Scotland squad next month

Just now, craigkillie said:

In what way is this clear? Iwelumo also had a good scoring record in the Championship and also had a brief spell in the English Premier League.

Iwelumo spent years jobbering around before ending up at Wolves and getting promoted to the Premier League with them where he was used as a sub mostly (and spent much of his time injured). McBurnie scored a barrel load in the Championship at a young age and was bought for a club record fee by an EPL side (I can't be arsed searching, but I'm not sure anyone has ever paid a fee of any note for Iwelumo) and is now starting for them. McBurnie has more caps at 23 than Iwelumo managed in his entire career. I don't think it's a huge stretch to suggest McBurnie is a better player than Iwelumo.

4 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

There is no doubt he has scored goals at a decent level and is now playing at a high level.

I have seen him play now in about 5 or so of his caps and I don't think he has done one single thing to impress me in the slightest.

Both of these things can be, and indeed are, true.

2 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

Both of these things can be, and indeed are, true.

I guess the point I am making is, people on here saying he is gash are getting shot down because he cost 20mill, plays in the EPL and has a decent goal scoring at club level. Whilst it is good to see a young Scottish lad doing ok at club level I only really care about what he does for Scotland and so far (albeit not playing in the best Scotland side) he has done hee haw.

He hasn't scored, hasn't looked like scoring, hasn't held the ball up, hasn't linked with other players, hasn't ran channels and caused defenders any problems and hasn't provided any physical presence or showed any real moments of quality.

19 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I guess the point I am making is, people on here saying he is gash are getting shot down because he cost 20mill, plays in the EPL and has a decent goal scoring at club level. Whilst it is good to see a young Scottish lad doing ok at club level I only really care about what he does for Scotland and so far (albeit not playing in the best Scotland side) he has done hee haw.

He hasn't scored, hasn't looked like scoring, hasn't held the ball up, hasn't linked with other players, hasn't ran channels and caused defenders any problems and hasn't provided any physical presence or showed any real moments of quality.

So your saying he needs to pull his socks up?

7 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Shite that these games were supposed to be about 'finding the right mix' for our problem areas of defence and striker, yet both areas have been utterly rinsed by call-offs.

Seems to happen with every squad these days and It's not like we can actually afford any call-offs in these areas either. It truly is a shite state of affairs...

tumblr_mb2gdyC7pN1r44hpro1_500.gif

It seems increasingly likely we'll go into the first round of the play-offs with an experimental backline choosing from absolute rookies and journeyman jobbers.

And the best that we seem to be able to hope for up front is that Griffiths comes back and immediately finds form, Burke suddenly clicks and can control a football, McBurnie decides to step up and play at international level or Shankland is a leftfield revelation. Not great.

Edited by IggyStooge

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

I don’t think many would deny that he’s been shite but he’s far from the only one. I’d say Robertson, McGinn and McGregor to name 3 have all been incredibly disappointing the past few games - yet it’s quite clear they’re still some of our best options.

The problem we have is finding an 11 that play well together in a system that suits them (and trying to get them a bit of confidence). I’m reluctant to write off any individuals as not good enough based on what we’ve seen the past year.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

In what way is this clear? Iwelumo also had a good scoring record in the Championship and also had a brief spell in the English Premier League.

Iwelumo never hit over 20 a season. Iwelumo never scored 1 in 2 on average over a season. Iwelumo never scored in the premier league. 

McBurnie has done all three and has 10 years left of a career to go. 

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

But that's because it's the usual either utterly brilliant or utterly shite that you get in online discourse.  People that completely write him off are just as wrong as those that point to his fee like it's any kind of guarantee of quality.  He's clearly a good player - you don't get the kind of move he got without being - but that doesn't mean anything really to us.  He's not looked great for Scotland, but then better players than him have suffered from that too.  

Let's face it, unless he completely takes the huff or we unearth some gem, he's going to be starting a hell of a lot more games for us.  May as well get behind him and hope he comes to something approaching good rather than competing to see how shite you think he is like some like to do.

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

People who are talking up McBurnie generally don’t mention the price tag. The people looking to shit on him do. The price tag is irrelevant. The market for English trained players is way over inflated. 

Not been great for Scotland.  Neither has anyone else. Forrest at a stretch but his worst performances are worse than McBurnie’s. No striker is scoring regularly in this team the way we’ve played. Imagine judging Andy Robertson on his recent Scotland performances.

The hype of Shankland playing against San Marino amuses me. The likes of McBurnie and Burke should be playing against them to build their own confidence by banging in a few. 

And almost nobody slating him has actually seen him play club football.  

5 minutes ago, RobbieD said:

The hype of Shankland playing against San Marino amuses me. The likes of McBurnie and Burke should be playing against them to build their own confidence by banging in a few. 

It's a good point.  San Marino is as good a setting as any for someone like Shankland, but is he really going to improve enough to be the option in a playoff in 6 months time?  Unlikely, unless it's a late hail-mary bench option.  McBurnie would've been perfect, but he's "injured".  And Burke is a  Bash Street kid/track athlete masquerading as a footballer.  But still, far more likely to be impactful in a playoff than Shankland.  And if there's one person that needs a bit of confidence to coax something, anything out of whatever he's got, it's Burke.

15 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
16 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:
It's ludicrous to think the service he will get playing for Dundee utd is comparable with what he will get playing for Scotland.

Have you never watched a Scotland match?

Groan for your obvious response.

No you never picked me up wrong.

The Scotland players will create better chances than the Dundee utd players. 

Go and have a look at the stats for this season. I'm fairly confident Utd will have created more chances than Scotland.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
34 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Go and have a look at the stats for this season. I'm fairly confident Utd will have created more chances than Scotland.

Do you not think better quality players create better and more chances?

Do you think that Andy Robertson or Ryan Fraser or James forrest or John Mcginn or any number of players. Would not improve the number and quality of chances if they played for Dundee utd. Is that what you think?

As for the created chance part, christ 

Dundee utd play different games against different teams to the teams Scotland play. Do you know that?