Scotland squad next month

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This suggestion that we "create absolutely nothing" is nonsense. We were clearly outplayed by Russia, but still spent a decent amount of the game in their third of the pitch - particularly in the first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes. We had several counter-attacks, a reasonable number of crosses from wide areas, low balls across the box, possession 30 yards out etc, and it's McBurnie's job as the centre-forward to make the appropriate runs and get into positions to score. I'm not sure he did that well enough.

The same was true in his first start against Costa Rica, and then again in Kazakhstan, where once more we did have plenty of the ball and plenty of possession in attacking positions once we were 2-0 down.

When we're on the back foot, the job of the striker is also to link up play, and he wasn't great at that either. He was obsessed with playing little flicks around the corner and almost never just held the ball and laid it off or tried to turn his marker.

That's not me writing him off completely or anything like that, but there has been absolutely zero from him so far to suggest that he is suddenly going to become effective if we can just get an extra 10 yards up the field or whatever.

Craig?

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This suggestion that we "create absolutely nothing" is nonsense. We were clearly outplayed by Russia, but still spent a decent amount of the game in their third of the pitch - particularly in the first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes. We had several counter-attacks, a reasonable number of crosses from wide areas, low balls across the box, possession 30 yards out etc, and it's McBurnie's job as the centre-forward to make the appropriate runs and get into positions to score. I'm not sure he did that well enough.

The same was true in his first start against Costa Rica, and then again in Kazakhstan, where once more we did have plenty of the ball and plenty of possession in attacking positions once we were 2-0 down.

When we're on the back foot, the job of the striker is also to link up play, and he wasn't great at that either. He was obsessed with playing little flicks around the corner and almost never just held the ball and laid it off or tried to turn his marker.

That's not me writing him off completely or anything like that, but there has been absolutely zero from him so far to suggest that he is suddenly going to become effective if we can just get an extra 10 yards up the field or whatever.

I've been a defender of mcburnie but I'd agree with most of that.

The service wasn't great, but he didn't do much to get himself in the right positions or make the right runs to create the space.

Which is the exact opposite of russia's big centre forward was doing, he played himself into the game with his strength and movement.

McBurnie has started 5 games for Scotland. Costa Rica, Mexico, Portugal, Kazakhstan and Russia. In every single one of those games we have struggled to create a lot of chances. In the Russia game in particular the midfield were fucking miles off it.

I don't think McBurnie is a world beater but Scotland fans have come to the conclusion he's absolutely shite because they are judging him on 5 appearances, mostly against stronger opposition, whilst leading the line for an absolute gang of a Scotland team who don't spend much of any game on the front foot bar when we play the minnow nations.

I don't think McBurnie is great but he's got all the hall marks of being a scapegoat for the Teuchter "gie Shankland and Jason Kerr a run oot eh" types:

- Born in England

- Never played in Scotland

- Rangers fan

- Fashion choice (socks round the ankles)

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

People who are saying he is gash are basing that on a handful of performances for an utterly woeful Scotland squad, who create absolutely nothing. He quite clearly isn't gash. I'm not entirely sure what folk expect him to do with zero support whilst he farts about up top himself, completely isolated.

Scotland have a multitude of players who perform well for club but don't replicate it for country. Quite why McBurnie gets far more stick than the rest of them is beyond me.

Ok then, I watched him very closely against Russia as I was sat up the end of the ground we were shooting into. When things weren't going for him, I didn't see him shutting down defenders and harassing them to get the ball back, I saw him kind of meandering about in that awkward style he has, now I am aware its maybe not part of his game or his strength but I consider this to be an absolute for a lone frontman in a Scotland side so maybe that is then down to Clarke to tell him to do that or look at other options or maybe he just needs more games.

I hope I am wrong but I don't think he will be the answer to our forward problems and will be amazed if gets over 25 caps and scores double figures. 

Agree with your second point, the Robertson's and the McGinn's seem to get away with it a bit more if they chuck in average to poor performances. Unfortunately the nature of the beast is that Strikers are under more scrutiny. 

19 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Not gonna start a thread.

Scotland have been allocated 2400 tickets for the EURO qualifying match with Cyprus next month. Tickets are priced at £9. emoji1085.pngemoji1022.png󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

That'll sell out I'm sure. Thankfully I'm in the Elite so will get a ticket nae borr.

Just now, The Moonster said:

At £9 a ticket they could sell that allocation 3 times over IMO.

You should be a Falkirk fan with that patter.

Scotland would not sell 7,000+ tickets for a dead rubber in Cyprus in November if they were 50p a go.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't think McBurnie is great but he's got all the hall marks of being a scapegoat for the Teuchter "gie Shankland and Jason Kerr a run oot eh" types:

- Born in England

- Never played in Scotland

- Rangers fan

- Fashion choice (socks round the ankles)

Agreed,McBurnie seems to be replacing Forrest as the Scotland scapegoat.

8 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

Little quiz for you....

Which uncapped Scotland eligible player played 14 times in Ligue 1 in France last season before moving to a champions league club this season (although has been an unused sub so far in champions league group games)

Don't know but he must be some player if he plays in the Abroad League.

Little quiz for you....
Which uncapped Scotland eligible player played 14 times in Ligue 1 in France last season before moving to a champions league club this season (although has been an unused sub so far in champions league group games)

Didn’t you already post the answer to this? Bobby Allan or some shit. Sub keeper at Dijon and Olympiakos.