coaches. Go through the Belgian team and it's full of multilingual guys with degrees. The players can walk into any dressing room in Europe and soon hold their own. Scottish guys usually can't. Even an English League One or Championship setup can be too big a leap from the comfort zone of pals/booze etc. Being good academically won't help you control the ball but it can help with dealing with pressure, understanding instructions, self belief. 

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I suppose the Belgian example emphasises the importance of education as well as football. Maybe it's coincidence but Ryan Fraser and Andy Robertson have been arguably the highest profile Scots in recent times and, unless I'm missing anyone, come across as unusually bright as Scottish footballers go. They've been bright enough to hold their own in a very high pressure environment with high-profile, bright coaches. Go through the Belgian team and it's full of multilingual guys with degrees. The players can walk into any dressing room in Europe and soon hold their own. Scottish guys usually can't. Even an English League One or Championship setup can be too big a leap from the comfort zone of pals/booze etc. Being good academically won't help you control the ball but it can help with dealing with pressure, understanding instructions, self belief. 

I have never got the impression that Ryan Fraser is the brightest guy about.

I wonder if our current ineptitude as a footballing nation has anything to do with the fact that most Scottish people who are interested in football support one of the Cheeks and thus are used to sitting comfortably and watching a popular, winning team without contributing anything to it themselves while obsessing over their big rivals.

Scotland on the other hand never win anything, can't solve our problems by just buying Lithuania or Georgia's top striker when he scores against us, and don't have a motivating big rival to speak of (England are miles above our level and don't take us seriously).